GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else disappointed with the seat on the New Wing? I like the look but hate the sit. Honda definitely missed the mark for comfort on this touring seat. Went to Alaska and back to Michigan (12,000+miles) and had to stop and buy foam for comfort about halfway thru the trip.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sadly there is all kind of post about this problem. I went to a Corbin but there are a lot of options and opinions. Until you decide I would recommend buying a air hawk seat cushion.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I have owned 4 goldwings....for me, this is the best seat ever.....there is no perfect seat....we all want/need something different.....on my last trip I took an air hawk cushion, never used it

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
It looks like Honda tried to copy BMWs seat design. That is a very bad idea as BMWs seats are very uncomfortable for me. I have had 5 BMWs and all had bad seats. I have had the seat on my GL1833 modified and it is much better but not as good as The RDL on my R1200RTP.

·
Love The DCT
12,024 Posts
Is anyone else disappointed with the seat on the New Wing? I like the look but hate the sit. Honda definitely missed the mark for comfort on this touring seat. Went to Alaska and back to Michigan (12,000+miles) and had to stop and buy foam for comfort about halfway thru the trip.
Like thekid said, everyone's wants/needs when it comes to a bike seat is different. So far I have no seat complaints in 15K miles.

:doorag:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Lots posts on this topic. I too completely dislike the OEM seat. I sent mine to Wing Soft and John does a nice job improving the OEM seat but I still don't like it so I bought the Corbin and am hopeful it solves my issue. I am going to sell my re worked OEM seat and Utopia backrest as they seem to work well for lots of folks. Everyone's azz is different and one size does not fit all. Some folks love seat cushions and or seat beads as a much cheaper option too, some happy as a Lark with the OEM as is. Good luck, you have choices.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I posted a gel pad install on my driver’s seat and it made a huge comfort improvement for me. Search for “Gel pad install on driver’s seat”

·
Registered
554 Posts
The seat is fine.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Like thekid said, everyone's wants/needs when it comes to a bike seat is different. So far I have no seat complaints in 15K miles.

:doorag:
Seat works fine for me too. No complaints here either. I did just add a quick detach Utopia backrest to the stock seat for a little back support.....but I had that on all my other wings too.

Reactions: K hale

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I've mentioned this before and will suggest it again..................GO to Walmart (or any store that sells seat cushions) and purchase one that fits the Honda Stock seat... Place on top and ride away with a "happy butt"........I can ride hours with this seat cushion under me..........and I have a "happy crack" ......when I return! :wink2:

Ronnie

·
Registered
605 Posts
I hated my 2018 seat. I went the RDL route with their backrest and love it. Wait until it starts to get cool then get your build date. That way you only wait a few weeks when it's too cold to ride anyway.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
Seat was designed for 140 LB Japanese males. If you don't fit this weight profile there are plenty of choices
Ultimate
Wing Soft
Corbin
RDL
Lamm
Sargent

·
Registered
16,985 Posts
The seat on my previous 2002 was uncomfortable. I purchased a nice comfy expensive aftermarket seat; EXCELLENT! Then the stock seat on my 2018 was an ars killer. I had the stock seat modified and it is "OK" (a vast improvement). I am probably going to get an aftermarket seat again, but callouses on my back side are getting pretty thick.

prs

·
Registered
930 Posts
I've owned a GL1200, GL1500, GL1800, and all the stock seats were fine for long distance riding for me. Now the new Goldwing by far has the worst seat of any Goldwing. The seat and the GPS go on the same list.

I took mine down to an upholstery shop that does motorcycle seats and for $85.00, got it fixed right.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I get "monkey butt" after about 200 continuous miles riding. I tried an Air Hawk and a gel pad, but they didn't help. I'm now sitting on wooden beads and they help by offering changing pressure points and airflow. I would love to try out a Corbin or the RDL for a long ride to see if there's any difference in the onset of "monkey butt". I do wear compression shorts and riding pants in the effort to attain comfort for long rides. Short rides under 200 miles are not an issue for me. When I road a Harley, the "monkey butt" onset would happen much sooner, like after about 100 miles. So, I don't really blame the seat so much as I do my posterior.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Seats are subjective and it’s impossible for a manufacturer to make a seat that works for everyone. The stock seat works fine for me. In fact, it’s the first stock motorcycle seat I haven’t replaced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Like the post above, my posterior is to blame as I am north of 6'1" & 300. Last year, I sent my seat to John at WingSoft. He did a great job. As long as I am just day riding it is good for me. When I take long rides, 400 to 600+ miles in a day, then I throw on the Air Hawk. I had it from the VTX that I rode before the wing. Just my solution without putting out major bucks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've taken long trips, each 20+ days, on my 2018 stock seat without a hint of a sore rear end, yet my girlfriend uses a Airhawk on the back and others on this string ache with the stock GW seat. I love the seat, it's much better than the K1600 I had, which had a very similar seat to the GW. The K1600 was very uncomfortable for me as many on this string describe their GW stock seat. For me, after getting smart and selling the K1600 for the GW, I discovered it was the leg position on the K1600 that was the issue, not the seat. I'm not an expert and not trying to influence any opinions, just sharing my personal experience. It's possible the discomfort with the seat, as was the case with me, is leg position.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Seat was designed for 140 LB Japanese males. If you don't fit this weight profile there are plenty of choices
Ultimate
Wing Soft
Corbin
RDL
Lamm
Sargent
Nah, their engineers are smarter than that and know about the typical obese Goldwing rider.

I think the seat is great.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts