GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! Been lurking here for a few years and thought I'd finally go ahead and register and share my experiences with my DCT Tour. I'm 32 and live in NW Houston Metro (Tomball). This will be a bit lengthy because I'm bored LOL.

I've always been interested in having a touring bike but always felt super turned off and unwelcome by the stereotypical HD crowd. I'd been super interested in the DCT feature ever since learning about it back in 2018 and finally got a chance to test ride one at the 2021 MotoGP race weekend at COTA. That 20 minute demo ride around Austin sealed the deal on what touring bike I wanted.

On 3/28/2022 in inner-city Houston traffic a driver (probably on their phone) turned left in front of me and I t-boned them on my 2014 FZ-09. Speed limit was 40 and I was probably going about 48 when I engaged the brakes. I was probably down to ~5mph on impact and probably could've swerved out of the way if I had confidence they were going to fully commit to the turn. They were kind enough to immediately speed off without even hesitating to see if they killed me. I walked away with a totaled bike, a sore left heel(that still bothers me first thing every morning, but seems to go away more and more every day), and an extremely easy to deal with uninsured motorist claim that made me whole about 2.5x over.

3 weeks later I picked up a new leftover 2019 DCT Tour in black. Pulled up in front of the house and called my wife out to take a spin. Went out to ride around and get some food and came back about 5 hours later in the dark. Felt like I was on top of the world. Pulled up to the garage door and started to get ready to fumble the middle compartment for the garage door opener. Somewhere between being inexperienced with not having a clutch, being overwhelmed by how many buttons the bike has, not yet being fully comfortable with how big the bike is as a 5'8 170 lb guy with a 30" inseam, having a pillion, being exhausted and super excited at the same time...I gave the bike a little bit of gas and got surprised. Reached for the clutch that wasn't there and got even more surprised and CRASHED THE BIKE ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE GARAGE DOOR. Luckily for us, an off-duty police/fireman happened to be driving by, called his buddies, and I ended up with 3 LEOs helping me figure out how to lift the bike out of the mangled garage door within 5 minutes of it happening.

Needless to say, I was absolutely MORTIFIED. I totaled a bike 3 weeks ago and just crashed what is one of the most expensive stock bikes through my garage door the first time trying to garage it. I felt like a total idiot and went to sleep feeling super defeated. Motorcycling is one of the few pleasures in life that I haven't become jaded to, and I went to sleep that night feeling like I'd lost it too.

Woke up at 4 AM the next day to go access the damage. Paint transfer from the garage above the headlights, broke 1 unnoticeable clip on the fog light cover, and scuffed the plastic engine guard. Got out my DA sander and buffed the paint transfer off with compound. Basically looks like nothing happened. Replaced the somewhat rickety garage door with a new insulated garage door that I planned on upgrading to at some point anyways. Undeterred and to the chagrin of my wife, I rode the bike to work a few hours later.

About 4 days later, we took our first long-ish ride over to the 3-day 2022 MotoGP event in Austin. When leaving the event to ride to our hotel after the first day, I tried to take the bike off the center stand without sitting on top of it and dropped the bike on its right side. Once again, zero damage other than my pride. Driving back to Houston, we had super heavy cross-wind gusts the entire 3 hour ride...I spent half the ride with most of my body hanging off the bike trying to fight the wind blowing me off the road. This bike is NOT friendly with cross-wind when you have a pillion. My wife was terrified; I thought it was fun.

Our next "long" ride was a trip to NOLA for the weekend. This was the first time I got to show my wife why I enjoy motorcycles so much for commuting: lane splitting. I-10 was at a dead stop and it was around a reported 104 F heat index and probably much hotter than that on the road. Split for only about a mile and gave the police we passed a nod. That 1 mile shaved 2 hours off our GPS's ETA and saved what would have most likely been a miserable day even in my truck.

Next trip was Shreveport for Wing Ding. WOW -- that was a disappointment and I felt super out-of-place there. Didn't know they announced GWRRA was shutting down on the first day and was bummed that there was basically no vendors. I was really hoping to get the chance to sit on a bike with custom seats and handlebars, but there were no vendors and almost everyone in attendance either drove a car or a trike. Went ahead and participated in the parade even though the rain was pretty torrential. Ended up taking an L on our hotel and going home early because the "rally" was lame and a rained-out Shreveport isn't exactly appealing to folks from Houston. The drive however was great...that was my first time ever riding in heavy rain. It rained on and off the 5 hours there and heavy almost the whole time on the 5 hours back. I was super happy to finally confirm for myself how much of a non-factor rain is to motorcycle operation and it made me even more pumped about having a nice touring bike.

Recently took the bike down to Lone Star Rally down in Galveston, TX. Had a great time down at the beach drinking and watching the bands. I don't really have any friends who're into motorcycles, so I didn't want to shell out $500 a night to sleep at a hotel 1.5 hours from my house. After sobering up, we got suggested to drive down "The Strand" once before going home. Big mistake. Traffic was moving at a crawl. Probably 20k bikes parked, people all over the place...hundreds of ear-shattering sound systems playing all right next to each other for some reason, train tracks running parallel to the entire course. This bike is INCREDIBLY hard to ride that slow. It is VERY hard to ride slow on this bike if you aren't going fast enough to keep the bike stable with the rear brake. It's also the only time I've ever stalled the bike out. Yes that's right, the DCT stalled. TWICE. It also ground the living hell out of the gears. It DOES NOT like being driven that slow. I wonder if I should've just put it in walking mode and moved it forward with the paddle the whole time. Oh well. That was my first real rally(Wing Ding was more of a retirement reunion) and I think they aren't really my thing.

The bike is now pretty much my daily driver. Rain or shine. I can wear full gear, pack a change of shoes, a backpack, and lunch and walk into my office looking like I didn't compromise anything to ride a motorcycle to work. Exactly what I wanted. I've been riding incident free since dropping the bike at MotoGP and am sitting at 11k miles now. My round-trip commute to work is about 70 miles of heavy city traffic and takes me about 1 hour and 50 minutes in my truck. I lane-split almost the entire way to/from work on the bike and it cuts my commute down to about 1 hour and 10 minutes if I split at safe speeds. I get to ride a motorcycle AND claim 40 minutes of my day back. WIN/WIN!!! It's not legal in Texas, but I've done this past so many police that could've easily pursued me on the shoulder and chose not to that I've kind of decided they must not care enough to do anything about it if you're not riding like a madman and traffic is crawling. A lot of people also scoot over in their lane to give me extra comfort space just like I see people doing in legal places like California.

DCT Tour-specific thoughts:

DCT - Freaking awesome. I may be a minority, but I don't think there's anything inherently fun about standard transmission. Off-road riding and popping wheelies is really the only semi-legitimate need for a clutch in my opinion. Commuting with a standard is a chore. Road racing doesn't touch the clutch for anything other than a few seconds during launch control for a while now. Clutch work is over-romanticized.

The seat - I see a lot of folks in here complaining about the seat. I feel a bit cramped in the seat with a pillion because my wife's legs stop me from being able to scoot as far back and squirm around freely like I usually do. That being said, I've never been on any type of bike that doesn't suck with a pillion compared to solo. No offense to anyone, but the seat is only uncomfortable if you're sitting with bad form from being weak and out of shape. I see people modding their bikes so that their arms are higher up and completely straight and putting floor boards that prevent you from being able to position your legs properly. Both of these things decrease the ability to control the bike properly. Throwing a few thousand into the bike is a lot easier than making lifestyle changes, so I don't really fault anyone.

The engine/controls - Love the sound of a cold start. Love that it isn't obnoxiously loud. DCT makes it have decent torque at most speeds. Pulls can be surprisingly slow in Tour mode when trying to pass someone at highway speed when the DCT lags a bit with the downshift. I am also not a huge fan of the ride-by-wire setup. 100% throttle happens WAY before 100% twist and it's a bit disconcerting when I really wring it out and give it the beans for a few seconds and then let off a bit only to find out I haven't untwisted enough to start engine braking.

Reverse function - Having reverse is NICE. I back my bike in all the way up the driveway into my garage so that I can pull away forward. My driveway is at a slight incline like most driveways I've seen. I've attempted to back it up without the reverse feature before -- it is not possible. The bike is too big to spin it around on its kickstand. Trying to roll it down the driveway backwards, downhill, and between the cars wouldn't be fun. I would ride the bike WAY less if it didn't have reverse.

Handling - This is a very easy bike to handle. There is definitely a learning curve for slow-speed maneuvers because of the DCT, but it's easily overcome with confidence and riding the rear brake. Main limiting factor at-speed in the twisties is that parts of the bike start dragging on the ground, but at that point you're already going entirely too fast for public roads anyways. This thing is basically a slow (comparatively) sport-tourer and I love it.

Quirks/Complaints -

• Not a fan of the horn placement. I've never been able to actually use it when I need it
  • Wish the middle compartment was lockable from factory. I'm not a fan of any of the aftermarket solutions.
  • I wish CarPlay/Android Auto would work without the headset being paired. My Cardo is easy enough to connect/disconnect while riding just by turning it on/off and if CarPlay worked without it I'd be able to hop on the bike and ride off in a hurry. Instead I end up having to stand there waiting for my bike to boot up, wait for my headset to connect, and then wait to make sure CarPlay initiates without error after I plug my phone in. My headset is super unreliable with connecting to the bike if it's turned on before the bike software boots. The whole process makes me feel pretty silly when I'm doing quick things like getting gas or running into the donut shop on my way to work.
  • The trunk beeps and automatically pops back open if someone tries to close it when the keys aren't around. I'm sure there's some reason for this explained in the manual, but it seems silly.

Other bikes that I want:
  • BMW R 1250 GS. My wife has been hinting about surprising me with one bought directly from that place that has a week-long adventure class in the Rockies that includes the course with the bike. Fingers crossed LOL
  • a non-street legal 600cc bike dedicated for the track with all the performance goodies installed

Anyways, that's all for now. Hope someone can get something from reading about my success, failures, and thoughts on the bike.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I would suggest that you try rain mode when your riding slow at a crawl pace and definately when you have a passenger on the back. Your dct should have not stalled. There is supposed to be a bulletin for some certain year bikes stalling.

·
Love The DCT
13,526 Posts
You mentioned in your post; "This bike is INCREDIBLY hard to ride that slow. It is VERY hard to ride slow on this bike if you aren't going fast enough to keep the bike stable with the rear brake. It's also the only time I've ever stalled the bike out. Yes that's right, the DCT stalled. TWICE. It also ground the living hell out of the gears. It DOES NOT like being driven that slow."

I was in a two hour traffic jam on I15 in Las Vegas were you would travel two or three car lengths then come to a stop for 20-30 seconds then move forward. Bike was easy to control at low speed with no grinding of the gears or engine stalling.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,689 Posts
I would suggest that you try rain mode when your riding slow at a crawl pace and definately when you have a passenger on the back. Your dct should have not stalled. There is supposed to be a bulletin for some certain year bikes stalling.
FYI, although several DCT owners have reported similar stalls, so far in the US, that bulletin is for Gen6s with manual transmissions.

·
Love The DCT
13,526 Posts
That bulletin does not apply to the DCT bikes. It applies to the 6 speed manual models.

·
Registered
Future Goldwing owner - current sport bike owner looking to sell
117 Posts
I appreciate your thoughts as I will be in the market for a 2018+ after New Years.
You mentioned you’re thinking about a 600 cc track bike . I have a 2015 BMW S1000rr that is a beast and will be up for sale after I get it serviced.

It’s bigger than what you want but something to consider anyway.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I got tired just scrolling with my thumb. Sorry but no way I’m reading all that. So I’ll just give these canned responses.
Glad no one was hurt. Was there a wreck?
It’s a vastly different bike the than pre-‘18.
DCT is awesome but not for everyone.
No there’s no recent update.
Oil? Meh, won’t even bother.
Yes seat sucks.
BT and ACP is finicky.
Hopefully I covered it.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
The OP said "The seat is only uncomfortable to those that are weak and out of shape" yea right.
It's the OPs first post and obviously meant to get a rise out of members.........
I refuse to respond directly to such silly comments, when it has zero basis or truth.
He doesn't know you, me or any members of this forum.........I would pit my fitness routine and physical shape against the majority of members on this forum.......

The stock seat still SUCKS regardless. :LOL:

·
Registered
983 Posts
It's the OPs first post and obviously meant to get a rise out of members.........
I refuse to respond directly to such silly comments, when it has zero basis or truth.
He doesn't know you, me or any members of this forum.........I would pit my fitness routine and physical shape against the majority of members on this forum.......

The stock seat still SUCKS regardless. :LOL:
Indeed it’s pretty bad. I’m 40 years old and about 1 hour is all I can take before I have to stand up n the bike for a little while or just pull over and stretch a bit

·
Registered
300 Posts
Indeed it’s pretty bad. I’m 40 years old and about 1 hour is all I can take before I have to stand up n the bike for a little while or just pull over and stretch a bit
:cool:
so, get another seat. For a couple thousand bucks you can easily get placed into your preferred armchair...There must be a dozen vendors out there by now, each offering multiple variations of their ideas of custom seats, including all the colors of the rainbow in leather and vinyl...I don't have a stock seat on any of my bikes and I currently rock a RTL on my 1250RT beemer ( the worst seat of the lot) after trying a Sargent. An Ultimate on my trike (The best of the group) and a Corbin on my Gen 6 Tour DCT (OK).
Just like oil, enough has been written on these forums about posterior shapes and positioning preferences. Long and short arms and legs, about flatfooting, handlebar and windshield alternatives. Some of which, IMHO, suggests the owners are on the wrong bike. VMMV

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,953 Posts
I feel for you. I was in the same boat...RDL was the fix and now 900 mile days are comfortable...OEM, I could barely ride 100 miles in comfort

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour
1,236 Posts
World record first post on any forum I've ever been on. Just for fun I did a copy and paste into a word document: 2,286 words. Do we get extra points for reading it all in one sitting?
Gotta admit though, I did get a charge out of that encounter with the garage door: thankful there were no injuries or significant damage to the Honda or other vehicles.

·
Registered
2018 6-Speed
935 Posts
Welcome to a fellow Texan from Crockett, TX. Don't know how you got the bike thru your garage door without more damage! Glad you are enjoying the Goldwing, Houston is a tuff town to ride any M/C in!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Welcome from Tampa, Florida.🌞 Lived in a small Spring, TX neighborhood called Champion's Forest not too far from you back in the '80's. Not sure if it's still there, but nearby Strack Farms, IMHO, was maybe the best BBQ place on the planet. Very interesting, and much appreciated perspective from a 32 y.o. rider. So glad you took the time to express a variety of thoughts.

And I agree with you completely about the seat. I switched mine out, and added risers to change the physical ergonomics to emphasize a "touring" ride over the factory spec "sport" feel. But then I hit the gym two hours a day five to six days a week. My curse, no one else's. Ride safe.

·
Registered
Future Goldwing owner - current sport bike owner looking to sell
117 Posts
I see nothing wrong with changing the ergonomics on a bike. When I get into a car I move the seat up or back, and adjust the steering wheel up or down to suit me.
Imagine a car with the seats bolted to the floor. That's kinda what you get on a motorcycle isn't it?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
"Not a fan of the horn placement. I've never been able to actually use it when I need it "

None of us are. A while back someone here suggested putting a stick on rubber button to build up the horn switch. I did and it really helps finding the button with mc gloves.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts