GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, a newbie here. I am looking to purchase a 2018 Wing. 95% of my riding will be me. I hate to buy a bike for that other 5% of the time that my wife will be with me. That being said, if I got the tour model, can or how easy is the trunk to take off? I am not expecting it to be easy, but I'd like to have it for her, but I dont need it for me. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
435 Posts
It's an involved process. You'll also need to buy some parts to fill in the "hole" that will be left without the trunk.

I was in a similar boat. I ride alone. I preferred the look of the non-tour, but I bought a Tour for the extra features. I have since come to love the trunk. I bought the carpet mat and cargo organizer. I keep a soft-cooler in the trunk with cold water bottles, and my helmet fits in the trunk when I stop for food.

I'd suggest trying to live with the trunk, at first. You may come to like it, as I did.

If you do want to remove it, these are the parts you need:

http://shop.powersports.honda.com/p/trunk-removal-kit
http://shop.powersports.honda.com/p/trunk-removal-color-kit

And here's a video:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Buy the bagger model and install an aftermarket trunk that is easily removable. I got the expandable Shad58x trunk. It goes on and off in seconds. Plus you can have it in the leaner meaner low profile look, or expand it to full size.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Hello, a newbie here. I am looking to purchase a 2018 Wing. 95% of my riding will be me. I hate to buy a bike for that other 5% of the time that my wife will be with me. That being said, if I got the tour model, can or how easy is the trunk to take off? I am not expecting it to be easy, but I'd like to have it for her, but I dont need it for me. Thanks in advance.
Max at Traxxion makes a bracket kit that can convert the slow change over to a quick changeover.

The Honda kit was not designed/intended to be a quicky changeover.

I believe Max has a video of how his kit works.

FWIW, I'm also from the camp that likes the look of no trunk, but like the utility it provides -- so mine is on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts