GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Months ago I posted a thread about having difficulty upshifting from 2nd to 3rd, and from 3rd to 4th, only while wearing Daytona Road Star GTX boots (full length, ideal for cold weather riding). While wearing Daytona Arrow Sport GTX boots (ankle length), there was never an issue. Downshifts were never an issue regardless of what boot was worn. After much thought and dealer input, the issue has been resolved. I'm posting the solution in case anyone else encounters something similar.

Reader's Digest version: The height of the Road Star boots, when compared to the Arrow Sport, was between 1/8' to 1/4" higher than the Arrow Sport. The additional thickness of the leather forward of the ankle lessened my ability to "feel" where the gear shift lever was on the toe of the Road Star. When upshifting with the GWT6 (and probably any manual transmission 2018/9 GW), if the gear shift lever detent is not allowed to fully engage, you can't upshift unless you lightly tap the gear shift lever down, and then upshift. I can't begin to tell you how long it took to determine that this was the cause... I found that I had to consciously try to angle my foot down with the Road Star boots, fighting against the leather (granted, the boots are not fully broken in either). If I was off by just a fraction, I'd have to tap the gear shift lever down, and then upshift. Quite a PITA...

The solution (for me) was to loosen the gear shift arm bolt (10mm, and you have to actually remove it!), and rotate the gear shift arm one spline counter-clockwise. This elevated the gear shift lever to the perfect position for me when riding with the Road Star boots. Refer to page 13-18 in the 2018/9 Service Manual. Making this adjustment takes less than two minutes.

The pictures indicate with a red arrow and red line where the original position of the gear shift lever and gear shift arm were before the adjustment was made. I made no adjustment to the gear shift lever rod.

I hope that this information saves anyone else from having to go through the same drill that I did! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Months ago I posted a thread about having difficulty upshifting from 2nd to 3rd, and from 3rd to 4th, only while wearing Daytona Road Star GTX boots (full length, ideal for cold weather riding). While wearing Daytona Arrow Sport GTX boots (ankle length), there was never an issue. Downshifts were never an issue regardless of what boot was worn. After much thought and dealer input, the issue has been resolved. I'm posting the solution in case anyone else encounters something similar.

Reader's Digest version: The height of the Road Star boots, when compared to the Arrow Sport, was between 1/8' to 1/4" higher than the Arrow Sport. The additional thickness of the leather forward of the ankle lessened my ability to "feel" where the gear shift lever was on the toe of the Road Star. When upshifting with the GWT6 (and probably any manual transmission 2018/9 GW), if the gear shift lever detent is not allowed to fully engage, you can't upshift unless you lightly tap the gear shift lever down, and then upshift. I can't begin to tell you how long it took to determine that this was the cause... I found that I had to consciously try to angle my foot down with the Road Star boots, fighting against the leather (granted, the boots are not fully broken in either). If I was off by just a fraction, I'd have to tap the gear shift lever down, and then upshift. Quite a PITA...

The solution (for me) was to loosen the gear shift arm bolt (10mm, and you have to actually remove it!), and rotate the gear shift arm one spline counter-clockwise. This elevated the gear shift lever to the perfect position for me when riding with the Road Star boots. Refer to page 13-18 in the 2018/9 Service Manual. Making this adjustment takes less than two minutes.

The pictures indicate with a red arrow and red line where the original position of the gear shift lever and gear shift arm were before the adjustment was made. I made no adjustment to the gear shift lever rod.

I hope that this information saves anyone else from having to go through the same drill that I did! ;)
Nice! I'm curious.. did you attempt to raise it using the shift lever rod adjustment first? (I assume that's what it's for.. the nut on the shift lever rod...)

Reactions: Bayrec

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just moved it off the shaft, since I can reverse the action in the same amount of time and have it as delivered because I didn't adjust the rod.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts