GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The programmers at Honda/Harmon obviously do not know what contrast is. The color changes on the latest update, as far as I could tell only changes the color of the main roads. The black and white choice actually provides good contrast and visibility. If this was 1970, I would have been delighted with this mode. They have however increased the font size on road names for all of the selections except the yellow, which is probably the original. I also had the system freeze with a screen message that this function was not available while moving. I had hit the Home button on the handle bar when I was operating in AA. No button pushes would clear it, however after a few minutes it cleared itself and all functions again worked normally. I found switching to AA after running the onboard nav while it was routing gave me the AA screen and the voice directions from the onboard nav.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Hit the back button to clear that silly message o_O

·
Registered
285 Posts
I found switching to AA after running the onboard nav while it was routing gave me the AA screen and the voice directions from the onboard nav.
I know I will know this after you tell me...... what is AA??

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
I found switching to AA after running the onboard nav while it was routing gave me the AA screen and the voice directions from the onboard nav.
Were you running a Nav (google maps / Waze) in AA or one of the other apps?

If running a Nav function in AA then it is doing what the AA instructions / update package says will happen.

From the notes:

Maps (Navigation)
Display Google Maps and use the navigation function just as you would with your Androidphone. When the vehicle is in motion, it is not possible to make keyboard entries. Stop the vehicle in a safe location to undertake a search or provide other
inputs.
Only one navigation system (preinstalled navigation or Android Auto) can give directions at
a time. When you are using one system, directions to any prior destination set on the
other system will be canceled, and the system you are currently using will direct you to your
destination.

·
Registered
285 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I just finished my July update and it was not smooth. Went thru 2 USB drives and many NTFS formats. It took about an hour, but before the successful install the bike turned off while updating Navigation (I think that was file 9 of 9). It was at least 95% completely done. I had the bike on a trickle charger and in ACC mode. How long does the bike stay on in ACC mode? The only way I got thru the install was after about 20 minutes on ACC, I would turn the bike completely on for a few seconds and then back to ACC. I has to do the 3 times before the update completed. Go figure. :unsure:

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just finished my July update and it was not smooth. Went thru 2 USB drives and many NTFS formats. It took about an hour, but before the successful install the bike turned off while updating Navigation (I think that was file 9 of 9). It was at least 95% completely done. I had the bike on a trickle charger and in ACC mode. How long does the bike stay on in ACC mode? The only way I got thru the install was after about 20 minutes on ACC, I would turn the bike completely on for a few seconds and then back to ACC. I has to do the 3 times before the update completed. Go figure. :unsure:
Did you walk away from the bike and carry the FOB with you? The bike will shut down in ACC if the key is not detected.

I left the key on my saddle and had no problems with the bike staying on.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Did you walk away from the bike and carry the FOB with you? The bike will shut down in ACC if the key is not detected.

I left the key on my saddle and had no problems with the bike staying on.
I might have been more than 6 feet away from the bike. Social distancing.:(

·
Registered
135 Posts
Did you walk away from the bike and carry the FOB with you? The bike will shut down in ACC if the key is not detected./QUOTE]

That was not the case with my 2018 GWT6. I only used the FOB to be able to turn on ACC mode, after that it was nowhere near the bike. The update completed without any issues in 37 minutes.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Mine took almost an hour. I just finished redoing my iPhone 10 and CycleGear Bilt Techno Modular helmet setup. It was a piece of cake. :)

·
Registered
18,862 Posts
If this was 1970 mobile GPS, Disc brakes, ABS, DCT, Electronic Windshield, & LED Lights would not be available on bikes

·
Vendor
21,760 Posts
The programmers at Honda/Harmon obviously do not know what contrast is. The color changes on the latest update, as far as I could tell only changes the color of the main roads. The black and white choice actually provides good contrast and visibility. If this was 1970, I would have been delighted with this mode. They have however increased the font size on road names for all of the selections except the yellow, which is probably the original. I also had the system freeze with a screen message that this function was not available while moving. I had hit the Home button on the handle bar when I was operating in AA. No button pushes would clear it, however after a few minutes it cleared itself and all functions again worked normally. I found switching to AA after running the onboard nav while it was routing gave me the AA screen and the voice directions from the onboard nav.
I took photos of small roads with the different color settings, and the small roads now show up as solid colors against a lighter background in all settings except yellow. It looks like a big improvement to me over what it used to look like. I did however notice that one time when I changed settings, I had to cycle power on the system for them to actually take effect. This might explain why you didn't see any difference.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Damn !!! Just a thought.................... remember the days when one would juts get on their bike and ride............................. to wherever ?? To this day, when I take my overnight bike trips, sometimes many nights, I just 'go westbound' ( pick your own direction ) and wing it. ( no pun intended ) I just ride away from rain as much as I can.

·
Registered
6,987 Posts
Is there any advantage to download the new firmware for us iphone users?
Maps are updated over the Feb 2020 update..nicer color contrast with the maps and you have the speed limit of the road your on shown...the rear speakers sound louder than before to me...the update makes the system better than it was.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Is there any advantage to download the new firmware for us iphone users?
You''ll have to decide, but the write-up says:

Summary of update For all types
•Android Auto™
•Navi Auto Volume
•Repeat Voice Guidance
•Speed Limit Icon
•Displaying the Arrival Time/ETA
•Select the map color
•Setting Your Home Location

Presumably there is also a map update for the built-in nav. (but I didn't heck dates)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts