GL1800Riders Forums banner

2018 Goldwing pictures with the F4 Windshield

7K views 42 replies 24 participants last post by  Mengy 
#1 ·
Hey folks if you can please add your F4 Windshield pictures on your 2018 GL1800 and comment on the size you have installed so others can see what you purchased and how it is working out for you.
Thanks
Don

#5 ·
Look like nice shields.

But, something to think about if you ride at night a lot. You'd better be able to look over the top of that shield when it is in the full down position when riding. If not, you won't be able to see the road well enough to ride safely in the dark.

I had to remove a tinted shield from one of my older Wings for just that reason. Not safe to ride at night if you have to look through a tinted shield. So, make sure that you are tall enough to see over it when fully down.

#8 ·
sooooo what did it change for you ; putting serious thought into this !!! My shoulders get beat alot at highway speed and wind noise. But I dont want to get roasted either. Everything has trade offs. sigh!!>:)

Reactions: Goldwing-Tour
#10 ·
Standard heigh (20 inch) in light tint. Does a great job of kicking the wind up and over my head at even close to the lowest position (I am 5'10")

Attachments

#12 ·
Winigman71, I took my first long night ride on my '18 last Wednesday. The moonlight was sometimes strong , but in our hilly backroad country it is still really dark. I have the light tint and recurve shield. I was wearing a half helmet, so had to keep shield up to keep from eating bugs. No problem seeing at all through the shield or in slower areas over it.

prs

Reactions: F4Customs
#16 ·
I didn't notice any change at all.

Honestly, the windshield is only 4 inches wider.....even taking into account the recurve at the top, and it would probably take wind tunnel testing to determine if there is any more drag.

#21 ·
Kind of off topic, but related. Does anyone know if that little logo sticker that says F4 at the bottom of the windshield can be removed safely, without harming the windshield, and if so, how ?

My shield came with that logo sticker thing off center and crooked. It doesn't look very good and I'd like to remove it if I can without damaging the shield.

#30 ·
That’s a great question, I get this breeze on the back of my neck too with the stock shield. It’s much stronger than anything I ever felt while riding Harleys. In cold weather riding I’ve taken to putting my hood up under the helmet just to keep the cold breeze off the back of my neck.

If the F4’s airflow solves this neck breeze I’d order one IMMEDIATELY. Not even kidding! :grin2:

#24 ·
hulkss, could you let us know what the airflow feels like with the +4 without the inner flaps?
I prefer the look of the bike without them, but would live with them if there substantial negative effects in airflow with them removed and the shield fully up.
I am one of the few that is comfortable looking through my windshield...

#32 ·
I have had F4 shields on previous bikes and like them. I too plan on the clear standard height F4 20" shield but plan on taking the winglets off. They no longer have a purpose if the shield is wider than the wings. Am I correct or wrong?

#35 ·
I have the F4 24" tinted windshield. It provides a lot more wind buffeting protection over the stock OEM windshield, but I'm not crazy about the amount of flex at highway speeds with that big windshield. Jury is still out on this one.

#37 ·
My 20" clear with recurve gets delivered tomorrow, I will have it installed before I go to bed so I can test it riding into work Thursday morning. Looking forward to comparing it to the stock shield, I'll add my own picture to this thread once I get it!

#41 ·
Pics attached. Not sure why they are rotated the way that they are.

Well-built, the tint is very light, so I don't think I'll have any problems at night (although I try to avoid riding at night).

Attachments

#43 ·
I'm 5'8".

I went for a ride over my lunch break as its very nice out today. One thing I have noticed is an ever so slight whistling noise between the speeds of about 30-50 mph when the height is set an inch or two below my eyes. It's very quiet but definitely there, and its a noise the stock shield never made. The whistle might be there at any height but with the shield low the wind noise probably masks it, and with it full up the whistle seems to fade for the most part. It also seems to fade above 50mph too.

Not sure what's causing it but it must be wind passing over or through the shield somewhere. Maybe the recurve is causing it? Again its very quiet, but I'd like to find some way to eliminate it if I can.

Has anyone else noticed a faint whisting noise from the F4 20" shield?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.