GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Vendor
21,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At the press launch in Austin in 2018 we took the two Honda design engineers over to the bike and with my wife sitting on the back, we impressed upon them that the grab rails really needed to be changed, and we showed how she couldn't even reach them. They really listened to us, and indicated that they may make an accessory to replace them. When I saw the new handles on the 2020 model, I contacted them and asked if they could be retrofitted onto the 2018/19 bike. They informed me that yes, they can be retrofitted, but you'll need a new helmet holder release button, or else tie back the existing one. So this is good news, and I'm really glad to see them finally become available!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
At the press launch in Austin in 2018 we took the two Honda design engineers over to the bike and with my wife sitting on the back, we impressed upon them that the grab rails really needed to be changed, and we showed how she couldn't even reach them. They really listened to us, and indicated that they may make an accessory to replace them. When I saw the new handles on the 2020 model, I contacted them and asked if they could be retrofitted onto the 2018/19 bike. They informed me that yes, they can be retrofitted, but you'll need a new helmet holder release button, or else tie back the existing one. So this is good news, and I'm really glad to see them finally become available!
Sounds good......
Only one question, I wonder how much $$ for us 2018/19 owners to upgrade?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
The real question is will they be more than Max's $600 set... I can see Honda pricing them at $601. :surprise:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am still trying to understand why we need grab rails? I have been riding for 45 years and no one has ever fallen off the back of the bike ever when drunk. However, Traxxion Dynamics makes nice extended ones. Other than using them for tie downs there is little use for the ones on my GW. My only hope is that the honda engineers of sorts fix the Antennas and GPS systems, as well as improve the suspension for heavy riders. The total cargo weight on most bikes is about #400 lbs so they should consider that the standard in our obese society.

·
Vendor
21,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am still trying to understand why we need grab rails? I have been riding for 45 years and no one has ever fallen off the back of the bike ever when drunk. However, Traxxion Dynamics makes nice extended ones. Other than using them for tie downs there is little use for the ones on my GW. My only hope is that the honda engineers of sorts fix the Antennas and GPS systems, as well as improve the suspension for heavy riders. The total cargo weight on most bikes is about #400 lbs so they should consider that the standard in our obese society.

Maybe this video will explain it for you. Watch around the 1:10 second mark.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
In over 2 decades of riding as a passenger on my 88 GL15, my wife never used them to hold on while riding. In just over a year on the 2018, she has never mentioned them, one way or the other.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I agree with you for the most part, however there are times and circumstances. My wife's great grandkids all love for me to take them for a ride on my motorcycle. One of them is autistic and also has severe vision issues that make it seem as though the world is coming at him full speed ahead. He used to ride with me on my 03, but has refused on the 18 only because of the passenger grab handles. I think I would buy a set, just for him.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My wife always uses them when I start to ride "spirited", especially in corners. It makes her feel more secure. It's one of the first things she mentioned when we sat on one at the Minneapolis Motorcycle show when they were announced. She HATED the fact that the grab bars were useless for her. It's been one of hang-ups preventing me from purchasing one. I know, Max makes replacements, but $$$$! I am very happy with the change and hope they retrofit...and it sounds like they do. Anxiously awating more details on the suspension changes...hoping it's stiffer.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Fred if my wing ever left the road with my wife on the back like you guys did, I would have a BIG dent in my helmet from my wife’s fist!!! LOL!!:eek:4:

Nice video!!!:bow:

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I believe in the US on motorcycles passenger "handholds" are required in the passenger's position. That little leather strap you frequently see on sport bike's passenger's seat is not there for looks... it counts as a handhold, though you typically can't even get your hand under it. I think every bike designed to carry a passenger has something that counts as a handhold even though practically it may not work well.

There was a case in Texas were a family sued a motorcycle manufacture because of "inadequate" passenger handholds on a sport bike. The guy was going too fast and crashed, girlfriend went flying and died... they claimed if she had had adequate handholds she would had been able to "hold" on and not get killed... We all know that is BS, she would never had been able to "hold on" and it make a difference... that much energy no one is going to be able to hold on to anything...

If it's not a requirement, many bikes do have something as a hand hold... that little strap going across most motorcycle seats, that's what it's for.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts