GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello..I have a 2018 Tour model and IMO the heated grips are to be polite...crap...can these be replaced with aftermarket heated grips that will still work with the existing honda "tank" switch? thxs for any help

·
Registered
17,103 Posts
Something may be wrong with your grips. Compare to other's bikes of same/similar model to get a comparison. Even through gloves and grip puppies, use of my heated grips is typically toasty even at the lower settings. I do not ride often below 40F; but even at that I typically have the seat and grips at 2 or 3. Colder than that, it is not the grip or seat heating that lets me down, its just too cool on the rest of my body to be any enjoyment. I have no idea of aftermarket grips, but if they draw more amps, it could be a problem with the wiring/canbus system.

prs

·
Registered
911 Posts
Sadly, my '19 DCT Tour Wing's heated grips are merely 'good.'

I live in Alberta. Cold weather riding is a fact of life here.

I went on a first ride for the year yesterday, temp at noon departure was a brisk 8 Celsius (46 F). We did 390 km with the grips on max and eventually, the heated saddle too.

The Wing's heated grips are perhaps 80-percent as hot as those on my previous BMW RTs. The Wing's heated saddle is very good. No complaints there.

Apologies for straying from the OP's original query. I expect aftermarket heated grips could be spliced into the existing wiring by a reasonably competent person.

Tim

·
Registered
989 Posts
Mine are great but one did go out and had to replace on my 2018 DCT tour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
401 Posts
I was under the impression there are ambient temperature sensors that manage the power output to the heated accessories on this bike? I've noticed the cooler the day the warmer the grips and seat.
They've never been an issue for me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hello..I have a 2018 Tour model and IMO the heated grips are to be polite...crap...can these be replaced with aftermarket heated grips that will still work with the existing honda "tank" switch? thxs for any help
I had all kinds of issues with my heated grips and seat on my "new" left over 2018 and after 6 month after troubleshooting some heated gear found out my battery was actually the problem...3 years old never left on a tender at the dealer...replaced with a lithium Iron Phosphate for $135 and my troubles are gone...those grips will get to hot to hold now.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Another note, the bike always started fine but my heated gear controller would flash green and red which meant the batter voltage dropped below 10.5 volts and I never knew it and it l\never threw a light or code....so the old "new" 2018 may be starting to show this undocumented issue...even the dealer missed it not hat I had faith in them anyways..

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,030 Posts
I'm trying to see how a battery that will start the bike can cause the heated grips to not heat as they should...isn't the bike, once started, running off of the alternator for its electrical power and not the battery ?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm trying to see how a battery that will start the bike can cause the heated grips to not heat as they should...isn't the bike, once started, running off of the alternator for its electrical power and not the battery ?
I think the issue was with all the heated gear, heated grips on, heated seat on, it was dragging my voltage down to 10.5 volts and the bike would shut off the grips/seat heaters to reduce the electrical load. My heated gear was connected directly to the battery so the bike could not reduce the draw of the heated gear. My controller light flashed red/green cause the internal monitor saw the voltage drop to low and it would go into shut down mode and you had to power it off/on for it to work again. If I went 80MPH everything would stay working. I thought it was the voltage regulator or the alternator but Jon at California-Heat told me he's seen this before and after he swapped out the controller the battery was his next best guess. I'm not sure why but i absolutely fixed the problem and I no longer have during at idle with everything plugged in and it all works as intended.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think the simplest way to know is to just have the battery load tested for free at any auto parts store and then you'll know for sure....wish I would have done that as it would have saved me lots of time and effort!

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,030 Posts
My heated grips have never gotten hot enough...they get warm, but in 40 degree weather they just dont get hot enough IMO...they are more suited for riding in the 55 to 60 degree weather with thin gloves... but with 5 settings to choose from I always have them set at the highest setting...samething with the seat...its better than nothing, but not much really in cold weather. I rely on my heated gear which is superior for colder weather than heated grips or seat anyways

·
Registered
17,103 Posts
I wonder why the diverse satisfaction. Real differences? Different strokes for different folks?

prs

Reactions: raw2210 and Hoopdc

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,030 Posts
My 2003 Honda accessory heated grips were similar with its performance to my 2018 heated grips..but my sons ST 1300's Honda accessory heated grips will burn your hands on full power..you only need half power with those heated grips most of the time..I wish my 2018 was like that.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I wonder why the diverse satisfaction. Real differences? Different strokes for different folks?

prs
Two equally valid explanations come to mind:

1. Riders (like me who live and ride in extremely cold, often below freezing temperatures, regularly) don't find the grips burning hot. Those who do find the grips hot may simply be riding in warmer 'cold' weather. Aren't the guys who say the grips are burning hot all from Florida? :)

2. People all have different sensitivity to what feels cold or hot. (My wife says she's 'freezing' whenever the temperature drops below 25 C/75 F.). I feel cold when riding and the temperature drops to 8 C (or the low 40s F; at that temp my buddy says it's time to zip up the vents on his jacket.)

Tim

·
Registered
93 Posts
my Honda GW grips do not get anywhere near as hot as my BMW RT grips. I use grip puppies on both bikes and wear the same gauntlet style gloves. So yeah, I agree with several previous posters here, the GW heated grips are anemic.

Reactions: T-88
1 - 20 of 20 Posts