GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

I admit, this clutch is driving me crazy... Not that its a long drive lol
I have been riding GL1800s for 10 years, so I am not a newbie to the wing... I had a 2008 and and 2012 with over 70,000 miles on both, and never had any issues with operating the clutch in smooth and controlled way. However, I am having troubles getting smooth with this one. You DCT owners are probably just chuckling :grin2:...

The engagement point is much farther out away from the left handlebar, than my previous wings... This means the release point occurs when my fingers are much closer to straight instead of bent, and hence my control is less precise. Finding that friction zone is very difficult. The old wing had a much larger friction zone, and this one seems to be a very small part of the travel.

Anyone else experience this? And if so, what things might I try? I have already adjusted the travel knob to a lower setting (3 to 2), but the lever and release point still seem far away from the bar... I’m sure this will eventually get better for me, but I am struggling for sure. Thanks for any and all helpful advice

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,551 Posts
Yes the new wings clutch feel is quite different from the old model. I didn't like it at first and it felt strange, but you will adapt and after a while, the clutch will feel natural and you will wonder how it ever felt strange. I have no complaints about the clutch feel.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Well,

I have been riding GL1800s for 10 years, so I am not a newbie to the wing... I had a 2008 and and 2012 with over 70,000 miles on both, and never had any issues with operating the clutch in smooth and controlled way. However, I am having troubles getting smooth with this one. You DCT owners are probably just chuckling :grin2:...

The engagement point is much farther out away from the left handlebar, than my previous wings... This means the release point occurs when my fingers are much closer to straight instead of bent, and hence my control is less precise. Finding that friction zone is very difficult. The old wing had a much larger friction zone, and this one seems to be a very small part of the travel.

Anyone else experience this? And if so, what things might I try? I have already adjusted the travel knob to a lower setting (3 to 2), but the lever and release point still seem far away from the bar... I’m sure this will eventually get better for me, but I am struggling for sure. Thanks for any and all helpful advice
It's a two step process... 1) ride it to your dealer, 2) trade it for a DCT >:)

In all seriousness though, how long have you had it? Back in my manual transmission days, I always found there was an adjustment period getting used to a new clutch before all the muscle memory stuff set in and clutch control became second nature for my new bike like it was for my old bike.

Reactions: Steveo1800

·
IronMan
17,631 Posts
Can you adjust lever to come in more ?

Reactions: thekid

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well,

Before getting my new wing, I had a 2017 H-D Ultra Classic. That was the first year they went to a Hydraulic clutch. As this was a completely new model (First Milw Eight) there weren't many options. At least the GW has adjustable levers. Some Harley guys were heating up and bending the levers closer to the bars. I tried that myself but was afraid to snap the lever. I eventually got used to it. I would have bought adjustable levers had they been available.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
With my 2018 DCT, I get a cramp in my finger from shifting so fast in the twisties! Any help with this issue . . . :1st:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I've got the same issue with my BMW....the clutch engagement point is at the last 1/8" inch of lever travel, but being a hydraulic clutch, there is no adjustment. My HD has a hydraulic clutch too, but the engagement point is just about halfway out from the grip. Going between the two bikes can get "interesting".

·
Registered
794 Posts
Well,

Get an automatic :smile2:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I totally shared your pain. I loved the redesign and wanted the lightest/simplest version, so I went with the base 6 speed. Looking into the future at 73 years of age, ease of maintenance (I do my own) and lighter weight were priorities for me. After 10 years on Wings, clutch issues never occurred to me as a possible issue on the 2018. It was!! My 2012 clutch was a dream to operate. With the 2018, I was stalling once or twice on virtually every outing. Annoying and embarrassing! To be honest, for many months I was wondering if selling my dialed in, low mileage 2012 was a huge mistake.

Take heart! I've had the bike for 1 year this month. The clutch is much easier for me now. I think it is for the following reasons: 1) I put the lever at 5 for sooner engagement. 2) I eventually learned where to expect the friction zone and it's characteristics (narrower?) 3) I now know I need to be more conscious of a smooth start from rest, so I don't try to engage like I did/could with the 2102. I have to be more deliberate. And 4) I really think the clutch has actually worn in. It does not grab like it used to in my estimation.

I'm no clutch plates expert, so I don't know if I'm right about the wear. It does seem to me to work better. (Or maybe it is just my year of practice!!) One thing though - the 6 speed transmission is absolutely sweet!! Love it!!

Hang in there!

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
In my opinion..... my 2013 clutch is spot on perfect. No other motorcycle I have ever ridden is as nice. They got it right.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've got the same issue with my BMW....the clutch engagement point is at the last 1/8" inch of lever travel, but being a hydraulic clutch, there is no adjustment. My HD has a hydraulic clutch too, but the engagement point is just about halfway out from the grip. Going between the two bikes can get "interesting".

YES, those cop riders hated the new Clutches on the Harleys. The friction zone is smaller, and farther out from the grip because of the hydraulic clutch. You can get used to it, but it takes some time.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I bought mine May of 2018 and found the same has you. Clutch doesn't fully engage until the lever is almost all the way out. As a result, I stalled the bike twice in the first month. As time progressed I got used to it and don't have any problems. You'll also get used to it over time. Same goes for the location of the horn button.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hey, here is a bazaar idea. What if one was to intentionally introduce a bit of air into the clutch line on purpose? Just a smidgen. Wouldn't that bring the engage/disengage point closer to the grip? Wouldn't it also, in effect, widen the grabbing range? Like having a mushy brake pedal, you could get a mushy clutch lever!

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,551 Posts
The title of this thread is a bit misleading. The clutch with the new wing is actually very smooth and has a lighter pull than the old model. The shifting is smooth, light and effortless with a shorter throw with the shifter...downshifts are quiet and very smooth. The transmission refinements makes this bike a joy to ride.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Hey, here is a bazaar idea. What if one was to intentionally introduce a bit of air into the clutch line on purpose? Just a smidgen. Wouldn't that bring the engage/disengage point closer to the grip? Wouldn't it also, in effect, widen the grabbing range? Like having a mushy brake pedal, you could get a mushy clutch lever!
More air in the line would make it not disengage fully (gear clash?) But you are onto something (maybe). Has anyone blead the clutch to see if they have air in them. I know, it would have to be all of them. But look at all the low final drives/engine oils or other dealer short comings with the new model. You never know until you diagnose.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I totally shared your pain. I loved the redesign and wanted the lightest/simplest version, so I went with the base 6 speed. Looking into the future at 73 years of age, ease of maintenance (I do my own) and lighter weight were priorities for me. After 10 years on Wings, clutch issues never occurred to me as a possible issue on the 2018. It was!! My 2012 clutch was a dream to operate. With the 2018, I was stalling once or twice on virtually every outing. Annoying and embarrassing! To be honest, for many months I was wondering if selling my dialed in, low mileage 2012 was a huge mistake.

Take heart! I've had the bike for 1 year this month. The clutch is much easier for me now. I think it is for the following reasons: 1) I put the lever at 5 for sooner engagement. 2) I eventually learned where to expect the friction zone and it's characteristics (narrower?) 3) I now know I need to be more conscious of a smooth start from rest, so I don't try to engage like I did/could with the 2102. I have to be more deliberate. And 4) I really think the clutch has actually worn in. It does not grab like it used to in my estimation.

I'm no clutch plates expert, so I don't know if I'm right about the wear. It does seem to me to work better. (Or maybe it is just my year of practice!!) One thing though - the 6 speed transmission is absolutely sweet!! Love it!!

Hang in there!
Thanks for the feedback. I did adjust the rotary setting to 4 and then 5. This did help, in that I had more bend in my fingers for better control. I admit I have not had a lot of time with the bike, so I like the bike enough to keep trying and practicing. My 2012 was so easy in comparison that I never gave it a second thought, but like you I find myself stalling the bike a lot. This is of course highly undesirable when turning from a stop.

I am practicing a lot in parking lots, and hopefully this will improve. I will set myself a goal and timeline. I’m either going to get a lot better soon, or its going back. I can’t see struggling with such a basic, yet important part of riding experience.

Thanks again, its at least good to know that I am not the only rider to have issues with this

1 - 20 of 23 Posts