GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know? Got a 2018 6 speed manual B model. I understand they make a six speed manual B model with a reverse for Canada. Lucky Canucks! And they have a reverse on the BD model here in the US. Does anyone think it's possible to buy the parts and have a dealer put them on to have a B model 6 speed with a reverse? Would imagine it would be a two thousand dollar bill. I have a tough in and out of the garage, plus I love the convenience, don't care about the weight of the bike. Thanks...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I don't see that as being an option.:shrug:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh, appreciate the feedback, just a heads up, I'm a 60 year old vet that has owned over 40 bikes and 3 wings. Maybe comment if you have a technical back round. Would appreciate it. The dealers don't know allot about the 18's, can't see what would stop a person from adding a reverse if they are making the model for Canada... Tanks...

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,564 Posts
I'm just wondering and I ask with respect....but why didn't you buy the Gold Wing with the reverse in the first place since you really need it every time you want to get it back in your garage? I didn't even know that all the Gold Wings didn't have the reverse...Me, I would never buy a Gold Wing without the reverse.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed, really like the wings with no trunk. I know, they can be removed for a price and allot of patience. Also, like the dark customs, kinda goes with my personality. Plus, a demo model, thousands off. I'm cheap..

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Pay me now or pay me later....or buy a big box of Wheaties and a routine work out program leg presses....all kidin aside I hope you can find a solution to your situation.

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
Anybody know? Got a 2018 6 speed manual B model. I understand they make a six speed manual B model with a reverse for Canada. Lucky Canucks! And they have a reverse on the BD model here in the US. Does anyone think it's possible to buy the parts and have a dealer put them on to have a B model 6 speed with a reverse? Would imagine it would be a two thousand dollar bill. I have a tough in and out of the garage, plus I love the convenience, don't care about the weight of the bike. Thanks...
The BD is the DCT base model. Its reverse is engine driven and not electric motor driven like the reverse on the 6 speed tour model which uses a separate electric motor for reverse.

Non reverse model does not have a reverse control unit, nor does it have the separate electric motor used for reverse. The ECM and front control units are also different. The non reverse model also doesn’t have all the reverse shift relays and power control relays. The reverse control unit is also tied in with the wing’s CANBUS and the wing has two CANBUS local area networks.

Can it be done? Who knows. :shrug: IMO, I would explore trading in the bike for a model with reverse if you really desire a bike with reverse.

:doorag:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Murf. Lot of data. tkenny, meet me in a dark alley and I'll stick my size 11 flinstones in a place where there is no nuts..Ha ha..

·
IronMan
17,636 Posts
Yep be a whole lot cheaper and easier to remove a trunk instead of trying to add reverse.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Also here in Turkey standart goldwing models (manual) officialy named "goldwing bagger" and sold with a reverse. They are not still equipped with heated seat, grips, TPMS and electronic suspension adjustment and center stand but reverse is on.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Give me a idea Ghostrider. I was thinking $2k. I pieced the replacement Reverse motor unit at $400 and the handle control at $400. There is the Reverse resister $113 and Reverse Shift Actr $152. Reverse Cont Unit $204 and I'm spent. Probably more odds and ends, let alone a good dealer to install, not to void the warranty. Just push the thing...

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
As far as I know all the 1800 Goldwings made since 2001 have reverse. The new DCT models have a gear driven and the 6 speed and previous models to 2018 have electric reverse. Mine is a 2018 1800B and has the electric reverse. I am in Canada. I think any word of a non-reverse model is BS.....
Here is the link for the brochure for the 2018 wing in the States. The base non tour 6 speed in the States does not have reverse.

https://powersports.honda.com/brochure_pdf_files/brochure_gl1800bj.pdf

:doorag:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,564 Posts
Give me a idea Ghostrider. I was thinking $2k. I pieced the replacement Reverse motor unit at $400 and the handle control at $400. There is the Reverse resister $113 and Reverse Shift Actr $152. Reverse Cont Unit $204 and I'm spent. Probably more odds and ends, let alone a good dealer to install, not to void the warranty. Just push the thing...
Yea, but I bet the bikes wiring harness is not setup for all the reverse components even if you were to buy and try to install them..I could be wrong with the 2018, but with the old Gold Wing, Honda had different wiring harnesses for the different models.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea, there probably is different wiring going on. Just thinking though, I know manufactures like to produce in quantity and don't take the time or man hours to do one offs. Just wondering if they produced them for Canada, if they just deleted certain parts and left others. I know HD does it with several of their models. I would find several unplugged harness plugs. I asked the mechanic and he said they run the same main in several models and just add and subtract. Contacted Honda Powersports of America, that was funny. I suggested a kit for people in the USA that wanted a reverse on the base model. They said they would send it up. You know what that means.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,564 Posts
Yea, there probably is different wiring going on. Just thinking though, I know manufactures like to produce in quantity and don't take the time or man hours to do one offs. Just wondering if they produced them for Canada, if they just deleted certain parts and left others. I know HD does it with several of their models. I would find several unplugged harness plugs. I asked the mechanic and he said they run the same main in several models and just add and subtract. Contacted Honda Powersports of America, that was funny. I suggested a kit for people in the USA that wanted a reverse on the base model. They said they would send it up. You know what that means.
Honda did make different main wiring harness for the old models. My friend got into a accident with his 08 while on a road trip down to Daytona Bike Week...anyways... on his ride home something happened and his wiring harness was burnt or shorted.... he had to buy a new main wiring harness from Honda. He had a local guy repairing his wing and the guy ordered the wrong main wiring harness and it would not fit his 08 with the comfort and Navi...and guess what, Honda would not take back the brand new wiring harness becasue it was opened....that was a very expensive mistake, he was stuck with a brand new main wiring harness that wouldn't fit his bike and had to buy again the correct main wiring harness....he still has that brand new main wiring harness sitting in his garage.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That sucks. Had the new Wing out today, it was 55 degrees when I got home from work. First ride. Love the exhaust note, different from my 05. Little like the 2014 CTX 1300, but allot more torque and ponies. Snug riding position, easy reach controls. Really cool. Don't want to give up the 6 speed manual, don't want to give up the dark custom looks with no trunk. Still wouldn't turn down a reverse, even if it cost me some weight. Not meant to be for now.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts