GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thank you Doug

I appreciate the link to the DCT TIPS. I'm reading now. I'll need some parking lot maneuvering practice before I head out and ride for sure. I'll miss the clutch lever for that friction zone but once I practice without it I'll be fine. I rode a Zero electric bike and it was similar in that throttle only and all control was foot brake and throttle. A much lighter bike mind you but still took me miles in Chicago before I figured out no clutch lever or foot shift required. : )
I've offered this DCT advice before:

Apply "light trailing rear brake" on the DCT in place of feathering the clutch during low speed maneuvering, (since you have no clutch lever).

On any big bike (manual transmission) with lots of toque at low maneuvering speed you always have your hand on the clutch ready to feather to arrest any acceleration due to an unintended application of throttle.

On the DCT with lots of torque at low maneuvering speed always have your foot on the rear brake. If you apply "light trailing rear brake" during low speed maneuvering this will arrest any acceleration due to an unintended application of throttle (similar to feathering a clutch).

My experience with the DCT at low maneuvering speeds is that the clutch is not fully engaged. In other words if you apply "light trailing rear brake" the clutch will slip and prevent the bike from lunging forward if you unintentionally apply too much throttle. This technique is particularly effective when pulling away from a stop where the bike can be a bit Torquey or the engine stumbles momentarily.

It takes some parking lot practice and learning new habits to make your DCT riding experience fun and as safe as possible. Once the use of "light trailing rear brake" at low speeds becomes your norm, you will become completely confident in the handling characteristics of the DCT.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Well, I had on order a new bagger Wing black metallic 2020 manual but the dealer tells me they are shipping him a DCT version first.

He said I'm able to take this DCT out and ride it and I may decide I like it better.

What I'm thinking is I'll just go with the DCT.
One other dealer in the South Carolina area told me he sells 10:1 ratio of DCT to manual. He won't even order a manual for the show room.
That surprised me.
I'm thinking resell on a DCT is going to be better than a manual as more guys will want it as we move forward and it becomes mainstream.

Plus, two big things for me is the wife won't ride with me much but if the smoother shifting of a DCT transmission is going to make it more comfortable
for her than the standard I'm all for it and the second and main reason is that ever since I had Victory Highball with ape hangers I've had numbness
and other issues with my hands and fingers. I know it's not just from riding but the cold weather doesn't help and all the computer keyboarding and CAD drafting doesn't either. So, since I'm still working and need my hands and fingers perhaps I need to go DCT and take some stress off from the clutch lever and having to
be on point to shift with that left hand. I don't want to give up riding and I still have my Suzuki DR650 dual sport when I want to get into some clutch work and riding standing up on my pegs.

Thoughts from you riders on the DCT for making life better for aged hands, wrists and fingers?
I'm seeing my chiropractor for the numbness and tingling and it's really helping. If giving me many more years of comfort riding with cruise control, heated grips
and an automatic tranny will help I should do this.
Without reading all the below posts, i am waiting for the 2022 model. I should have around 230,000 on my 08 by then. I haven't heard one complaint from the Manual shifter guys its been all DCT. If this continues i will special order the manual. Don't know if it acts up like the dct posts i have read. I will wait till i am ready to order before i make my final decision. Wish they would have a forum just for the new manual shifters.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Well, my new 2020 DCT Wing has arrive in the matte black metallic!

My wife and I took a special drive to go set on it on the dealers floor today and enjoy for a few moments.

I had requested a manual however after giving it a lot of thought I realized it's time to enjoy the DCT
and give my clutch hand a rest.
Plus the added walking speed and reverse on this model not included on the standard bagger in manual
is going to be nice.

All I need to do is clean up a nearly new 2020 DR650 and deliver it to the dealer on a pretty day and with the other two bikes I already traded in over a month ago, and one he sold already, I'll be in good shape to drive this off the floor.

But not in the rain. I need a sunny day.

So, one day soon on a pretty day I'll ride her and let you all know what I think.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
Without reading all the below posts, i am waiting for the 2022 model. I should have around 230,000 on my 08 by then. I haven't heard one complaint from the Manual shifter guys its been all DCT. If this continues i will special order the manual. Don't know if it acts up like the dct posts i have read. I will wait till i am ready to order before i make my final decision. Wish they would have a forum just for the new manual shifters.
The 6-speed is a very nice gear box...its the gear box wing riders have been asking for over the last 10 years on this forum...DCT aside..the 6 Speed is the best transmission ever put in a Gold Wing. I have no regrets getting the 6-speed.

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
I choose DCT because I have alreay had several manual bikes. I did not want to miss sampling the new thing. WOW, I am glad I did. This thing is great! I would not be unhappy with the manual, but I like to try stuff.

prs

41 - 45 of 45 Posts