GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum. Just picked up a new 2019 DCT TOUR blue last week with 3 miles on the clock. Perfect until delivered. While in transport to me the dealer employee failed to sufficiently protect the paint from the rub of the tie downs being used across the middle cowlings. Hence, both middle cowlings have a noticeable 2 inch rub through the clear coat that looks blurry. Not what I expected on my dream bike. Called dealer asap and he said no problem and will replace both middle cowlings. My question is - how much of the new bike has to come apart to install these middle cowlings? I want the GW to look showroom new again, but will removing the center cowlings and everything else it entails do more harm than good once it gets torn apart? Can it go back together as good as the factory job? Love this bike so far - what an different experience the DCT makes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I totally get where you are coming from....but in all reality the bike will need to come apart to do regular maintenance (air filter) on it....so the real questions is...does your dealer specialize in Goldwings or is he just a Honda dealer...?

If your dealer knows what he is doing...you will be fine to have the cowling replaced...otherwise buy Fred H videos and do it yourself....

It is a bummer...my right rear bag was damaged...had to wait 3 months to get a new bag....but it looks great....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, they are a major chain multi-line dealer here in metro Atlanta with a large selection of brand new GW's. Thanks Lab Rider!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Is it completely through the clear?

This video should allow you to see the required parts that will have to come off.

I highly recommend taking to opportunity to buy Freds online videos, they will provide you with al you need.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
I would not have taken delivery

But you did

Should take the dealer an hour to replace

·
Registered
16,985 Posts
There are several YouTube videos that show the process. One of the best by Max McCallister. Cruiserman's as noted above should show it well too. Getting a set of video "how to" from Fred and a service manual will save you a bunch of dough and enjoy the chores too.

prs

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am not positive as he had it unhooked by the time I had gone outside. I have read do not tie down using the handlebars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure how far down the through the clearcoat. But polish or Plexxus will do nothing to change the rub. I will let the dealer do his job since they are taking full responsibility.

97% of people would never notice, but when it's your bike, and it's brand new, and it's a $28K bike, you notice everything and want it to be right.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
That looks like some good clear coat polish might fix it.

Getting the cowl off is pretty straight forward, but there are some gotchas. It is held on by a couple studs and gromments, two push pins (that are behind other panels), and a single screw behind the mirror. Be careful not to break off the fragile little alignment tabs that are at the upper edges when removing it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks Fred. What type of clear coat polish you recommend? Left side is the worse than right. Right is negligible. I rather try to polish out than tear the bike apart. But the dealer is going to resolve so I will let him do his job.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I took Fred’s suggestion and used some good polish and elbow grease. It seems to have worked! Scuff / rub mark is gone. The paint can take a good rubbing. Thanks Fred for the tip.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes, they are a major chain multi-line dealer here in metro Atlanta with a large selection of brand new GW's. Thanks Lab Rider!
Was it Freedom Powersports by chance ? They were my dealer. Couldn’t figure out how to tie the new wing down when they delivered mine. They asked my permission for an experienced employees to ride it to my house.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Was it Freedom Powersports by chance ? They were my dealer. Couldn’t figure out how to tie the new wing down when they delivered mine. They asked my permission for an experienced employees to ride it to my house.
Sounds like they have some snot-nosed kids working in the delivery dept. Someone should introduce them to common motorcycle tie-downs. That is no way to treat a person's brand new motorcycle.

@swrapp Perhaps they should compensate you with a really sizeable credit of some kind -- In store or .....

:congrats: On your beautiful new Goldwing . Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts