GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Personally, I've never got the passion people feel - negative or positive - towards a technology company. I'm sure Apple have done some shady things over the years that may provoke hostility in some, but I'm sure Google have as well. Which company is shadier? I really don't care, I find it boring. For those who do care, and think Apple is shadier, then I guess sticking with the built-in nav or bolting a Garmin onto the bars is all you can do.

For anyone else, you may as well at least try Apple CarPlay before you go the Garmin on the bars route. To try Apple CarPlay, literally all you have to do is buy a 2nd hand iPhone on fleabay and plug it into the USB port on the bike. There, done. That took about 5 minutes of your time, and you don't have to get a SIM card and use it as your normal everyday phone if you don't want to as others have already posted to say. Worst case scenario, you sell the iPhone again on fleabay for about what you paid for it, and do the Garmin on the handlebars thing after all. What have you lost by trying it?

Also, can we please stop criticising Honda for Android Auto not being available? It was very well publicised that Honda approached both Apple and Google, and Google weren't interested in updating Android Auto to work with motorcycles. For those who are passionately pro-Google, it may not feel good to admit anything is their fault, but in this case it certainly was their decision, not Honda's.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
. To try Apple CarPlay, literally all you have to do is buy a 2nd hand iPhone on fleabay and plug it into the USB port on the bike. There, done. That took about 5 minutes of your time, and you don't have to get a SIM card and use it as your normal everyday phone if you don't want to as others have already posted to say. Worst case scenario, you sell the iPhone again on fleabay for about what you paid for it, and do the Garmin on the handlebars thing after all. What have you lost by trying it?
@WingingMatt, I am interested in this proposition: I got an Apple SE and would like to see Waze on the Carplay display while I use an Android for phone calls and a Garmin for GPS, is that possible without a sim card? How?

I have zero the same loyalty for Corp as they have for me: zero!...I just found that using an iPhone was a PITA and the GPS on Carplay is kaka. But I am interested in your proposition

·
Registered
628 Posts
@WingingMatt, I am interested in this proposition: I got an Apple SE and would like to see Waze on the Carplay display while I use an Android for phone calls and a Garmin for GPS, is that possible without a sim card? How?

I have zero the same loyalty for Corp as they have for me: zero!...I just found that using an iPhone was a PITA and the GPS on Carplay is kaka. But I am interested in your proposition
I haven't tested it myself, so I'm relying on information posted previously by other people who have said that they have. But as I understand it, you set up a wifi hotspot on your Android phone, then connect your iPhone to this wifi hotspot. You can then download Waze from the App Store, and plug your iPhone into the bike. Meanwhile, keep your Android phone on you somewhere and the iPhone will use the data connection on your Android for downloading maps etc. as you ride.

I imagine the iPhone will give you all kinds of "warning, no SIM card" or similar messages while you're trying to set it up though. You'll just have to persevere through these. As I say, I've not done this myself, but others on here have so it must be possible.

Waze is quite nice on the Goldwing last I used it. The interface makes it easy to report traffic alerts and similar to other road users as you ride by using the controls on the left handgrip. I stopped using it myself though, as I found its rerouting was a little too aggressive at times, and it would make me take crazy detours just to shave a minute off my journey time. For some that may be a selling point though, but I found it irritating.

Another app you may want to look into is Sygic. If you do a lot of complex multi-waypoint trips, and want to use GPX files created by someone else, etc. then I think Sygic is probably best for that. But it does cost money, and CarPlay support is an extra in-app purchase on top of that. So make sure you're content with the iPhone SE solution in general first before you take the plunge there.

To be honest, I use Google Maps for most multi-waypoint trips anyway. It's harder to 'pre-plan' them than Sygic, but I do most of my pre-planning with typed notes anyway. A typical day on one of my multi-day touring itineraries will look like this -

"Day 6 - Wake up early, long riding day. Head to <insert town name here> down A123, turning onto B4215 near turning for <this town> in order to ride the Whatever Pass. Stop off at <another town> for lunch, looks like Big Calorie-laden Burgers for Matt on the High Street do a good cheeseburger. After lunch, take the fastest route to <another town> and if there's time look around <some museum>. Then take the B6382, then A321, then A322 to <final town> and hotel."

Then when I wake up in the morning, those directions are good enough for me to input the route I wanted to take with multiple waypoints in Google Maps. Takes me about 5 minutes over breakfast usually. But I know that some people like to have all the GPX files done in advance of the trip, and for those people Sygic is probably more useful than Google Maps.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Did you try your Iphone SE with Carplay? I am curious if it works because SE is actually Android phone ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I haven't tested it myself, so I'm relying on information posted previously by other people who have said that they have. But as I understand it, you set up a wifi hotspot on your Android phone, then connect your iPhone to this wifi hotspot. You can then download Waze from the App Store, and plug your iPhone into the bike. Meanwhile, keep your Android phone on you somewhere and the iPhone will use the data connection on your Android for downloading maps etc. as you ride.

I imagine the iPhone will give you all kinds of "warning, no SIM card" or similar messages while you're trying to set it up though. You'll just have to persevere through these. As I say, I've not done this myself, but others on here have so it must be possible.

Waze is quite nice on the Goldwing last I used it. The interface makes it easy to report traffic alerts and similar to other road users as you ride by using the controls on the left handgrip. I stopped using it myself though, as I found its rerouting was a little too aggressive at times, and it would make me take crazy detours just to shave a minute off my journey time. For some that may be a selling point though, but I found it irritating.

Another app you may want to look into is Sygic. If you do a lot of complex multi-waypoint trips, and want to use GPX files created by someone else, etc. then I think Sygic is probably best for that. But it does cost money, and CarPlay support is an extra in-app purchase on top of that. So make sure you're content with the iPhone SE solution in general first before you take the plunge there.

To be honest, I use Google Maps for most multi-waypoint trips anyway. It's harder to 'pre-plan' them than Sygic, but I do most of my pre-planning with typed notes anyway. A typical day on one of my multi-day touring itineraries will look like this -

"Day 6 - Wake up early, long riding day. Head to <insert town name here> down A123, turning onto B4215 near turning for <this town> in order to ride the Whatever Pass. Stop off at <another town> for lunch, looks like Big Calorie-laden Burgers for Matt on the High Street do a good cheeseburger. After lunch, take the fastest route to <another town> and if there's time look around <some museum>. Then take the B6382, then A321, then A322 to <final town> and hotel."

Then when I wake up in the morning, those directions are good enough for me to input the route I wanted to take with multiple waypoints in Google Maps. Takes me about 5 minutes over breakfast usually. But I know that some people like to have all the GPX files done in advance of the trip, and for those people Sygic is probably more useful than Google Maps.
You do not need Hotspot with Sygic. Connect you headset with the bike as a second phone and you can use and listen the navigation and music. Connect the headset with you phone as a first phone and you can talk. Leave the Iphone on the bike and keep you Android with you. If you want to keep Iphone safe, run the USB cable in the right side compartment and it will be locked when you are not on the bike.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Did you try your Iphone SE with Carplay? I am curious if it works because SE is actually Android phone ?
You've posted this before, and I don't know what you mean by this? The iPhone SE is a phone made by Apple that runs Apple's operating system, iOS. It does not run Android, which is Google's operating system.

You do not need Hotspot with Sygic. Connect you headset with the bike as a second phone and you can use and listen the navigation and music. Connect the headset with you phone as a first phone and you can talk. Leave the Iphone on the bike and keep you Android with you. If you want to keep Iphone safe, run the USB cable in the right side compartment and it will be locked when you are not on the bike.
Ah yes, you're correct about Sygic not needing your Android as a hotspot, as it uses offline maps. That said, you may as well still hotspot the iPhone to the Android handset because it's easy to do and opens up other features like more mapping applications and things like music streaming applications. For example, if you use Spotify to listen to music usually (on your Android phone or otherwise), you can download Spotify onto your iPhone too and then use the CarPlay interface to access your music that way. Much easier than attempting to do it by linking the Android phone to the headset directly because you can use handlebar controls, see the music information on the screen, etc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You've posted this before, and I don't know what you mean by this? The iPhone SE is a phone made by Apple that runs Apple's operating system, iOS. It does not run Android, which is Google's operating system.

Ah yes, you're correct about Sygic not needing your Android as a hotspot, as it uses offline maps. That said, you may as well still hotspot the iPhone to the Android handset because it's easy to do and opens up other features like more mapping applications and things like music streaming applications. For example, if you use Spotify to listen to music usually (on your Android phone or otherwise), you can download Spotify onto your iPhone too and then use the CarPlay interface to access your music that way. Much easier than attempting to do it by linking the Android phone to the headset directly because you can use handlebar controls, see the music information on the screen, etc.
First. Which model SE you are using ? The new 2020' is using Android system. If anybody is using this, I want to know does it works or not. Lately Apple and Google decided to work together and a lot of things are changing.
Second. I know you can go better with Hotspot for some features but I decided to go with Sygic only, and use FM radio or my USB music. The reason was the remote areas where no mobile coverage is. There all navigation stops working and you have to reconnect everything to make navigation working again. For me Sygic is all I want when I am riding and it works perfectly for me. The GL screen is very good, big with high resolution and visible in every condition. Also, We have few very good motorbike rides around Sydney, and some of them are not covered with mobile networks and Hotspot doesn't work. My headset is connected to bike as a second phone and I can access all music features from the screen. Android is connected to headset as a first phone and I can use Sena options for making and receiving calls. Do not need anything more...

·
Registered
628 Posts
First. Which model SE you are using ? The new 2020' is using Android system. If anybody is using this, I want to know does it works or not. Lately Apple and Google decided to work together and a lot of things are changing.
Second. I know you can go better with Hotspot for some features but I decided to go with Sygic only, and use FM radio or my USB music. The reason was the remote areas where no mobile coverage is. There all navigation stops working and you have to reconnect everything to make navigation working again. For me Sygic is all I want when I am riding and it works perfectly for me. The GL screen is very good, big with high resolution and visible in every condition. Also, We have few very good motorbike rides around Sydney, and some of them are not covered with mobile networks and Hotspot doesn't work. My headset is connected to bike as a second phone and I can access all music features from the screen. Android is connected to headset as a first phone and I can use Sena options for making and receiving calls. Do not need anything more...
Unless I have lost my mind, you are wrong on the first point. The 2020 Apple iPhone SE uses Apple's operating system, iOS. Why would Apple use Google's operating system?

But yep, absolutely on the Sygic thing. It is fantastic in areas of limited mobile coverage because it doesn't need a data connection. When I was in the US I used it more as there are a lot of areas especially towards the west of the country of patchy signal. Now I'm back in the UK, it's rare that I lose signal as it's a smaller country with greater population density, so I use Sygic less.

One other way to do mapping via CarPlay in areas of limited signal without paying for Sygic is to download offline maps in your Google Maps app, which also works well in my experience. Better POI information that way than using Sygic too.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
I guess everyone is finding their comfy nitch for GPSerias.

I find the GarminVI on the handlebar gets it done. What I would like to do is find a way to see Waze on Carplay without losing my Android capabilities.

The iPhone SE came out a while back in response to those Apple-heads complaining that the iPhones were getting too large...consequently, the SE model was the upgraded technology stuffed into a iPhone 5 or 6 case. Its a small iphone which was pretty good when it first came out--still works on carplay...but I presume is passe' technology by now as Apple phones go.

Its NOT AND ANDROID!!!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts