GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
F4 Customs
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks if you can please add your F4 Windshield pictures on your 2018 GL1800 and comment on the size you have installed so others can see what you purchased and how it is working out for you.
Thanks
Don

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Look like nice shields.

But, something to think about if you ride at night a lot. You'd better be able to look over the top of that shield when it is in the full down position when riding. If not, you won't be able to see the road well enough to ride safely in the dark.

I had to remove a tinted shield from one of my older Wings for just that reason. Not safe to ride at night if you have to look through a tinted shield. So, make sure that you are tall enough to see over it when fully down.

Reactions: goldwing fan

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
20" F4 tinted and I absolutely love it! Just got back from a 3500 mile trip and I couldn't be more satisfied with the shield.
sooooo what did it change for you ; putting serious thought into this !!! My shoulders get beat alot at highway speed and wind noise. But I dont want to get roasted either. Everything has trade offs. sigh!!>:)

Reactions: Goldwing-Tour

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
sooooo what did it change for you ; putting serious thought into this !!! My shoulders get beat alot at highway speed and wind noise. But I dont want to get roasted either. Everything has trade offs. sigh!!>:)
Way better shoulder protection and much improved wind noise. My recent trip saw temps up to 90 degrees and still had plenty of circulation. I was fighting cross winds 35-45 MPH at times and once I was finally able to turn into the wind, it was like they weren't even there thanks to the F4.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Standard heigh (20 inch) in light tint. Does a great job of kicking the wind up and over my head at even close to the lowest position (I am 5'10")

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Look like nice shields.

But, something to think about if you ride at night a lot. You'd better be able to look over the top of that shield when it is in the full down position when riding. If not, you won't be able to see the road well enough to ride safely in the dark.

I had to remove a tinted shield from one of my older Wings for just that reason. Not safe to ride at night if you have to look through a tinted shield. So, make sure that you are tall enough to see over it when fully down.

Thanks for the advice. I can see over it no problem for night riding. The tint is also light enough to see thru it at night too.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Winigman71, I took my first long night ride on my '18 last Wednesday. The moonlight was sometimes strong , but in our hilly backroad country it is still really dark. I have the light tint and recurve shield. I was wearing a half helmet, so had to keep shield up to keep from eating bugs. No problem seeing at all through the shield or in slower areas over it.

prs

Reactions: F4Customs

·
Registered
794 Posts
Does anybody with the 20" re-curve notice any change in their gas mileage --- for better or for worse or no change at all? Thanks. Appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
794 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Does anybody with the 20" re-curve notice any change in their gas mileage --- for better or for worse or no change at all? Thanks. Appreciate your feedback.
I didn't notice any change at all.

Honestly, the windshield is only 4 inches wider.....even taking into account the recurve at the top, and it would probably take wind tunnel testing to determine if there is any more drag.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I didn't notice any change at all.

Honestly, the windshield is only 4 inches wider.....even taking into account the recurve at the top, and it would probably take wind tunnel testing to determine if there is any more drag.
Thank you for the feedback. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I didn't notice any appreciable changes since adding my F4.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts