GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for constructive troubleshooting suggestions that I can relay to my dealer on Tuesday (they are closed on Mondays). Got about 3 miles on my 2018 GWT6 today, and the transmission refused to go any higher than 2nd. Downshifts no problem, and every now and then I could engage 3rd, but it was hit or miss, mostly miss. While trying not to get run over, I did switch from Tour to Sport one time, and the transmission engaged 3rd on the first try, but not after that, and it would not upshift any further. Switched back to Tour and limped home safely in 2nd. Tried shifting without using clutch, no luck. Bike just had state inspection, clutch fluid seems to be OK, about 5,700 miles on the odo.

I have thought the transmission to be clunky since Day 1, especially when compared to my 998R which is butter smooth. There were also occasions where I'd had to rock the bike forward after using "R" to have it disengage, and I was going to have that adjusted at the next service, but not now! I suspect a bent shift fork, but that is an uneducated guess.

I put the bike on the centerstand, and was able to engage all gears upshifting, but sometimes it wouldn't engage until the clutch lever was halfway released! The clutch microswitch was replaced at 5,200 miles as I had the HSA light issue, and that has not reoccurred. I suspect some type of clutch adjustment issue, but who knows? Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
still no update.....I am guessing the solution was found, and he is too embarrassed to post :) :)
You may be right, love to hear what was wrong.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,541 Posts
One post dated 3/26 said bike was at dealership. That was nine days ago. If something seriously was wrong with the tranny, it could take awhile to get it fixed especially if dealership is waiting for parts.

:doorag:
That's assuming that the dealer jumps right on the job too...too many dealers let the bike sit for weeks or even months before they even start on it..especially if you didn't buy the bike from them.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Where's Fluke? Oh no, wait, wrong thread... >:)

(Seriously though, hope it gets fixed Phoenix... I'm sure it will!)

·
Love The DCT
12,014 Posts
That's assuming that the dealer jumps right on the job too...too many dealers let the bike sit for weeks or even months before they even start on it..especially if you didn't buy the bike from them.
My bike would not be sitting for weeks or months at a dealership waiting for them to start on repairs.

:doorag:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Long overdue update. After I was able to shift gears with the bike on the centerstand, I had the bike towed to the dealership and it arrived after hours. They test rode the bike the next day and...there were no issues. I have ridden the bike hundreds of miles since then, without issue.

I have absolutely no idea what happened, nor can I figure out why I couldn't shift while both tires were on the ground, and then as if by magic, the transmission worked while the rear tire was suspended. I guess we just need to chalk this one up to an unsolved mystery.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Many people come to the Gold Wing family from other brand were they shift with out the clutch, the wing is not so forgiving not saying that is what took place, I never shifted without the clutch when I had a clutch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts