Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone added a Garmin Zumo 595 to there 2018 Goldwing. Were you able to run
the sound to your helmets?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a Garmin Zumo 395, paired to my phone and Sena SRL. The SRL is also paired to the Honda. I can listen to music from the Honda and the Garmin will interrupt with nav instructions, or I can listen to music stored on the 395.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have the Zumo 595. Paired it to my helmet (J&M BT04) but not to bike. Works great. Takes precedence over other audio . When instructions are given, other audio is muted. Works great.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a different setup maybe you can help me with. I have corded headsets with a J&M Blu Hub in order to bluetooth the headsets. How would you suggest pairing the Zumo 595 this way. Also, did you connect your power source for the 595 directly to the bike? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
@Wingdriver I wired my 595 to the Acc terminal with 5amp in-line fuse, it's off and on with the switch.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Has anyone added a Garmin Zumo 595 to there 2018 Goldwing. Were you able to run
the sound to your helmets?
Do not waste your money on Zumo 595. I've done that and ... took it out. Mine reason... there is much more on Carplay than on Zumo. And it is there, ready and just need to be used. The biggest difference is the resolution. I've been using Garmin for years and always get the latest model for my business van. They are great. But, Zumo ??? simply, is not visible.??? And the screen is smaller than than GL's.
The resolution is too low for motorbike user. Hard to see the screen details. If you wear bright jacket, all reflects to the screen. And the sun reflection from behind, makes it useless. On the other side, the GL screen is excellent. Nice and clear, right in front of you. Not distracted with anything. All you have to do is to buy Iphone, (possibly cheaper than Zumo), and use it. I know... Android user are hard to accept it, but...
I've been using Android since they started, and I love it. Better than Iphone, definitely. But now I started with Iphone Xs, and, even not so good as Android, is much more functional on the bike and I can tolerate the functions which I've lost from Android. I am using Sygic and it works perfectly everywhere. Does not need the phone data and GPS is always there, as are the all the Carplay options. That is the best you can do to make your Goldwing doing what you have paid for. Anyway, my Zumo 595 with TPMS sensors is for sale, and if someone disagrees with me, he can have it for much better price than new. Even this is not old, still under warranty, used for less than one months only, but with Australian maps option.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Google maps and Google play music both are brilliant on Car play. If you use Apple maps you have got a split screen. Just get a old iPhone and connect it to the hotspot on your Android phone. I prefer Android phones, but I have to admit that Apple Car play is great and cannot fault it after 2 years.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a different setup maybe you can help me with. I have corded headsets with a J&M Blu Hub in order to bluetooth the headsets. How would you suggest pairing the Zumo 595 this way. Also, did you connect your power source for the 595 directly to the bike? Thanks
Do not waste your money on Zumo 595. I've done that and ... took it out. Mine reason... there is much more on Carplay than on Zumo. And it is there, ready and just need to be used. The biggest difference is the resolution. I've been using Garmin for years and always get the latest model for my business van. They are great. But, Zumo ??? simply, is not visible.??? And the screen is smaller than than GL's.
The resolution is too low for motorbike user. Hard to see the screen details. If you wear bright jacket, all reflects to the screen. And the sun reflection from behind, makes it useless. On the other side, the GL screen is excellent. Nice and clear, right in front of you. Not distracted with anything. All you have to do is to buy Iphone, (possibly cheaper than Zumo), and use it. I know... Android user are hard to accept it, but...
I've been using Android since they started, and I love it. Better than Iphone, definitely. But now I started with Iphone Xs, and, even not so good as Android, is much more functional on the bike and I can tolerate the functions which I've lost from Android. I am using Sygic and it works perfectly everywhere. Does not need the phone data and GPS is always there, as are the all the Carplay options. That is the best you can do to make your Goldwing doing what you have paid for. Anyway, my Zumo 595 with TPMS sensors is for sale, and if someone disagrees with me, he can have it for much better price than new. Even this is not old, still under warranty, used for less than one months only, but with Australian maps option.
Thanks for the reply. This certainly helps. I will give your recommendations a try.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have a new 2019 trike and refuse to fall down that rabbit hole of being "forced" to buy an apple phone to make the bikes features function better/properly. I still cant believe Honda would do this sort of crap making a system proprietary to a specific manufacturer. I'm still currently designing my own mount to install my own GPS system on my trike. I will say that the audio/GPS was the most disappointing feature on the new models.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
I have a new 2019 trike and refuse to fall down that rabbit hole of being "forced" to buy an apple phone to make the bikes features function better/properly. I still cant believe Honda would do this sort of crap making a system proprietary to a specific manufacturer.
I used to think that way too...right before I bought my wing I bought a 600 dollar Android phone and was thinking no way was I spending more money on a phone....but...after plugging a old iPhone into my bike using my Android phone as a hot spot, I just didnt know what I was missing... if you want to experence all the wing has to offer, Apple just works with this Gold Wing...iPod works perfectly and iPhones give you what the iPod can do along with Car Play, Wase, voice commands, text messaging and what ever else it can do...in comparson my Android phone is next to useless with this Gold Wing....doesnt make sense to resist Apple when it just works and gives you all this bike offers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I thought I heard at one time that an update was coming that might have Android Auto. I believe I'll wait to see what that update is, before buying an Iphone.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a new 2019 trike and refuse to fall down that rabbit hole of being "forced" to buy an apple phone to make the bikes features function better/properly. I still cant believe Honda would do this sort of crap making a system proprietary to a specific manufacturer. I'm still currently designing my own mount to install my own GPS system on my trike. I will say that the audio/GPS was the most disappointing feature on the new models.
From what I understand it is not Honda’s fault there isn’t AA on the wing. I’m glad they at least were able to get CarPlay and some android users are taking advantage of it.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
I don't get the frenzy with Carplay supporters.

With a mounted GPS and an Android phone, one can do everything Carplay does and better...without connectivity issues. The route I once entered into the Honda Navi from a mem-stick was majorly chaotic.
I don't see the point of Carplay unless it becomes android-friendly.

About the most convenient thing I see on Carplay is that you can hit the phone button on the handlebar instead of having to lift your hand alllll the way up to your (Sena) bluetooth button all your helmet to make a call...of course, you can always use voice command and equal the task's difficulty.

Sometimes it seems like, no matter what a manufacturer does wrong, some folks have to come out on defense of the brand name--maybe to justify the consumer (buck) experience.

By any modern standard of software and technological gadgetry, the Goldwing Honda Carplay is well below par.

Ok, I will now put one my flame-protection suit!

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
I don't get the frenzy with Carplay supporters.

With a mounted GPS and an Android phone, one can do everything Carplay does and better...without connectivity issues. The route I once entered into the Honda Navi from a mem-stick was majorly chaotic.
I don't see the point of Carplay unless it becomes android-friendly.

About the most convenient thing I see on Carplay is that you can hit the phone button on the handlebar instead of having to lift your hand alllll the way up to your (Sena) bluetooth button all your helmet to make a call...of course, you can always use voice command and equal the task's difficulty.

Sometimes it seems like, no matter what a manufacturer does wrong, some folks have to come out on defense of the brand name--maybe to justify the consumer (buck) experience.

By any modern standard of software and technological gadgetry, the Goldwing Honda Carplay is well below par.

Ok, I will now put one my flame-protection suit!
Some find bolting on a gps or phone to the handlebars unsightly...some want to see everything on the bikes screen and use the bikes controls to work everything...well at least I do :)

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
'Unsightly' is not a feature of concern for my touring needs 'pragmatic' and 'reliable' are more like the factors I adhere to for equipping my bike.
I gave up 'looking-cool' a long time ago.

But I mean, if Carplay works well for users that is great.

Some people will swear by the 'ease' of using an iPhone, whereas I, and probably others, find the android platform much easier to use and configure to one's own praxis

·
Registered
82 Posts
'Unsightly' is not a feature of concern for my touring needs 'pragmatic' and 'reliable' are more like the factors I adhere to for equipping my bike.
I gave up 'looking-cool' a long time ago.

But I mean, if Carplay works well for users that is great.

Some people will swear by the 'ease' of using an iPhone, whereas I, and probably others, find the android platform much easier to use and configure to one's own praxis
ZUMO 595 is made for BMW GS. That is the ugliest bike on market. ZUMO is very ugly too, but can not make BMW uglier. But it makes Goldwing ugly. It brakes the bikes aerodynamic lines and does not fit the bikes luxury category.
I posted earlier that I bought and installed one, because it was "much better than Carplay" and works with Android ?
Because, for me, Android is much, much better than IOS. Then I decided to try Iphone and Carplay. I bought Ipone8 and, even makes me to get a hammer and fix it #%&!... There is a big difference between using Carplay and Zumo.
It takes time to get to use it, but, then is worth it. Then I bought Iphone Xs and took Zumo out. I am using Sygic maps and everything works perfectly. The biggest difference is in the screen size and especially RESOLUTION...
Everything is integrated and functional on bike while riding. Yes...Yes...I must admit...I am missing my Samsung S9, but, on the end, Carplay on Goldwing is compensating it very successfully. If Android comes on GL, I will go back to Android. But for now, this is the way to go....FOR ME.
My question for all Zumo users is...What is better with Zumo than with Carplay. Question for riders who used both...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts