GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

Really starting to enjoy my new Gold Wing Tour. Bike has 3700 miles on it, and basically since new, I get a definite Howling sound from the front tire on applying the front brake. The more aggressive the braking the louder the howling.

This bike has the Dunlop Sportmax tires on it. The tires are great other than this. Anyone experiencing this? I assuming its some characteristic of the tire and not a problem with bike, since the bike handles great and the tires and suspension seem to perform normally... Comments anyone?

Thanks in advance

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
My bike came with the Dunlops. Never heard any howling sound from the front tire while braking.

:doorag:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hello All:

Really starting to enjoy my new Gold Wing Tour. Bike has 3700 miles on it, and basically since new, I get a definite Howling sound from the front tire on applying the front brake. The more aggressive the braking the louder the howling.

This bike has the Dunlop Sportmax tires on it. The tires are great other than this. Anyone experiencing this? I assuming its some characteristic of the tire and not a problem with bike, since the bike handles great and the tires and suspension seem to perform normally... Comments anyone?

Thanks in advance
With sprinted riding and hard braking mine howls (I guess that’s how to describe it), too. This is with Dunlaps and Bridgestones. I believe it’s brake noise, and it’s apparently normal.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
It is brake noise. Mine does it and the two I test rode did it. I would call it something to do with caliper mounting on the fork and/or the fork structural shape resonating the pad/rotor slide vibrations. I have chalked it up to bike character and pay no attention to it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wouldn’t it be the braking system rather than the tire if it only occurs when braking?
Well.... no I think not. Brakes can have a high pitched squeeling sound or a grinding sound.... metal on metal.... this is definitely a howling. Sort of like the tire squirming a bit during hard deceleration. If a slowing gradually from lower speeds I don’t hear it. But if I do a fairly aggressive braking action from say 35 mph or more, then I really hear it

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Sounds to me like the bike wants to be driven and not slowed down or stopped. Just keep going and there won't be any howling. :wink2:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hello All:

.........….I get a definite Howling sound from the front tire on applying the front brake. The more aggressive the braking the louder the howling. ……..

Thanks in advance
My guess is the howling is caused by the brake pads passing over the holes in the drilled rotors. I haven't heard of other drilled rotors doing this. I've wondered if the holes would benefit from deeper countersinks.

Whatever it is, it appears to be normal, and has no effect I've noticed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a friend who mentioned to me that he switched to another brand of tires (Bridgestone, I think) because he thought the Dunlop 423s howled too much in the curves. Until he mentioned that to me, I had never paid attention to tire noise. But sure enough, if you listen for it, the Dunlops make a low-pitched howl when the bike is leaned over.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I have a friend who mentioned to me that he switched to another brand of tires (Bridgestone, I think) because he thought the Dunlop 423s howled too much in the curves. Until he mentioned that to me, I had never paid attention to tire noise. But sure enough, if you listen for it, the Dunlops make a low-pitched howl when the bike is leaned over.
That is a well known issue with many, if not most, tire models. On bikes with fairings and/or windscreens the noise is perceived as if from the front, but far more likely from the rear tire that cupped after even brief use. This brake pad on vented rotor noise we hear is from the front only so far as I can tell.

prs

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
19,254 Posts
This is the sound that a bike with ABS makes

Reactions: Kenichi

·
Registered
419 Posts
When going from a good pace and then to hard braking, it howls, but I think its the engine taking on the sudden stress. I can tell a difference to road noise to hard braking. The howling sound more engine/tranny related

·
Registered
181 Posts
My bike does it too. Brake sound. Nothing to do with the tires.
I believe it is simply a normal harmonic sound coming from the way the rotors are connected to the wheel.
Resonating like a tuning fork.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Both GWT's I test rode had the brake howl and so does mine. Personally I love the sound, the Wing is so quiet otherwise but I love the sound it makes when stopping aggressively.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Its not the front tire howling ....... It is the road crying at the tremendous breaking forces that are being applied....Just saying

1 - 20 of 23 Posts