GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 update: 1,000 miles on my new bike. I have been trying to figure out if its a vibration caused from the tire, road, or a characteristic of the bike not being as smooth a my previous wings with my latest being a 2012. I believe after a 1,000 miles on the 2019 bike that it's a characteristic of the new motor/frame/bars etc.... I tried all different speeds on cruise control in dct auto, tour mode.
At 40 mph. and below there is NO vibration in the grips that i can detect. At 45, 50,55,60,65, etc... on smooth roads there is a bar vibration in the grip that almost feels like it wants to oscillate very slightly. I had the dealer try it today, and he also felt it. Then I jumped directly onto my 2012 with bridgestone g704 and g709 and it was SMOOTH as butter NO vibes NO slight oscillating. Then I drove another 2019 tour model and it was the same feeling as my new 2019.
I also performed another test procedure by reaching into and grabbing the left and right upright portion of the bars and felt NO vibration. Then moving to the top left and right portion of the bars on the large metal part just before where the plastic perches are located and NO vibration what so ever! As soon as you move outward to both of the hand grips the vibration begins! I did a search and found where someone else here was experiencing the issue and the put Kury iso grips and bar end weights. This to me is an issue i'm not sure i can live with coming off of my other gl 1800 bike. I know that others here must be experiencing this issue please comment on same I want to hear how you fixed your issue. Anyone? thanks

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
Dont have new bike but seeing no vibration slower speeds wonder if balance of tire ?

Reactions: Pigeon Roost

·
Registered
316 Posts
More vibes on my 2018 than my bud's 2008 but that is at idle and not at speed. It gets better when the engine warms up, but it is still there at stops. I chalk it up to a new engine/suspension setup, as well as Honda getting away from the smooth as butter and "sewing machine" aesthetic.

·
Registered
242 Posts
2019 update: 1,000 miles on my new bike. I have been trying to figure out if its a vibration caused from the tire, road, or a characteristic of the bike not being as smooth a my previous wings with my latest being a 2012. I believe after a 1,000 miles on the 2019 bike that it's a characteristic of the new motor/frame/bars etc.... I tried all different speeds on cruise control in dct auto, tour mode.
At 40 mph. and below there is NO vibration in the grips that i can detect. At 45, 50,55,60,65, etc... on smooth roads there is a bar vibration in the grip that almost feels like it wants to oscillate very slightly. I had the dealer try it today, and he also felt it. Then I jumped directly onto my 2012 with bridgestone g704 and g709 and it was SMOOTH as butter NO vibes NO slight oscillating. Then I drove another 2019 tour model and it was the same feeling as my new 2019.
I also performed another test procedure by reaching into and grabbing the left and right upright portion of the bars and felt NO vibration. Then moving to the top left and right portion of the bars on the large metal part just before where the plastic perches are located and NO vibration what so ever! As soon as you move outward to both of the hand grips the vibration begins! I did a search and found where someone else here was experiencing the issue and the put Kury iso grips and bar end weights. This to me is an issue i'm not sure i can live with coming off of my other gl 1800 bike. I know that others here must be experiencing this issue please comment on same I want to hear how you fixed your issue. Anyone? thanks
Bought my 2018 DCT Tour and took delivery on September 2018. I noticed a bar vibration right away which was just as you described. It was most pronounced around 50-55 mph. Wasn't noticeable below 40. Tire & wheel was removed and balanced twice to no avail. The wheel was checked for out of round and run in / run out left to right and all was at or near zero. Replacing the front tire (and balancing) cured the problem. Hope you find your solution soon.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
I do think you feel more engine vibration on the throttle side Vs the old wings. Very little more but more

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Greg did you use the same tire DUNLOP? I have to do something now i am noticing numbness in my throttle hand overnight! that i never had before.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I slipped on a set of the original Grip Puppies, mainly for the larger diameter, but they also help with vibration. Quick fix for under $20.

·
Registered
16,987 Posts
OP's description fits tire balance problem. Get it checked as an easy first step.

prs

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I believe what the GW crowd describes as vibrated, the V-twin guys would say "smooth as butter". I would say my 19 many not be exactly as smooth as my previous 1500's and 1800's, but its still smooth as glass compared to some other bikes. My K1600 had a smoother engine than any of the gen 5 or 6 Wings.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Greg did you use the same tire DUNLOP? I have to do something now i am noticing numbness in my throttle hand overnight! that i never had before.
Yes, I used the original Bridgestone replacement, same as came stock on the bike. After 5,000 miles it's doing fine with very little wear and no cupping evident anywhere on the tire.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Coming off a a Harley my 2018 DCT is obviously smooth comparatively. I can feel some vibration, which seems get better as the bike warms up, but it’s still there. It’s not quite as smooth as a 2016 F6B I test rode and not as smooth as a my former 2006 ST1300, which was like glass. I changed to Bridegstones about 1000 miles ago, so it’s not the tires. I just attribute it to part of the bike, but I wonder if it doesn’t have something to do with the new exhaust? I test rode a California Sidecar trike conversion DCT a couple of weeks ago and it was similar, so I guess it’s normal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts