GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I purposely did not ride a 2018-up GL when they came out, because I knew I'd want one.
This last weekend at Mid-Ohio, I rode two (one DCT Tour an one manual "slick" or whatever they call it).

TBH, I preferred the manual trans, but would go with the Tour setup. However, I currently have the Air Bag (2008 with 65k miles) and although I hope to never use it, buying one without the Air Bag is going to be difficult, so I may be stuck with the DCT. We will see.

However, I have a few other concerns. First, I am not a fan of the fob. My Ducati's fob is hit and miss (as are a number of others) and KTM is having issues with them as well. Have only seen a couple with GLs so maybe Honda did a better job, but it is an answer to a question nobody asked. But I can get over that.

More importantly is on-bike comms....can't seem to find anyone who knows the answer to this.
NOTE--I HAVE NOT OWNED A CELL PHONE SINCE 2004 AND HAVE NO PLANS ON DOING SO GOING FORWARD.
--Is there an interface I can use so I can listen to radio/etc?
--Is there an interface I can use to communicate with my wife?

The new GL has no intercom/headset wiring, AFAIK.

It would be a shame if this turns out to be a deal-breaker. If I have to keep my 2008, I will manage.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Greetings from Cleveland.

It will do all you ask, however you will not be hard wired. You will have Bluetooth units on your helmets like the Sena.

Even if you bought a phone, the bike is still the central hub. Phone hooks to bike, helmets hook to bike and the bike controls the flow.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The new Wings have no built in intercom system. You have to purchase a Bluetooth headset for your helmets. These have the intercom system built-in. You do not need to have a cellphone to use the headset with the Wing. I purchased a J&M headset with their top speakers, very good for music. Some intercom system you or passenger have to press a button to start talking if listening to music through the headset. I think there may be some that are VOX voice activated. When the wife and I are out, we just activate the intercom and listen to the music through the external speakers. I've had 3 older Wings with cords and the Bluetooth system still takes getting use to.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
If not using/wanting/needing intercom you can select headset (Bluetooth) or speaker for the output from the bike radio, the bikes navigation system, or from an audio device connected to the bike.

We bought bluetooth headsets when running the previous generation wings for bike -to -bike communication.

Current Bt headsets systems will do both intercom between headsets and can be paired to the bike for bike audio.
The wing can have 2 headsets paired to it. One for rider, one for passenger.

Each person can have their own audio source, if desired. For example, the passenger could pair their headset to their own device, instead of the bike.

Some headsets are available with built-in am/fm radios.

I prefer to listen to the bike speakers, so (usually) am only using the pairing to the other headset. Farmgal likes to listen to headset, so usually uses headset connection to her bike.

Most of the newest generation headsets are capable of communicating to a group at the same time (Cardo packtalk can do 15 I believe).
https://www.cardosystems.com/shop/packtalk-bold/

Bt technology is always changing. The newer ones are much more capable and probably easier to use than older ones.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
You can buy a system from J&M and add wired headsets to a 2018+. Yes, you can turn back the clock 40 or so years.

Or, you can buy a pair of Cardo Packtalk Bolds with JBL speakers.

As for the fob (Smart Key), Honda (and a lot of other) cars have them. Of course it is a natural transition to bikes. Major issues I have read about on here and other forums is unexpected dead batteries (rare) and people accidentally turning them off and not knowing it (also rare). No idea why the bikes you mentioned have fob issues.

Read a recent post somewhere of a rider who washed his fob in a washing machine. He forgot it in his pants pocket. Worked fine afterward.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Okay, I purposely did not ride a 2018-up GL when they came out, because I knew I'd want one.
This last weekend at Mid-Ohio, I rode two (one DCT Tour an one manual "slick" or whatever they call it).

TBH, I preferred the manual trans, but would go with the Tour setup. However, I currently have the Air Bag (2008 with 65k miles) and although I hope to never use it, buying one without the Air Bag is going to be difficult, so I may be stuck with the DCT. We will see.

However, I have a few other concerns. First, I am not a fan of the fob. My Ducati's fob is hit and miss (as are a number of others) and KTM is having issues with them as well. Have only seen a couple with GLs so maybe Honda did a better job, but it is an answer to a question nobody asked. But I can get over that.

More importantly is on-bike comms....can't seem to find anyone who knows the answer to this.
NOTE--I HAVE NOT OWNED A CELL PHONE SINCE 2004 AND HAVE NO PLANS ON DOING SO GOING FORWARD.
--Is there an interface I can use so I can listen to radio/etc?
--Is there an interface I can use to communicate with my wife?

The new GL has no intercom/headset wiring, AFAIK.

It would be a shame if this turns out to be a deal-breaker. If I have to keep my 2008, I will manage.
Buy a pair of these. Pair the both of them to your bike and listen to your motorcycle's radio (and GPS) and talk wirelessly to your wifey.

https://www.cardosystems.com/shop/packtalk-bold-duo/?shop=1 :thumbup:

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
101 Posts
Best Bluetooth in 2019 ???

I have been reading tons on the web. It looks like the new Cardo PackTalk BOLD JBL Headset - Duo Pack may be the way to go. Over $500 for the pair but it seems it does everything. It certainly beats paying J&M $600 for a little box to plug in ancient 5-pin wired sets. The Cardo even has JBL speakers, intercom, mesh network etc etc. I'm too old for this ****.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have been reading tons on the web. It looks like the new Cardo PackTalk BOLD JBL Headset - Duo Pack may be the way to go. Over $500 for the pair but it seems it does everything. It certainly beats paying J&M $600 for a little box to plug in ancient 5-pin wired sets. The Cardo even has JBL speakers, intercom, mesh network etc etc. I'm too old for this ****.

With the Packtalk Bold does it have a port to use your own inner ear speakers instead of the speakers that come with the kit?

·
Registered
554 Posts
The Sena 20 s have a headphone jack. I use Shure ear buds and it’s almost as good as listening in my living room.

·
Registered
101 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
With the Packtalk Bold does it have a port to use your own inner ear speakers instead of the speakers that come with the kit?

Yes, standard 3.5mm jack. Leave it accessible when you mount the unit and you can unplug the speakers and plug in your earbuds.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You may be the only person in America who does not own a cell phone
Work gave me one when they first came out--carried it up until 2004, when I changed jobs and gave it back.
Never been happier, and I'm not going back.

Spend your disposable income as you please; I will do likewise. I spend mine on motorcycles.

Thanks to all for the responses. Perhaps a new GL is back on the table.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,564 Posts
Work gave me one when they first came out, carried it for years until 2004, when I changed jobs and gave it back.
Never been happier, and I'm never going back.
2004 was the year I first got a cell phone...they were just simple flip phones then...now the smartphone does nearly everything...replaced the newspaper, magazines, alarm clock, camera, camcorder, calculator, paper maps,GPS and so much more... the smartphone gives me full access to my bank with the ability to deposit checks, and to use any of my credit cards without having to actually carry my credit cards....the smartphone allows me to pay my bills online and to buy whatever at any store..... even makes and receives phone calls while I'm riding my wing. How do live without a smartphone :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How do live without a smartphone
Probably the same way people lived without them for millions of years? Perhaps we look at life differently...

If I want to read something on-line, I do...I have computers at home, at work, plus a laptop. I don't own a car, so if I'm in motion, it's on two wheels, and I don't have time to be be engrossed in my phone in motion. (Wish many others had that problem....)

Still enjoy reading motorcycle magazines I can hold in my hand--thanks to Bonnier, not much left of the US motorcycle mag industry. Still subscribe to Roadracing World, and a friend shares his copies of Rider...and I have a whole bunch of unread Brit bike magazines. So no, it does not replace any of those.

Alarm clock? Still have one in my bedroom, but I wake up ten minutes before it goes off on weekdays, and sleep until the sun comes up on weekends. If I'm away from home, I don't care when I wake up...won't be much past sunrise, anyway.

GL has a GPS, but I seldom use it. Other two bikes don't have GPS, and I can't remember the last time I was seriously lost. Wrong turn, once in a while...not fatal. Last three years, trips from DFW to coastal SC, Mid-Ohio several times, Lap of Texas to include Big Bend and Port Aransas, up to Northwest Arkansas and a few others. Not all on the GL. No GPS, no problem.

Camera, have one, it's smaller than your cell phone, over ten years old and still works fine. Just took it to Mid-Ohio Vintage Days last weekend for the third consecutive year and took a bunch of pics.

I can access my bank account when I care to; generally speaking, a time or two per month is enough for me.
I pay my bills once a month...online or by check, takes about ten minutes either way.

Let's see, carrying around a $1000 phone that needs to be replaced every year or two, plus $50-70/month in fees...to avoid carrying a credit card which weighs nothing and takes up no space...when I am already carrying a wallet? That makes perfect sense....to somebody.

Many people at work carry two phones...a personal one plus a company one. One guy I know carries three (all personal phones)...I think that is crazy.

I own three bikes (running) plus four more (project bikes). I have owned 94 bikes in my life and plan on topping 100 before I sign off...some people think that is crazy.

Magellan found his way around the world without a cell phone. These days, most people can't find their butt without one.

To each his own.

Thanks again for the input, and best regards,
Rich

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well said Rich. I carry a smart phone because I have to for work (Realtor), but I sure wish I didn't have to. I'm NEVER off of work. The phone rings 24/7, and in this day and age, if you don't answer it, the client will just move on. People expect you to answer, or at least call back within 15 minutes no matter what time or day they call. The only place I'm away from it is on the bike because I refuse to have it Bluetoothed into my audio, but more than once I have called clients back at a wayside rest while on vacation. My wife hates it.

I long for simpler days...

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,564 Posts
Let's see, carrying around a $1000 phone that needs to be replaced every year or two, plus $50-70/month in fees...to avoid carrying a credit card which weighs nothing and takes up no space...when I am already carrying a wallet? That makes perfect sense....to somebody.
You know I was just kidding you a bit ?.. but seriously about the phone...you don't need to replace them every year or two...and they all don't cost 1000 dollars... carrying your credit cards with you in your wallet puts them at risk of you losing them or being stolen or the risk of someone scanning your cards while they are in your wallet as they walk close by you and gaining you credit card info.

With your smartphone none of those risks are there and your cards are at home in a safe location at all times...to be able to use the credit card on your smartphone you have to use your fingerprint...plus there are no credit card numbers with the transactions as each transaction has its own code that is linked to your account...

You also have use your fingerprint or input a security code just to open your phone up before you can even access the bank apps...so if you lost the smartphone nobody can access anything on the phone...not to mention most smartphones have homing apps so you can see exactly where your lost phone or stolen phone is if its still on.....or you can remotely wipe the data from the phone if it was stolen .....its just safer to use the smartphone than to carry the actual credit cards in your wallet in this day and age.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Everybody picks their own poison sorta speaking.....freedom of choice is oh so refreshing. Enjoy the ride!

Reactions: Bullet Bob
1 - 20 of 39 Posts