GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asked this a while ago. No one seemed to know.

So .... I'm asking it again: Will the rear tire from the 2018 Wing fit a 2015? Yes, I realize the wheel size width is a bit different.

I'm running a CT 195 / 55 / 16 on the 2015 now. Just want to get all things together, and I like the girth of the new sneaker on my 2018.

Anyone have an opinion / experience?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
I understand the new wing is using a 200 rear tire, there are some who are using a 205 size tire on the rear of the 2017 and down wings with no reported problems so I don't see why it won't work. Only thing to do is try it and see. YMMV

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
195R55/16 vs 200R55/16.
Very little difference between the two tires.:smile2:
2018 wheel will not fit the 2015.
I know the wheels are different. I just want to mount the 2018 tire on a 2015 wheel. Don't see much of an issue. ?? Right?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand the new wing is using a 200 rear tire, there are some who are using a 205 size tire on the rear of the 2017 and down wings with no reported problems so I don't see why it won't work. Only thing to do is try it and see. YMMV
Are these larger tires MTs, or CTs?

·
Registered
5,764 Posts

·
Registered
19,228 Posts
I cant understand why ANYONE would put a car tire on a 2018 wing. I tried it for 15K miles on my 2010 and although tire life DOUBLED and it was a runflat----cornering require more lean input and uneven roads are a definite PUCKER FACTOR

CT riders ask yourself one question if a CT is better why dont road racers use them?

·
Administrator
4,580 Posts
The way I'm reading this: he's asking if a 2018 MOTORCYCLE tire will match up to a pre 2018 motorcycle. ie. 200R55/16 vs 180/60/16. Correct?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I cant understand why ANYONE would put a car tire on a 2018 wing. I tried it for 15K miles on my 2010 and although tire life DOUBLED and it was a runflat----cornering require more lean input and uneven roads are a definite PUCKER FACTOR

CT riders ask yourself one question if a CT is better why dont road racers use them?

Road racers spend most of the time on the edge of the tire at crazy lean angles. They need the round profile of the tire. They are constantly throwing the bike side to side and the round profile lets them do this quickly with less work to get the bike to lean.

Touring riders spend most of their time on the center of the tire burning up miles with gentle rolls in turns. Well most of us anyway! Thus, a larger contact patch with a CT then a MC tire. Yes, it takes miles to get used to the little extra lean input needed for a CT. I got used to it and will stick with a CT. If you could not get used to it, that is fine. Stick with a MC tire as that makes you more comfortable and confident in your riding skills. I will stick with my CT as I like the extra traction I get in both wet and dry conditions, especially when towing my Roll A Home trailer. I also like the more than double tire life at less cost than a single MC tire.

Car tires are not for everyone. If you did not like it, that is fine, You tried it. Stick with a MC tire and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The way I'm reading this: he's asking if a 2018 MOTORCYCLE tire will match up to a pre 2018 motorcycle. ie. 200R55/16 vs 180/60/16. Correct?
Yes ... that's what I'm asking.

Reactions: Bullet Bob

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not so concerned about the width of the 200 tire fitting under the F6B, but wonder how it will hook up to the 2015 rim?

The '18 rim is ... what? ... one inch wider? Don't really know.

So, narrower rim with a wider tire ... pooches it out somewhat? I guess. Probably give a smoother ride ... ??

Anyone want to give an opinion?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts