GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
If there were no other reason, I would want the old style handles for putting the bike up on the center stand. The OEM handle is backwards for that purpose. It is sort of like putting the blade on a band saw backwards. It will still cut, but not as well because the teeth are set the other way. Getting bungee hooks on the OEM handle just do not seem like it would be that big of an issue; I have hooked a bungee to lesser of a hook point.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I GOT 'EM INSTALLED AND THEY WORK GREAT: SEADOG LINE BLACK NYLONG STEP HANDLE #227260-1 Pictures below.
I bought these at Fisherman's Marine Supply across from our Honda shop in Beaverton, Oregon. 2" allen-head bolts( 1/4 x 20) with self-locking SS-nuts connect these ship-handles to the stock handles. I drilled through the handle material and found the plastic is very strong. My wife LOVES THEM! She can reach them nicely. I abandoned the helmet-lock mechanism; I glued the slider to the handle and removed the metal rod so I could drill & bolt through the lock-piece.
These handles will work just great until a vendor comes up with an OEM-replacement. Meanwhile, we use our old "gun-lock" to attach the helmets to this new passenger rail when we go inside to eat; much easier than the factory mechanism.
Doug at Orwhthse

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
These are easy to attach the bungees too . If you loop the bungee under the grab rails with the hooks upwards, the grab rails are made to hold the elastic cords. Then hook the hooks from one side to the other.

https://thewikihow.com/video_NQHTWpt23us check out the 4:30 mark for tiedown use.

·
Vendor
2,297 Posts
Thanks for the plug! I have several videos on Youtube showing the rails, how they function, how easy they are to install, and even a video of me lifting the bike from the ground with the handle.

It also makes it VERY easy to put the bike on the centerstand.

·
Registered
16,629 Posts
Thanks for the plug! I have several videos on Youtube showing the rails, how they function, how easy they are to install, and even a video of me lifting the bike from the ground with the handle.

It also makes it VERY easy to put the bike on the centerstand.
That reminds me, last time I called you to order they were not available, I need to call again,, will do!

prs

·
Registered
16,629 Posts
Max liked it. Ka-Ching! I ordered this morning. ;-)

prs

·
Registered
27 Posts
The grab rails are very nice, well built but just a little too much $. Don't need to hold 800+ lbs for 30 seconds. Just need something that works but is not over kill.

·
Registered
571 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
21 - 40 of 67 Posts