GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not seen any threads as to the audio output of the new GW. I test rode one last week and ad and highway speed the radio was useless. Has anyone actually had the amplifier option installed on a new GW? It was very disappointing to consider buying such a fine bike only to realize that the cost does not include a half way decent sound system.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
did you configure the avc ? my radio is fine at 70 mph with the volume at a setting of 12

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
did you configure the avc ? my radio is fine at 70 mph with the volume at a setting of 12
Mine is as well.

I always listen to radio or USB tunes by speaker.

No volume issues at all.

I have the audio sound settings for bass and treble at zero, bass boost is on, fader at zero.
I think the auto volume at mid for speakers..

EDIT to add:

Under Vehicle Settings:

aSelect [EQ1] or [EQ2], and then press or switch to change the equalizer curve.
•[EQ1]: for models equipped with 4 speakers
•[EQ2]: for models equipped with 2 speakers

Same area also has a setting for ext amp, which of course is 'off' if ext amp not installed.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
there is a setting that keeps the volume the same when at speed, if not configured it causes symptoms like you are experiencing

Reactions: UNCLEJOHN

·
Registered
612 Posts
There is an audio amp upgrade for the Goldwing available if you want it from Honda accessories.
I believe it’s a 100 amp unit.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
The bike that need an audio upgrade is the BMW K1600s. Between the alternator noise and the other problems it was near worthless. The Gold Wing Tour audio system on my Wing is clear and the sound is clean. I don't use the speakers but run it through a Schuberth C4 with a SC1 Pro headset.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
No issues with mine at speed either. check your settings. I do wish it had room for bigger speakers though. id like to upgrade them

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The bike that need an audio upgrade is the BMW K1600s. Between the alternator noise and the other problems it was near worthless. The Gold Wing Tour audio system on my Wing is clear and the sound is clean. I don't use the speakers but run it through a Schuberth C4 with a SC1 Pro headset.
the sound thru the speakers is the issue

·
Registered
612 Posts
The amp upgrade is 220 watts, 55 per speaker.

:doorag:
Murf,

You forgot to add the price! Only a meir $1099.99.

Reactions: murf

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
foam ear plugs mine is at 8-10 at 75 . i can hear it great . i dont ride w-o ear plugs . road wind noise is awe full

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the amp upgrade. There is a noticeable difference over the stock audio system, not that the stock audio system is bad.

Yeah, it is a bit pricey. Is it worth it? Considering how long I will likely ride this bike. For me, yeah it was probably worth it.

·
Love The DCT
12,017 Posts
I have the amp upgrade. There is a noticeable difference over the stock audio system, not that the stock audio system is bad.

Yeah, it is a bit pricey. Is it worth it? Considering how long I will likely ride this bike. For me, yeah it was probably worth it.
Definitely a personal decision of whether you want to spend the bucks for the amp upgrade or not. On another note, you do lose some saddle bag space.

·
Registered
16,976 Posts
I found that the price of the power amp was negotiable. I have it, rarely use it. With the better F4 wind shield I discovered that with the AVC set to max, the sound got too loud at cruise speed, I had to back it down a notch AND that was without the AMP activated. I also wear ear plugs (musician's type) with my ha The AMP would be good for parties with the trunk like up and the tunes blasting away ... if you are into that kind of foolishment.

prs

Reactions: Farmguy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Definitely a personal decision of whether you want to spend the bucks for the amp upgrade or not. On another note, you do lose some saddle bag space.
Agree, I think it is much more a personal decision than a necessity. Nothing like the factory sound system on the BMW K1600's.

As for the saddlebag space it takes up, Honda did a nice job with where there have it mounted and how it is covered. It doesn't take up as much space as I had thought would. I suppose the operative word is "some" space. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts

I have the amp upgrade as well, and I agree :agree:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know my 2012 sound system was much better than the one on the 2018. I guess Honda got cheap with the new generation Wing as it applies to the sound system.

·
Registered
92 Posts
So does the standard amp have something like 20 watts / channel. Didn’t the old generation have 80 watts per?
Yikes, that’s a big drop in performance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts