GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I test rode a 2018 dct. My main complaints were the radio volume, quality of speakers, reception was spotty vs my 2012 level 3. Today I test drove the 2019 putting 75 miles on highway and back roads before jumping right back on my 2012 with 15,000 miles. My opinion:1. I don't know if it's the amp, speakers or what but the 2012 radio blows it away! Q. Does Anyone have a fix for 2018 system? 2. I think buffeting is a little less on the 2018 with shield part way up. I am 5'8". Q. Do others agree? 3. I think I enjoy the DCT in manual mode where I can control the shifting pending the road and situation I am riding in. 4. The 112 mph. has to go, not that you would use it much but its nice to have on tap if needed. 5. More air on legs and feet good for summer bad for cold weather. 6. I think i feel that the 2012 is a little smoother motor wise and vibe free. Q. Do others agree? 7. The ride and handling is superb compared to my stock 2012 suspension. 8. weight reduction is very good and you can feel it. 9. storage: less but my wife has a new spyder so won't be needing the extra storage although it's always nice. 10. I want to pull the trigger but i am hung up hard on this radio issue! I have a deal made on a dct demo with (no miles) other than what I put on today $22,800 in black and $12,000 for mine no prep! is this a deal???

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a 2018 dct , I use headsets so the radio is fine , but your right isn't the greatest while moving, I never owned another goldwing but I personally think this is the smoothest bike I've ever driven, size isn't an issue for me as I can adapt to the bike. Yes even the Navigation system isn't the greatest, however when you learn it and its routing issues it's workable( I use basecamp just remember no hard points) and it's fine.
As far as your deal I'd jump at it!
Good luck and enjoy!

Pbr

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
There are a bunch of settings to mess with. Set wrong and the radio WILL seem lousy. (or I guess, lousier, depending on perspective)

A few on here sprung for the accessory amp. Perhaps one will chime in.
It does take up more up the storage space.

PART# - 08A83-MKC-A00

POWER AMPLIFIER AND SPEAKER KIT
Includes high-output 4-channel 220-watt amplifier and four upgraded 55-watt four inch speakers. Specificially designed for your motorcycle to provide clean and crisp music for the ultimate audio experience on the open road. Requires Rear Speaker Attachment Kit for non-Tour Gold Wing models.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
I had two of the previous generation wings. The 18+ sound quality is about the same as the 01-17s. But the CarPlay blows the previous wings system away. External speakers & amp power is poor on all Goldwing model years

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Too bad Honda didn’t allow you to be able to blip the throttle on the DCT to make you feel bad a$$ with the loud music cranking. Chevy did it on the new 2020 corvettes with their 8 speed DCT. ..... just pull back on both shift paddles and both clutches disengage allowing your right foot to play the music.

But to stay on topic..... jump on that deal to get that new Goldwing. For no other reason than it allows you to have a newer bike than your wife.....

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Pull the trigger. youll never get more for your bike and the "nuisance" of the radio will pale in comparison to how well this thing runs, handles, stops, looks, etc...eventually theyll come out with speaker pods that will hold larger speakers, but if you wear a helmet, CARDO has the JBLs that come with their headsets. theyre superb to anything that will come out of your bike. youre playing speakers in a wide open environment, losing a lot of fidelity and clarity. just do it, you wont stop smiling.

·
Registered
420 Posts
2018 DCT Tour, sound needs adjusting as does most of the smaller stuff. I use Sena 20's and sound is great. I use Waze if I need a map...

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Last year I test rode a 2018 dct. My main complaints were the radio volume, quality of speakers, reception was spotty vs my 2012 level 3. Today I test drove the 2019 putting 75 miles on highway and back roads before jumping right back on my 2012 with 15,000 miles.

My opinion:
1. I don't know if it's the amp, speakers or what but the 2012 radio blows it away! Q. Does Anyone have a fix for 2018 system?
2. I think buffeting is a little less on the 2018 with shield part way up. I am 5'8". Q. Do others agree?
3. I think I enjoy the DCT in manual mode where I can control the shifting pending the road and situation I am riding in.
4. The 112 mph. has to go, not that you would use it much but its nice to have on tap if needed.
5. More air on legs and feet good for summer bad for cold weather.
6. I think i feel that the 2012 is a little smoother motor wise and vibe free. Q. Do others agree?
7. The ride and handling is superb compared to my stock 2012 suspension.
8. weight reduction is very good and you can feel it.
9. storage: less but my wife has a new spyder so won't be needing the extra storage although it's always nice.
10. I want to pull the trigger but i am hung up hard on this radio issue! I have a deal made on a dct demo with (no miles) other than what I put on today $22,800 in black and $12,000 for mine no prep! is this a deal???
I had to reformat that so I could read it. :)

Do others agree? Yes. Of course. There's always someone who agrees. Me being one.

I thought the stock stereo sucks arse. I messed with the Bass/Treble/Bass Boost settings and it really didn't help much. The upgrade amp and speakers might be a little better but I seriously doubt you'd get bang for the buck on that investment. My 2006 stereo is definitely much better. I agree with most of your observations. I have Progressive suspension on my 2006 - I didn't notice a huge mind-blowing improvement in ride - but I know stock GoldWing suspensions aren't that great out of the box anyway and can be hugely improved.

I went the other route and pulled the trigger on a new 2017. Overall I'll be much happier with that I believe. https://gl1800riders.com/forums/79-2012-goldwing-board/450659-got-2017-a.html

:grin2:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sounds like you've got the itch to spend a few bucks.
Even if you do, the previous poster saying no one wants to listen to your music is right.
No speakers in the open air sound really, really good at highway speeds, so as long as you have your wallet out, try this -
Go to Amazon or Ebay and order a BT-S2 helmet communicator. It's under $50. Set it up correctly inside your helmet so the speakers are by your ears, blue tooth it to your cell and listen to some music on Pandora.
You may never listen to the bike's radio again.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Sounds like you've got the itch to spend a few bucks.
Even if you do, the previous poster saying no one wants to listen to your music is right.
No speakers in the open air sound really, really good at highway speeds, so as long as you have your wallet out, try this -
Go to Amazon or Ebay and order a BT-S2 helmet communicator. It's under $50. Set it up correctly inside your helmet so the speakers are by your ears, blue tooth it to your cell and listen to some music on Pandora.
You may never listen to the bike's radio again.
Of course with a Bt headset, the bikes audio can also be listened to without using the speakers...
don't even have to have a 'smartphone'.

AM/FM/usb stick/mp3 player to 3.5mm aux/XM/etc etc

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
What I don't want to hear is neighbors dogs barking all the time. Yet, there are few neighborhoods where you don't have to put up with that.

When I'm out on the open road I like to blast my stereo. LOUD! And it bothers no one. I prefer the music coming from the speakers than being directly shot into my ears. So I like having the best possible sound setup - even though none will rival a high quality home system, I still want the best quality I can get. Nothing wrong with that.

Nobody asked whether anyone else was annoyed by loud music and nobody asked about using headsets. So keep the holier-than-though, high horse preaching to yourselves. :cus:

"LOUD, WANNA HEAR IT LOUD
RIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES
LOUD, WANNA HEAR IT LOUD
DON'T WANT NO COMPROMISE!"

>:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2019 1,000 mile update

2019 updates: 1,000 miles on the bike. I have been trying to figure out if its a vibration caused from the tire, road, or a characteristic of the bike not being as smooth a my previous wings with my latest being a 2012. I believe after a 1,000 miles on the 2019 bike that it's a characteristic of the new motor/frame/bars etc.... I tried all different speeds on cruise control in dct auto, tour mode.
At 40 mph. and below there is NO vibration in the grips that i can detect. At 45, 50,55,60,65, etc... on smooth roads there is a bar vibration in the grip that almost feels like it wants to oscillate very slightly. I had the dealer try it today, and he also felt it. Then I jumped directly onto my 2012 with bridgestone g704 and g709 and it was SMOOTH as butter NO vibes NO slight oscillating. Then I drove another 2019 tour model and it was the same feeling as my new 2019.
I also performed another test procedure by reaching into and grabbing the left and right upright portion of the bars and felt NO vibration. Then moving to the top left and right portion of the bars on the large metal part just before where the plastic perches are located and NO vibration what so ever! As soon as you move outward to both of the hand grips the vibration begins! I did a search and found where someone else here was experiencing the issue and the put Kury iso grips and bar end weights. This to me is an issue i'm not sure i can live with coming off of my other gl 1800 bike. I know that others here must be experiencing this issue please comment on same I want to hear how you fixed your issue. thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts