GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
**Originally I accidentally posted this on the 2012 subforum**

Hey all,
I'm back. I had a 2013 L3 and sold it a couple years ago. Mostly due to getting the crap beat out of me on the highway from the wind.

Is the new 'Wing any better about that? Yeah I know everyone is different, but I cannot be the only one who felt that way?

Also, one stat that I NEVER see anywhere is how much room is there between the passenger backrest and the back of the rider? I *think* I just sold my 700+hp mustang (will know for sure this week) and if it's gone will be in the market again.

Thanks!
J

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
For me I just raise the windshield when I don't want excessive wind in my face. Otherwise for me riding a motorcycle is like jumping into a swimming pool; you are going to get wet. When I don't want to feel the wind when I ride, I drive my car. Some people get taller and wider windshields, hand wings and leg wings to mount on the fairing.

·
Registered
206 Posts
New Wing is Sportier and you don't sit down into it like the old Wing, only a test drive will let you know if it really fits your requirements. I would say if you want a bike with lots of room and exceptional wind protection, the old Gen5 wing is better in that regard. The new wing though in my option is hands down a better all around bike, less weight, much much better handling even with the soft stock suspension, and the new engine and and engine modes are really really good.

-Jim

Reactions: Gary C

·
Registered
79 Posts
I never rode a previous generation bike, so I'll merely suggest that the adjustable windshield should provide you with the ability to control the flow better than the old bike. I've had several BMWs with shields and the new Wing is comparable to them.

Take a test ride and see for yourself!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I find that at 80mph and the shield just below my eyes, provides almost no wind on the body. Occasionally cross winds may be felt, but thats normal.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For me I just raise the windshield when I don't want excessive wind in my face. Otherwise for me riding a motorcycle is like jumping into a swimming pool; you are going to get wet. When I don't want to feel the ride I drive my car. Some people get taller and wider windshields, hand wings and leg wings to mount on the fairing.
I am talking more about your head getting beat around by rapid negative/positive pressure changes behind the windscreen. The wind will always beat you around some on a bike, I have 3 still. My 2013 wing shook my head around so much I got headaches. I have ridden my VTX from Ohio to Texas, and my ZX14r from Ohio to NC without the issue the Wing gave me.

Trust me, I don't want a 'car' experience, but don't want to have a bike I hate to ride; and I loved riding the 2013 under 50mph, but that will get you killed on a highway. And I would rather be on back roads, but sometimes you cannot.

I am hoping the 2018 is better. I REALLY WANT to buy another one. I am seeking a test ride to try and see for myself, but a 10 min ride will only let me experience so much. I am hoping to get data from the experience all you have. :-D

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
I am talking more about your head getting beat around by rapid negative/positive pressure changes behind the windscreen.
Probably the best Wing for wind protection, or less buffeting, is a 4th gen (GL1500). I had one of those and could not believe how well protected the rider was from the wind.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am talking more about your head getting beat around by rapid negative/positive pressure changes behind the windscreen. The wind will always beat you around some on a bike, I have 3 still. My 2013 wing shook my head around so much I got headaches. I have ridden my VTX from Ohio to Texas, and my ZX14r from Ohio to NC without the issue the Wing gave me.

Trust me, I don't want a 'car' experience, but don't want to have a bike I hate to ride; and I loved riding the 2013 under 50mph, but that will get you killed on a highway. And I would rather be on back roads, but sometimes you cannot.

I am hoping the 2018 is better. I REALLY WANT to buy another one. I am seeking a test ride to try and see for myself, but a 10 min ride will only let me experience so much. I am hoping to get data from the experience all you have. :-D
I'm 6'3 and previously owned a 2001 Wing then a 2014, The stock adjustable shield on the 2018 was much better than either of the older wings. There is a considerable amount of wind on your shoulders and arms with the stock 2018 shield. Eventually I replaced the shield with a F4 stock height, which is 2 inches wider on each side, and added mirror wings. It's now perfect for me. I usually run the F4 below eye level and there's no buffeting, but if I raise it up all the way, it's totally calm. I think the F4 + 4 inches would be much too tall.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys!
I am more excited to test one out now!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just know a 10 minute ride is limited. There is so much to take in, that it's hard to concentrate on the wind stuff. The 16" stock shield on the non-tour model is almost useless. This bike will give you a little more wind on your arms, but I haven't experienced buffeting with the tour 20" shield, or the 16". I like to wear a half helmet and smell everything. The 20" works great for me without the upper wind deflectors. As said in another ones post, you don't sit "into" the bike as much, but that really works for me on the highway. It seems so well balanced, but different than the older wings. Not in a bad way, but in a more sporty way. It's initially a bit taller in seat height, but not even noticed on the road, or while moving at all. Try and ride it for at LEAST 20 minutes, as it gets WAY better when you're used to it...seriously better!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Luckily for me I got to test ride both the Manual and DCT models, I got to take them out un-supervised and was asked to only be gone a 1/2 hr, (wink wink because the salesman had to say that) well an hour seemed reasonable so that's what it ended up being on each bike as I had to go pickup the wife and do some freeway riding, riding in town, and and riding up the local mountain pass. I did not get the lowest discount, but I got very flexible terms on the test ride and could have gone back a couple more times for test riding if I wanted. I am 5'8" tall and immediately replaced the tour 20" windshield with a F4 16" shield as I like a low shield with plenty of sight line clearance. I shortly added the Honda mirror wings, in the summer though though they are pulled back. The 2018 bike is nosier than my 2003 which had baker wings and a wind bender shield, but it does not bounce my head around. -Jim

·
Registered
471 Posts
....... getting the crap beat out of me on the highway from the wind.....
Any windshield discussion really should include the brand of shield and height of the rider to help others make informed choices.
So, I will offer my experience....

The Standard Wing comes with a 16" shield that must be raised a bit every ride to be useful.
It looks pretty cool, is great in warm weather, but doesn't seem to be very practical year round.

My Tour Wing came with a 20" shield that did a decent job for my 5' 10" height, but I found I was raising it every ride about 2 inches.
And I was getting quite a bit of wind on my shoulders.

I bought a Slipstreamer S-268C+2 that was 2 inches taller. The height was perfect, but I still got a lot of shoulder breeze.

Then I settled on a Slipstreamer T-268C+2 that is 2 inches taller (22") AND 2 inches wider per side.
This has worked out very well for me and my passenger.
I leave the shield down all the time, and can easily see over the top to a point on the pavement about 20 feet in front of the bike. Very happy with the price also.

However, the F4 20 inch tall shield with the recurve at the top seems to be the most popular and have the most satisfied customers here on the Wing forum. But they are very pricey.

But this new Wing simply does not provide the "still air envelope" that the older Wing had.
Jefro.

The first photo is the stock Tour shield.
The second is the Sport Slipstreamer S-268C+2 over the stock shield.
The last photo is the wider Slipstreamer T-268C+2.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Any windshield discussion really should include the brand of shield and height of the rider to help others make informed choices.
So, I will offer my experience....

The Standard Wing comes with a 16" shield that must be raised a bit every ride to be useful.
It looks pretty cool, is great in warm weather, but doesn't seem to be very practical year round.

My Tour Wing came with a 20" shield that did a decent job for my 5' 10" height, but I found I was raising it every ride about 2 inches.
And I was getting quite a bit of wind on my shoulders.

I bought a Slipstreamer S-268C+2 that was 2 inches taller. The height was perfect, but I still got a lot of shoulder breeze.

Then I settled on a Slipstreamer T-268C+2 that is 2 inches taller (22") AND 2 inches wider per side.
This has worked out very well for me and my passenger.
I leave the shield down all the time, and can easily see over the top to a point on the pavement about 20 feet in front of the bike. Very happy with the price also.

However, the F4 20 inch tall shield with the recurve at the top seems to be the most popular and have the most satisfied customers here on the Wing forum. But they are very pricey.

But this new Wing simply does not provide the "still air envelope" that the older Wing had.
Jefro.
What shield is in each of the photos you posted? Thank you.

I am 5’7 with a normal torso and just ordered the standard T-268C based on Doug’s suggestion and detailed critique for passenger comfort.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just know a 10 minute ride is limited. There is so much to take in, that it's hard to concentrate on the wind stuff. The 16" stock shield on the non-tour model is almost useless. This bike will give you a little more wind on your arms, but I haven't experienced buffeting with the tour 20" shield, or the 16". I like to wear a half helmet and smell everything. The 20" works great for me without the upper wind deflectors. As said in another ones post, you don't sit "into" the bike as much, but that really works for me on the highway. It seems so well balanced, but different than the older wings. Not in a bad way, but in a more sporty way. It's initially a bit taller in seat height, but not even noticed on the road, or while moving at all. Try and ride it for at LEAST 20 minutes, as it gets WAY better when you're used to it...seriously better!

After I test rode both the DCT and the 6 speed, I knew which one I favored but really wanted to be sure before committing myself to another 20 some thousand dollar motorcycle, so I rented one for a day. This was in late March and I can honestly say the wind protection wasn't as good as on my BMW K1600 GTL. It was pretty darn cold that day, however, that new and improved Goldwing really warmed my heart.

·
Registered
471 Posts
What shield is in each of the photos you posted? Thank you.

I am 5’7 with a normal torso and just ordered the standard T-268C based on Doug’s suggestion and detailed critique for passenger comfort.
I added the details of each photo to my post above.
I think you will like the T-268C which is 20 inch tall (stock), and 2 inches wider on each side.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Guys!
This thread is getting very informative and hope it helps other too!

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
The electrically adjustable windshield automatically goes to minimum height when the bike is shut off -- and when you start to drive the next time, it returns to the height you had set.

Since it is so easy to adjust, I find I adjust the height depending on how fast I am running.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts