GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my 2018 Tour DCT, the parking brake did not hold the bike.
So I went to the dealer and they adjusted it.
Now I have 6,500 miles on it and the brake isn't holding anymore.
I have made sure that it was never left on while driving.
I was wondering if anyone else has had to adjust theirs every 6,000 miles?
When I did the 4K service the brake held fine so I did not adjust it, or measure the cable as the manual says when you need to adjust it. Maybe I should have checked it then, but I figured it was working, it must be fine.
I searched my Fred's videos and didn't see one on this topic.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I looked it up in the owners manual and it says to go see the dealer.....Ya.....right!
I got out my service manual and went to adjust the cable as it says. I figured 1 5/8" should be about right. (converting it from mm)
Mine was close to 2".
I turned the cable over 1/4" and still the measurement is about 1.75".
I think, when the dealer adjusted the brake, they used the adjustment at the parking brake caliper first instead of adjusting the cable, which is not the way you do it.
That is the only explanation I can think of, of why it is so far off.
You are supposed to adjust the cable first, and then use the adjustment at the brake caliper second.
I stopped and left it as it was, and the parking brake now holds. It is still out of adjustment according to the specifications, but one day, or the next time I need to adjust it, I am going to make sure it is correct.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I adjusted my parking break per Fred's video. By the time I got to the point where I was measuring 45mm with the micrometer, I felt like I was almost out of room at the barrel connector and it was going to unscrew all the way. So my question is, is there another adjustment point at the break lever itself, or at this point that there is no more adjustment on the barrel connect you just have to run a whole new cable? I am picturing a bicycle derailer and brake setup where one end of the cable is raw and you just pull the slack out and tighten the nut!! I only have 3900 miles on the bike. If there is a way to tighten the cable at the break lever itself I suppose it hidden behind a bunch of plastic parts? I do not have a service manual to look this up. All thoughts welcomed!!

Mark

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
I adjusted my parking break per Fred's video. By the time I got to the point where I was measuring 45mm with the micrometer, I felt like I was almost out of room at the barrel connector and it was going to unscrew all the way. So my question is, is there another adjustment point at the break lever itself, or at this point that there is no more adjustment on the barrel connect you just have to run a whole new cable? I am picturing a bicycle detailer and brake setup where one end of the cable is raw and you just pull the slack out and tighten the nut!! I only have 3900 miles on the bike. If there is a way to tighten the cable at the break lever itself I suppose it hidden behind a bunch of plastic parts? I do not have a service manual to look this up. All thoughts welcomed!!

Mark

Mine was like that too. Honda is using low quality cables on this bike. Shame.:frown2:

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I adjusted my parking break per Fred's video. By the time I got to the point where I was measuring 45mm with the micrometer, I felt like I was almost out of room at the barrel connector and it was going to unscrew all the way. So my question is, is there another adjustment point at the break lever itself, or at this point that there is no more adjustment on the barrel connect you just have to run a whole new cable? I am picturing a bicycle derailer and brake setup where one end of the cable is raw and you just pull the slack out and tighten the nut!! I only have 3900 miles on the bike. If there is a way to tighten the cable at the break lever itself I suppose it hidden behind a bunch of plastic parts? I do not have a service manual to look this up. All thoughts welcomed!!

Mark
Fred would know he's had the bike apart a lot!

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts

Mark

Make sure you're measuring at the right place.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Make sure you're measuring at the right place.

When I adjusted mine, just after your video came out, my measurement was almost 2 inches(50mm) Right from the factory, used my park brake maybe 2 times prior to that.
Terrible dealer prep.:smile2:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was just able to get at the upper spec at 44mm. I didn't want to go any further because it seemed like I was running out of threads on the barrel connector. And that is for sure with one click on the break lever. See photos.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts