GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what kind of differences there are between the 2018 Goldwing vs the 2019 or 2020's. I have a dealer in my area that has a good discount on some brand new 2018's. Also what do most riders recommend for add-ons other than stock? I have a 2010 with only 70,000 miles on it and I'm 66 years old so I could probably ride this one until I'm done riding. Plus I'm only 5'7" and 140 lbs so the 90 lbs difference in weight would probably be a big plus. Thanx in advance. Link Leary.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
I would like to know what kind of differences there are between the 2018 Goldwing vs the 2019 or 2020's. I have a dealer in my area that has a good discount on some brand new 2018's. Also what do most riders recommend for add-ons other than stock? I have a 2010 with only 70,000 miles on it and I'm 66 years old so I could probably ride this one until I'm done riding. Plus I'm only 5'7" and 140 lbs so the 90 lbs difference in weight would probably be a big plus. Thanx in advance. Link Leary.
If you want a DCT model the 2020 models transmission has been more refined making it a bit quieter while shifting...passanger handrails have been redesigned for better grip...minor GPS firmware changes and some minor suspension changes...other than that and colors the 2020 model is the same as the 2018 model...the 6-speed model enjoys the same minor changes....other than that the 2020 is the same as the 2018 model
Yes you will love the weight loss over the old model..just one of the many upgrades over the old model

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I got a 2018 Tour DCT when it first came out. No issues whatsoever with the bike and I LOVE the weight loss of the bike. It's a blast to ride over the 2004 GW I had for 13 years. I thought 2004 bike was fun to ride until I switched to the 2018 DCT. Much improved on the fun scale! The minuses some people speak of are WAY outweighed by the pluses of the new model bike. I have completed the DCT reinitialization 3 times on the bike. Takes 10 minutes if you loaf doing it. There is no 100% perfect bike, but there are some that are better than others. The 2018+ is better.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
2019+ gets a second fob. That's around $100 value. 2020 gets the blacked out engine and frame, which I really like, but I don't like it enough to get rid of my 2018. My bike has had zero problems. Great bike. Glad I didn't diddle around and wait for "refinements".

And the 2020 grab rails can be fitted to a 2018 for under $300. The only thing I'd use them for is to wrap a cable lock around them for my helmet, but I just put helmets on the seat and use a seat cover. Been doing that for years and never an issue. Yeah, the one helmet lock on this bike is a PITA to use.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Regarding add-ons, I recommend that you ride a couple thousand miles and decide what items are necessary, or just desirable. Some will insist the seat is atrocious, the windshield is inadequate, the suspension is poor, or the ECU needs reprogramming. You may find that none of these upgrades are necessary for your style of riding.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Regarding add-ons, I recommend that you ride a couple thousand miles and decide what items are necessary, or just desirable. Some will insist the seat is atrocious, the windshield is inadequate, the suspension is poor, or the ECU needs reprogramming. You may find that none of these upgrades are necessary for your style of riding.
I found none of the above needed addressing, at least in my case. And I've been on several 10-14 day trips. I guess it's just butt shape (size), your height for the windshield (fits me fine), I can scrap pegs if I want and the suspension does fine and I don't need to go 113+ MPH. But different size folks will need to adjust. But that would be the case on most motorcycles.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I would guess the differ between the 2018 and the 2019 will be the VIN number

My Shoei NeoTec II does not fit in my trunk unless I take the Sena off and lay it down on the side with the Sena cradle up. Did you guys get Tour/s with bigger trunks than mine...now 'm mad!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts