GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had on order a new bagger Wing black metallic 2020 manual but the dealer tells me they are shipping him a DCT version first.

He said I'm able to take this DCT out and ride it and I may decide I like it better.

What I'm thinking is I'll just go with the DCT.
One other dealer in the South Carolina area told me he sells 10:1 ratio of DCT to manual. He won't even order a manual for the show room.
That surprised me.
I'm thinking resell on a DCT is going to be better than a manual as more guys will want it as we move forward and it becomes mainstream.

Plus, two big things for me is the wife won't ride with me much but if the smoother shifting of a DCT transmission is going to make it more comfortable
for her than the standard I'm all for it and the second and main reason is that ever since I had Victory Highball with ape hangers I've had numbness
and other issues with my hands and fingers. I know it's not just from riding but the cold weather doesn't help and all the computer keyboarding and CAD drafting doesn't either. So, since I'm still working and need my hands and fingers perhaps I need to go DCT and take some stress off from the clutch lever and having to
be on point to shift with that left hand. I don't want to give up riding and I still have my Suzuki DR650 dual sport when I want to get into some clutch work and riding standing up on my pegs.

Thoughts from you riders on the DCT for making life better for aged hands, wrists and fingers?
I'm seeing my chiropractor for the numbness and tingling and it's really helping. If giving me many more years of comfort riding with cruise control, heated grips
and an automatic tranny will help I should do this.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Well,
Are you implying that if you got the automatic in the new Wing, your wife would possibly ride more due to the way you shifted your prior bikes? Is that saying you didn't do well with shifting? Just guessing here based on what you're saying. Second, your "Ape hangers" didn't help much in your issues with numbness and tingling. Have you ever been tested for Carpel Tunnel? I'm gonna assume so. Due to all kinds of reasons, I developed Carpel Tunnel in my right (throttle) hand and, even when we'd just take off from home, within oh, about 25-30 seconds, I'd have to hang my hand to relax it enough to get blood flow back to the fingers.

I put up with that for years, like an air head. I finally got tested for Carpel Tunnel and the doc said, OH YEAH you've got it bad. I had numbness, tingling and more stuff down or, up my arm. If I curled my fingers while sleeping, the pain would be so bad it woke me up. So, finally I scheduled the operation. What a bone head. That operation took about 15 minutes. I felt so good as they were rolling me out of the OR, I could have gone out and mowed the lawn. AND I HATE MOWING!

The point is, if, IF, you have CARPEL, don't screw around with it. Just get it done. If you don't have CARPEL and it's something else, well, you'll have to deal with whatever that is. The doc told me I'd probably not be able to ride the Wing for at least 6 weeks. Well, he was off by about 4. I could have easily controlled/throttled the Wing after two, with no pain what so ever. No numbness, tingling, troubles sleeping with my arm in weird position, NOTHING.

Others on here has said they took a loooooooooonnnnnnnngggggg time to recover from that surgery. Heck, I was doing stuff with that hand, within a day or so.

Anyway, back to the bike stuff. I don't know if I'd believe that dealer that tells you what ratio he sells bike. I don't believe ANYTHING from ANY dealer. Your choice on that one. Hope you fair well with both your hand thing and the new Wing.
Scott

Reactions: GL18002020Ken

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
At Wingding this past summer my wife and I demoed both manual and DCT model. We liked them both but when the time comes I believe I'll get a DCT.

It shifted ridiculously smooth and fast, very precise. It took me 5 min to get used to it. And I could still override it manually. Keep in mind - it's not like an "override" in a car where you press the "+" or "-" and it takes some time to shift up or down. On the Wing it shifts the second you touch that button. Cruising in 6th, double-tap that "-" button and the bike soars in 4th gear. It was rather impressive, even on a fairly short group demo ride.

Riders that ride for the thrill of shifting might stick with a manual. Riders that like to enjoy the views, scenic roads and a surrounding might prefer a DCT.

Since you will have a chance to ride it before buying, do it. And you'll know very soon is DCT for you or not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
I’m so used to manual I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around the DCT.
I almost never take my bike out of gear at a stop. Does the DCT do this?
Also if you were to rev the engine at all would it suddenly take off?
Not trying to hijack the post but perhaps the poster wonders some of the things I do about the DCT.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I vote you go with the DCT. I would not be surprised if Honda quite offering the manual option in the near future. As for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I had it in both hands a few years ago. While riding my then GL1500 one hand or sometimes both would go numb with the "pins and needles" feeling. I would just take my hand off the grip and kind of shake it out. One day while I was doing this I got to thinking, what if one or both hands were numb and I had make an emergency maneuver to avoid an accident and here I am unable to work the clutch and/or front brake lever? Got tested and confirmed, had the surgery and have had no problems since. Don't let it get in in trouble, DCT or not!

Reactions: GL18002020Ken

·
Registered
40 Posts
I respect either choice. If you ride in an urban area ( I don’t), then I could see the DCT as being a great option. For me personally, I believe the manual clutch is a safety feature. Additionally, I just prefer to be involved with the operation of the scoot. Either way, you’ll love the bike.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I doubt the DCT will make any difference for your passenger.
For you, just test drive a DCT and make a decision based on that experience.
It took me a 5 minutes ride to make that decision.
BTW try the walk mode which the manual version doesn't have!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I initially thought I would prefer DCT but did not. Here's my rationale:

The test ride was good, but like most riders, after many years riding with a clutch, I ghost shifted. I agree DCT may be better demand for resale, however I keep my bikes a long time and don't care about resale. DCT here is about $1400. option but the DCT and the manual here after 2 years have no price difference for similar mileage so that cost is lost, however for me initial cost was not a concern.

I usually ride one up because my GF will not ride no matter how smooth the shift. I think you should confer with your wife because she may not want to ride in any case and the shifting may be justification.

I keep reading that without shifting you can enjoy the view. What? Are you looking at your hands when shifting? Trying to rationalize my choice of DCT, I asked myself: in the last 50 years, when riding, how often did I think an automatic would be nice. The answer is twice. Once in 1970 my clutch cable broke and once I was stuck in traffic at 3 mph for almost 2 hours. I am not sure the DCT would help since I was more hot and frustrated than tired.

Although the maintenance of DCT is not difficult it does have 3 drain plugs and 2 filters.

I have an acquaintance who I have known for about 10 years who is Sales Manager for the largest Honda dealership here. When I spoke with him regarding the option, before I purchased, he mentioned a lot of customers initially loved the DCT, but a few months later were not as happy. I have no idea why he said that but interesting.

I went back for a second test ride and this time I looked for congested street traffic and stop lights. A weird thing happened. An idiot changed lanes right in front of me and I had to react quickly so I braked but I'm also used to clutch-in while emergency stopping so ghost shifted and thought what happened to my clutch? I am sure this is not a typical problem but after many years I may not break that habit in emergency stops. I decided I knew manual better, had no real reason to go DCT so that was my decision.

The $1400 went to 2 new HJC helmets, 2 Tourmaster armored riding jackets, Saddlemen saddlebag liners, Saddlemen tail bag, Vstream taller windshield, Honda cover.

G.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
You cannot go wrong with either. Buy the foot shifter for the DCT if you want the similar experience of foot shifting, I like that. Yes the shifting is smoother for your passenger, I Can vouch for that. Yes resale will be much easier with the DCT.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'm VERY happy not having to clutch anymore. If you're worried about resale when you haven't even bought the bike, I think you are worried about the wrong thing. Then again, my last Wing was 30 years old when I sold it, so resale is not even a consideration to me.

·
Registered
567 Posts
either will be fine, but, long term considering the issues you have stated, I would definitely go with the DCT.

click on my Signature pix. that little guy in my Toy Hauler is now my Rally bike.
It is CVT and equivalent to the DCT.
Took me about 5 minutes to quit looking for the clutch handle. It will make 70 mph and can keep up with the Goldwings on our Rally Rides just fine. No one even mentioned that it was impeding their fun.

I just love it to pieces. The 1800 is for longer rides now. the Piaggio MP3 scooter wins Hands Down for short trips for me, and tooling around campsites to find someone to gossip with.

·
Registered
744 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I got mine on Thursday DCT. I didn’t even test ride one. After an hour of riding it you will forget all about the clutch. It’s so smooth shifting and in the twisties downshift with toggle and never miss a beat. I really like it. View attachment 365658

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That is the color!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Get the manual. Any time manual is offered vs automatic, the manual will always win in reliability over the long run. I go to Walmart and once in a while use the restroom, and they have those automatic flush toilets. That saves me the horrible work of pulling down a flush lever, but trouble is they never work correctly. Same idea applies to the DCT.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Perhaps I am rationalizing my decision but to me clutch and shift IS part of the motorcycle experience that differentiates between active involvement and riding in a car. I never felt clutch and shifting was a chore. I thought clutch and shifting IS motorcycling. I am not sure, other than fascination with technology, why I would want that taken away.

I have one car that's automatic and one that is manual. Guess which one I want to drive recreationally.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I can’t wait to take my dct into the real twisties. It takes more than a ride around the block to get comfortable with the auto. A clutch was always part of riding a bike for last 50 yrs for me, but oh yea that’s all they made. For this touring bike that dances with curves the dct paddle shifters put you in control so much smoother than manual. It’s like windows vs dos when Windows first came out. Auto will out perform the clutch if speed is your thing. All I can say is I would buy it again but your choice is your choice. Test drive one for at least an hour because not only are you getting used to dct but the front end is amazing as well that requires muscle control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
16,680 Posts
This 2018 is my first DCT on cycle and I knew within a few seconds of demo ride that it was THE choice. I still ride manual bikes, but this new one is fantastic.

prs

·
Registered
467 Posts
PLEASE don't put APE hangers on your Goldwing and embarrass all GW rider's worldwide!!!!!!!
Just kidding, do what thou wilt.:unsure:

I'm in the process of buying a new 2018 GW, non-tour, with the DCT. I haven't ridden the bike yet but I did ride a new Africa Twin with the DCT and enjoyed it.

This will be my 4th GW if I get it as the Indian Springfield and the Harley Electra Glide are also calling my name:)

Sam

1 - 20 of 45 Posts