GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I want to know what ya'll think about the suspension on the 2018 GW's. I am told they only hold up to 438lbs. I am 250lbs and the wife is much much much much less :grin2:. But with all the gear and equipment we would be over the 500lb mark I am sure. Traxxion makes a suspension setup but it's $2K. Yall have these new GW's so tell me what ya'll think of the stock suspension. Some claim it's fine. Some claim its a poor design error on Honda's end, poor engineering since its a wishbone setup. Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated. The link is below to the story from Revzilla.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/does-the-new-gold-wing-have-a-big-problem

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The link is below to the story from Revzilla.
This "article" has been discussed on the forum before. It is less news and more a sales pitch by Max.

If you want the bike, buy it. If you decide the suspension needs improvement, Max is there. Some people have gone with his suspension. Many more have not.

Reactions: Hoopdc and Longdraw

·
Registered
505 Posts
The suspension is not the main concern, the individual compartment weight limits are more of an issue if you pack heavy. In terms of ride comfort, I don't have an issue with it and don't feel the need to upgrade shocks. Granted, I am coming from mostly a sport bike background so the GW is riding on luxury compared to what I am accustomed to riding on all day. I generally ride alone so I leave my suspension set at one plus cargo as I weigh around 230.

Reactions: Longdraw

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,539 Posts
I weight 200lbs with all my gear on and I ride with a 130lb passenger here and there and I think the 2018 suspension handles that load pretty well and I'm not in such a hurry for suspension upgrades like I was with my old wings suspension..... but for mostly two-up riding at the weight limit and over..... the Traxxion upgrades would be well worth the expense like it was with the old model.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here is my unprofessional $.02.
This is my first Wing and first "big bike". I weigh in at 340# and ride solo. I tried all the settings and stick with 2 up or 2 up with luggage. I find those settings offer me the best set up for rebound and sport mode has the better damping. I like my suspension stiffer (probably cause Im a fat ass).
I dont feel I "need" the upgrade but it is on my list of winter mods. Id like to take advantage of having some room for play in the suspension when I load her up for a trip (mine and my wife's gear)(wife rides her own bike). I have ordered the decoupling kit to try that out (why not).
All that said I dont think the suspension is horrible but I also know that for a big guy any bike I buy is going to need an upgrade.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Gents,

I want to know what ya'll think about the suspension on the 2018 GW's. I am told they only hold up to 438lbs. I am 250lbs and the wife is much much much much less :grin2:. But with all the gear and equipment we would be over the 500lb mark I am sure. Traxxion makes a suspension setup but it's $2K. Yall have these new GW's so tell me what ya'll think of the stock suspension. Some claim it's fine. Some claim its a poor design error on Honda's end, poor engineering since its a wishbone setup. Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated. The link is below to the story from Revzilla.

remember the price stated does not include install....add about another $1K

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Gents,

I did not like the stock suspension at all, within 24 hours of picking my bike up I had the Traxxion suspension installed, that being said the 2018 wing has the best suspension design of any wing to date, the shocks and springs are the weak points IMHO.

Reactions: Max McAllister

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
This is my fourth Wing and the first one that I absolutely hated the suspension. It is the only bike that I had to have it fixed ASAP before any long trip. The ride was like being on a pogo stick, just bucking up and down off-sync from the front and rear tire. I had Max do the fix because I love the DCT so much that I knew I wanted to keep this bike.

·
Vendor
22,059 Posts

All the $$ numbers for both the shocks and installation sited in this thread are hundreds of dollars higher than what the actual cost is. Contact me if you would like a real estimate, I think you'll be surprised.

·
Registered
376 Posts
FYI, I can install Traxxion shocks in a day if you bring me your bike. I've done quite a few 2018's already, and every owner I've done one for loved it.
I live out west and doubt I'll be riding to Georgia soon. I wasn't sure what options folks like me had for install. Looks pretty involved from what I can see.

·
Vendor
22,059 Posts
I live out west and doubt I'll be riding to Georgia soon. I wasn't sure what options folks like me had for install. Looks pretty involved from what I can see.
FYI, I'm in Arkansas in the heart of some of the best riding in the midwest. Probably a nice 2 - 3 day ride from you depending on how you come.

Do you live in Mountain Home Arkansas still ?
Yes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The front end cost me under $1500 with the tie rod upgrade so add the rear and you'll be close to $2500. Traxxion has a map of installers / retailers. If you're pushing 500 pounds, I'd do it. My wife and I and gear probably go 430-440 and the rear is fine as is. Do the front regardless but doing both at the same time will save a couple hundred dollars at the least.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I would look at it this way - I already made a sizable investment in the purchase of my motorcycle. If I planned to sell it in a year or two and maybe try something else, I wouldn't bother to upgrade the suspension. But if you plan to hold on to it for a while (or in my case quite a long while), I would invest a little more to have a top-of-the-line suspension. In fact, I am doing just that - the appointment for my upgrade is 27 September.

·
Registered
153 Posts
DO I LIKE THE TRAXXION suspension up grade ?
10 months ago before my trip from Fort Lauderdale to Nova Scotia and Labrador , I read all about the Traxxion conversion and the improvements they claimed. Riding past their factory was a short detour so I ordered the full up grade.
On my way North I had second thoughts about wasting all that money. After all the new GW suspension is really good , In fact I was happy with it and nearly phone Max to cancel the modification.
But I didn't cancel and a few days later , I was on my way north with a Traxxion and a vastly improved suspension.
Well its been 10 months and I regret not buying a DCT GW .
I took a new DCT for a test ride and the first thing I noticed is how bouncy the standard suspension is . The bike wallows over bumps and around corners, and scraped pegs , all on the same roads I ride every day, with out scraping
So, I will ride 1300 miles for MAX to remove my suspension , install the standard parts
Trade in my manual GW on a new DCT .
Collect my new DCT, Ride to MAX to fit my old Traxxion suspension they removed a few days earlier .
Total cost for removing Traxxion suspension and installing standard suspension +/- $800
Trading in my bike
and installing the traxxion on the new DCT = $800
Total cost $1600
The dealer wasn't giving me any extra from my suspension up grade so Im removing it.
A new traxxion with labour is about $2600.
Long, complicated, and laborious yes I know
BUT THATS HOW MUCH I APPRECIATE THE DIFFERENCE AND IMPROVEMENT THE TRAXXION CONVERSION DOES.

Crazy yes but when you are old you are allowed to be crazy . Cause you die once , but need to live happy every day.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts