GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a new 2018 Goldwing DCT Tour, no airbag yesterday.

My question.....I know, I know...........I'm stupid............when changing the oil AND the clutch filter, does one use the same type of oil ? There isn't separate "clutch oil" is there ?

So, when it comes time, I drain all FOUR places and replace BOTH filters. But, I use the SAME oil to fill everything ?? Throw in some 10W/30 for instance in the fill cap and that covers BOTH areas ??

Have been riding almost 30 years. Have never ( well, almost never ) had an oil change done by someone else. I do them. Having said that, I don't want to screw something up on this expensive ( for me ) bike that might be so simple.

The owner's manual is maybe a bit too detailed for me. Is there ANY reason one wouldn't drain plugs A, B, and C AND remove the clutch oil filter at the same time before closing it all up and adding the fresh oil ??

Please, if you care to respond to this post, DO give me a DETAILED response if it call for one.
Or am I overthinking this ?

I figured let me ask the pros. ( you guys )

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Love The DCT
12,024 Posts
Read the owner's manual. It gives you all the info you need to change out the engine oil/filter and the DCT filter. There is not a separate "clutch oil."

:doorag:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks !! Another 'silly' question.......refilling the oil crankcase also takes care of the clutch ??

One measurement for everything. 4.9 quarts I believe for a 'complete' change. I have referred to the owner's manual.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Warm bike
Remove Oil Fill Cap
Remove A,B,C drain bolts
Remove/Replace Oil Filter
Remove /Replace DCT Filter
Install A,B,C drain bolts
Fill properly with recommended oil, (on left side) satisfies the engine and clutch.

You are over thinking it. Step 1 of DCT states just do 1-6 of the Oil change instructions and then follow the DCT instructions from there out.

Attachments

·
Love The DCT
12,024 Posts
Thanks !! Another 'silly' question.......refilling the oil crankcase also takes care of the clutch ??

One measurement for everything. 4.9 quarts I believe for a 'complete' change. I have referred to the owner's manual.
The DCT clutches are engaged by pressurized engine oil.

:doorag:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Warm bike
Remove Oil Fill Cap
Remove A,B,C drain bolts
Fill properly with recommended oil, (on left side) satisfies the engine and clutch.

Now THAT is an answer !!! Thank you !!! It answered everything in a 'Reader's Digest' concise way. Perfect !!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Warm bike
Remove Oil Fill Cap
Remove A,B,C drain bolts

You are over thinking it. Step 1 of DCT states just do 1-6 of the Oil change instructions and then follow the DCT instructions from there out.

Hey, THANKS !! Your illustrations popped up on my screen AFTER my first reply. Believe me, I'm looking at the manual too. The exact pages you illustrated. Even though I'm no kid, I don't want to mess this up. The most important maintenance on ANY motor.........oil.

Like you said, I guess I am overthinking it. Thank you so much !!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hoopdc,

Changing the oil is the easy part. The stupid part is checking the oil level. My advise is to follow the owners manual to check the oil level. You may need a stop watch? LOL! REPEAT: Follow the owners manual for proper oil level. There are other threads on here about doing that. If you been doing this for 30 years you will have no problems.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
When I did mine last week I just added all but 3oz of 1 of the quarts and dumped the other 4 quarts in. Came out perfectly after checking by the honda procedure.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hoopdc,

Changing the oil is the easy part. The stupid part is checking the oil level. My advise is to follow the owners manual to check the oil level. You may need a stop watch? LOL! REPEAT: Follow the owners manual for proper oil level. There are other threads on here about doing that. If you been doing this for 30 years you will have no problems.

You know, I did see something ( don't remember where ) about just CHECKING the oil level. One couldn't just check the dipstick if say the bike had been sitting overnight. 'Cause the stick will show you need to add a lot of oil. At least a quart. But, if you do EXACTLY what the manual says, you have to warm up the bike, then let it sit 2-3 minutes, then check.

Holy crap !! Who would've thought you would have to warm it up first AND then let it sit just to get a proper reading.

Anyway, thank you for responding. You never what nuggets of knowledge you're going to gain by asking people with actual experience.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I did mine last week I just added all but 3oz of 1 of the quarts and dumped the other 4 quarts in. Came out perfectly after checking by the honda procedure.

You're braver/smarter than me. On ANY vehicle I've ever done, I'll add 3 quarts, check. Maybe another 1/2 quart, check and so on until it's right.

But remember, I'm stooopid.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
Never have check oil ever since 2005. I change the oil with FULL SYNTHETIC Honda oil and filter every 4K. Put the recommended amount in. Why waste my time checking it. I know how much I put in. The bike does not eat oil. It's a Honda.

·
Registered
343 Posts
aloha,

+1 with laen.

I just check how much I drained out. I refill old oil containers for recycling, so I know pretty much the amount drained.

Then I do exactly what laen said.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Never have check oil ever since 2005. I change the oil with FULL SYNTHETIC Honda oil and filter every 4K. Put the recommended amount in. Why waste my time checking it. I know how much I put in. The bike does not eat oil. It's a Honda.
I thought the same thing since on my other 5 Wings the oil has never moved from when I poured it in up to the 8,000 miles recommended oil life. However, I just checked this one after 6,000 miles & it was down 1/3 quart. I was very surprised. There isn't any issue with that amount of usage since it would only be down about 1/2 quart in the 8,000 miles, but it just surprised me after the others used none. I won't normally go 8,000 miles anyway between changes (5,000 miles is my number). However, I wanted to know if there was any difference so I checked this time. :serious: :surprise: :frown2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts