GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 'll put both on my questions on one thread so as to save space on the internet--which is starting to get cluttered if you ask me.

1. How are those fairing Winglets for the 2018+ working out? And, can you remove them in a fly, or do you have take the side fairing off?

2. Is anyone using Ride-On on a 2018+ model? How is that effecting the TPMS?

3. Can I trust the stock windshield for three months on the road touring?

I read somewhere that Goldwings had the only TPM gadgetry that was not insulated such that it was not effected by Ride-On. I have Ride-On on an RT and the TPM works fine because it is bathed on some substance to prevent moisture from getting inside the 'tire-readers'

Reactions: gkarasik

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
1. Don't know

2. Not using it.

3. Why wouldn't you be able to trust a windshield? Do I like it; yes, after 3 other wings, this is the best shield I've had or the positioning keeps me from buffeting. I will get a slightly wider screen for the winter months for my wife and remove it when it gets hot again.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I 'll put both on my questions on one thread so as to save space on the internet--which is starting to get cluttered if you ask me.

1. How are those fairing Winglets for the 2018+ working out? And, can you remove them in a fly, or do you have take the side fairing off?

2. Is anyone using Ride-On on a 2018+ model? How is that effecting the TPMS?

I certainly agree with you on the point of starting to get cluttered. This is an excellent example of clutter. Sorry, it makes no sense to me. :serious: :frown2:

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have used RIDEON on both of my new GW (2018 manual tour. and 2019 DCT tour ) I did read the warning that RIDEON might effect the TPMS.. So I removed the wheels , and took them to a regular tire shop to break one side of the tire bead off the rim. I squirted RIDEON between the rim and tire, then inflated the tire, seating the bead . 18000 miles and no problem with the TPMS. When I replaced the rear tire the RIDEON was only coating the perimeter of the tire . NO PROBLEM and very happy with the balancing and the sealing that RIDEON offers.

I changed the screen to an F4 on the 2018 and a short KLOCKWERKS screen on the 2019 and prefer the KLOCKWERKS screen

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have used RIDEON on both of my new GW (2018 manual tour. and 2019 DCT tour ) I did read the warning that RIDEON might effect the TPMS.. So I removed the wheels , and took them to a regular tire shop to break one side of the tire bead off the rim. I squirted RIDEON between the rim and tire, then inflated the tire, seating the bead . 18000 miles and no problem with the TPMS. When I replaced the rear tire the RIDEON was only coating the perimeter of the tire . NO PROBLEM and very happy with the balancing and the sealing that RIDEON offers.

I changed the screen to an F4 on the 2018 and a short KLOCKWERKS screen on the 2019 and prefer the KLOCKWERKS screen
I thought the caveat on the Ride-On on Wings was that the Wing TPMS is not coated with some sealant material and thus the Ride-on **** would get into it. But if its not effecting the 2018+ that's great. I don't think pouring the Ride on on the side of the tire would make any difference....would it?

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I certainly agree with you on the point of starting to get cluttered. This is an excellent example of clutter. Sorry, it makes no sense to me. :serious: :frown2:
Well thanks be to God this is a free country and you don't have to answer any post you deem unworthy, ah?

Reactions: gkarasik

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1. Don't know

2. Not using it.

3. Why wouldn't you be able to trust a windshield? Do I like it; yes, after 3 other wings, this is the best shield I've had or the positioning keeps me from buffeting. I will get a slightly wider screen for the winter months for my wife and remove it when it gets hot again.
That's great to hear hojo, cause I thought the pre-2018 prompted a lot of buffeting. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I thought the caveat on the Ride-On on Wings was that the Wing TPMS is not coated with some sealant material and thus the Ride-on **** would get into it. But if its not effecting the 2018+ that's great. I don't think pouring the Ride on on the side of the tire would make any difference....would it?
From the Ride-On site:

Hermetically sealed
If your sensors are not sealed, then we do not recommend the use of Ride-On with them. Although the use of Ride-On with these types of sensors does not always create issues, we as a manufacturer do not recommend using our product in applications with TPMS Systems without potted electronics. Even moisture contained in the compressed air can enter the electronics and over time create issues not related to any tire sealant. We recommend that you check with your dealer or manufacturer to determine whether your TPMS sensor has potted electronics and batteries.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the question still remains unanswered:

Is the TPM on the '18+ wings "potted" (insulated from moisture or any other liquid)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
the question still remains unanswered:

Is the TPM on the '18+ wings "potted" (insulated from moisture or any other liquid)
Page 189 of the owners manual:

Using a puncture-repairing agent can damage the
TPMS sensors, causing the TPMS indicator to turn on.
Have your motorcycle checked by your dealer as soon
as possible.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
What does this mean? Trust it to stay in place? Trust it to respond to the handlebar switch? Trust it to not run off with your sweetheart?

Reactions: gkarasik and Drgsin

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Love the stock Tour windshield. I have the upper deflectors (under mirrors) and think they work great for hot and cold weather.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts