GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We get our 2018 Wing in June; on order.
Testing finds my passenger "hates" the grab rails; too low. She LOVES the ride; better suspension.

Ideas on how to manufacture or modify these grab bars so they extend in the fashion of the rails on our present Wing?
Has anyone attempted to "bend" a 2017 handrail to fit the 2018 which is slightly shorter front-to-back?
Has anyone spotted a set that may be compatible?
Any after-market vendors working on making the grab rails more accessible and usable for the passenger?
I am guessing I will find a machine shop to engineer these. Likely, we will lose the helmet-lock.
Thanks!
Orwhthse

·
Registered
777 Posts
I like others believe there will be after market grab rails out soon. Maybe by the time your bike arrives. There are many people waiting for them along with the highway pegs. :serious: :smile2: :wink2:

·
Registered
704 Posts
We get our 2018 Wing in June; on order.
Testing finds my passenger "hates" the grab rails; too low. She LOVES the ride; better suspension.

Ideas on how to manufacture or modify these grab bars so they extend in the fashion of the rails on our present Wing?
Has anyone attempted to "bend" a 2017 handrail to fit the 2018 which is slightly shorter front-to-back?
Has anyone spotted a set that may be compatible?
Any after-market vendors working on making the grab rails more accessible and usable for the passenger?
I am guessing I will find a machine shop to engineer these. Likely, we will lose the helmet-lock.
Thanks!
Orwhthse

Wouldnt higher grab rails be digging into the back of the passengers legs???

·
Registered
368 Posts
My wife & I took a DCT Tour demo out for an hour last Thursday, rolling & curvy vineyard roads and then low traffic country mountain Hwys. My wife did miss our 2010 passenger hand grips, she said so after the ride. Harder braking caused her side forward, but we were both getting used to the new bike. Also on twisties she would like to have them, so I think that would be an aftermarket option she would want.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Our 2016 Wing has perfect grab rails. These rise up and out from the seat allowing the passenger to easily grab them without hunching over or forward. The 2018 versions appear to focus on "looks" or an attempt to "hide" them beside the seat instead of making them usable or functional. My wife cannot reach them well.
Orwhthse

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
The one disappointment I have with those grab rails is my hand being backwards in an uncomfortable and less strength direction for putting it up on the center stand. Right hand palm facing you wrapped around the handle gives you a much better grip than palm away from you. So, "normal" aftermarket grab rails would be on the must get list.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I don't understand the fuss.

I've always found that after the first bit of riding, my passengers have been more interested in running a camera than in holding onto handles, or just leaning back with elbows on the rests.
The older generation grab rails make good attaching points for bungie cords

·
Registered
577 Posts
Your guys wives must not like you as much as my wife likes me. She never uses the grab rails, she just hangs on to me.
:)

·
Registered
130 Posts
You are right, the only issues I have with my new Wing, no place to attach bungie cords to carry something on the seat, and no good way to strap it down on my trailer.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
There was a pic on here of a bungy cord wrapped under one of the handles from front to back, with both ends free. the ends of the handle are far enough from the bolt-on locations that the cord does not slip off.

We often looped a cord thru the handle of an 1832 with both ends free. I think that on 1832 the cord would slip off if wrapped using the 1833 method.

I have verified that a cord can be looped under using the front-to-back method, but have not 'road tested' this method. It does seem like the cord will stay in place so I expect it will be an effective solution.

·
Registered
130 Posts
There was a pic on here of a bungy cord wrapped under one of the handles from front to back, with both ends free. the ends of the handle are far enough from the bolt-on locations that the cord does not slip off.

We often looped a cord thru the handle of an 1832 with both ends free. I think that on 1832 the cord would slip off if wrapped using the 1833 method.

I have verified that a cord can be looped under using the front-to-back method, but have not 'road tested' this method. It does seem like the cord will stay in place so I expect it will be an effective solution.
Good idea, thanks.

·
Registered
994 Posts

I think this is what you are referring to; work fine for me securing my case of beer.:laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
:thumbup: As we age, we develop those “love handles” for our S.O’s to grab and hang on when riding.

:doorag:
Been there, done that, got em. :wink2:

·
Vendor
2,297 Posts
It appears no one is making passenger rails yet, so I'm going to make some. My designs are with my CAD guy now. Hopefully in a couple of weeks we'll have some prototypes 3-D printed, and then we'll try and get some machined as fast as possible... potentially in time for Wing Ding. I'll update you when I have something for everyone to look at.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My 2010 handrails were great for straps or cords. With the 2018 I used the bungee cords, one side makes a loop, the other side hooks on to the loop.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,690 Posts
Not so quick grasshopper. It seems mother Honda has a cable running through the left one that will screw up other features

1 - 20 of 67 Posts