GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Your call based on the attached picture. :wink2:

I may be considering the retrofit..... Not sure what I would do with the Baker handles I have now. They do look nice and they do not need a backwards and twisted arm and hand to put it on the center stand.

With only the OEM handles on the 2018, it did not matter that the bike was 100 lbs. lighter than my 2010, it was easier putting my 2010 on the center stand than the 2018. After I put the Baker handles on it, it became easier for the 2018, all because of being able to put some lift into the motion for not having a twisted up arm.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I see none of the 2020 models have the metallic passenger grab rails like the 2019 DCT Airbag......

I kind of like the way mine looks better than black, I will probably stick with what I have.
My wife doesn't have an issue with the current grab rails and I don't have any issues putting it on the center stand.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quick public service announcement for those who do not read the manual. It states that due to the heated seat element you shouldn’t tie anything down to the rear seat. That said I have tied a soft bag of cloths down. I would just be careful with crates, boxes, etc......Honda must have put that in the manual for a reason.....maybe, lol

·
Registered
421 Posts
I am still trying to understand why we need grab rails? I have been riding for 45 years and no one has ever fallen off the back of the bike ever when drunk. However, Traxxion Dynamics makes nice extended ones. Other than using them for tie downs there is little use for the ones on my GW. My only hope is that the honda engineers of sorts fix the Antennas and GPS systems, as well as improve the suspension for heavy riders. The total cargo weight on most bikes is about #400 lbs so they should consider that the standard in our obese society.
Looks like most if not all comments here so far are from 2018+ Goldwing Tour owners. I have the 2018 Goldwing Bagger and and can tell you from a passenger standpoint functional Grab Rails are a must in order to feel secure on a bike with this much power and torque.

I installed the Traxion Grab Rails and my Girlfriend loves them.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Looks like most if not all comments here so far are from 2018+ Goldwing Tour owners. I have the 2018 Goldwing Bagger and and can tell you from a passenger standpoint functional Grab Rails are a must in order to feel secure on a bike with this much power and torque.

I installed the Traxion Grab Rails and my Girlfriend loves them.
My wife uses them over bumps, and I use them when pushing the bike around. When pushing a top-heavy bike around I find a solid grip on the rear—the bike, not my wife—to be very useful, and I can’t get that with the stock grab rail. Oh yeah--forgot the biggest of all--for hoisting onto the center-stand (thanks, Goldwing-Tour!)

·
Registered
570 Posts
I am still trying to understand why we need grab rails? I have been riding for 45 years and no one has ever fallen off the back of the bike ever when drunk. However, Traxxion Dynamics makes nice extended ones. Other than using them for tie downs there is little use for the ones on my GW. My only hope is that the honda engineers of sorts fix the Antennas and GPS systems, as well as improve the suspension for heavy riders. The total cargo weight on most bikes is about #400 lbs so they should consider that the standard in our obese society.
For passenger to hold onto OR to have a tie down place for your duffle bag when touring OR a handle when putting your bike on center stand. :smile2:

·
Vendor
2,289 Posts
We actually have a version of our grab rails we call the "Solo Rail Kit" which are located pretty much exactly where Honda put the "new" ones.. they are useless for an adult passenger to hold onto, which is why we call them "Solo". They are just for solo riders to be able to strap gear down with, and to aid centerstand use. They do work OK with a young/small child.

For most adult women, they cannot fit their arms inside of the curves of the trunk to reach the grab rails. These new rails won't solve that basic problem. This was part of the process we went through to find the best location to put something for ladies to hold onto. They only way most women can fit on the bike is to put their arms around the outside of the trunk.

If you want a place for your wife to be able to actually hold onto, our Tour Rail Kit is the only functional option.

·
Registered
1 Posts
At the press launch in Austin in 2018 we took the two Honda design engineers over to the bike and with my wife sitting on the back, we impressed upon them that the grab rails really needed to be changed, and we showed how she couldn't even reach them. They really listened to us, and indicated that they may make an accessory to replace them. When I saw the new handles on the 2020 model, I contacted them and asked if they could be retrofitted onto the 2018/19 bike. They informed me that yes, they can be retrofitted, but you'll need a new helmet holder release button, or else tie back the existing one. So this is good news, and I'm really glad to see them finally become available!
At the press launch in Austin in 2018 we took the two Honda design engineers over to the bike and with my wife sitting on the back, we impressed upon them that the grab rails really needed to be changed, and we showed how she couldn't even reach them. They really listened to us, and indicated that they may make an accessory to replace them. When I saw the new handles on the 2020 model, I contacted them and asked if they could be retrofitted onto the 2018/19 bike. They informed me that yes, they can be retrofitted, but you'll need a new helmet holder release button, or else tie back the existing one. So this is good news, and I'm really glad to see them finally become available!
Has anyone found the newly designed Honda passenger grab rails for sale for a 2019 tour Gold Wing?

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
The only thing I use the grab rail for are to lift the bike onto the centerstand...my girlfriend doesnt have any use for the grab rails while riding.
I do find the 2018 a bit harder to put the bike on its centerstand or more accurately getting it off its centerstand...and no doubt the redesigned Honda grab rails and Traxxions grab rails would make getting the bike on and off its centerstand easier...but its still not worth the 200 dollars plus to fix that minor issue for me.

·
Registered
16,484 Posts
I have Max's rails for two up application. Placing on centerstand is a breeze, any gear tied down is very secure, the passenger says they are easy to use, but she does not use them and did not use them on the 2002 either. On Fred's jump, I don't think she would have awakened from her slumber. LOL If she pokes me in the ribs, it could mean a long walk back to civilization for her. :devilish:

prs

PS: My first time and one other time, I acquired nice deep bruises on my shins while mounting with Max's bars.

·
Registered
16,484 Posts
Just the right, sorry about the plaural faux-pas.

prs

·
Registered
69 Posts
I got mine from this site HERE They are genuine Honda and the price is based on the dollar/yen conversion of that particular day - when I ordered (3 days ago), they cost me $179 (including $34 shipping). It took 3 days from Japan to PA. They appear to be backordered at the moment, but this is the cheapest I've seen...by FAR.

·
Registered
18,555 Posts
Passenger Grip

By: HONDA

Part Number : 08R70MKCAF0ZA

(no customer reviews)

SAVE FOR LATER

Usual Price: 170.92 USD (18,000 yen)
Price: 145.63 USD (15,337 yen)
You Save:
25.29 USD (14%)
Earn Webike Point: 153pt (1%)

Shopping information

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quick public service announcement for those who do not read the manual. It states that due to the heated seat element you shouldn’t tie anything down to the rear seat. That said I have tied a soft bag of cloths down. I would just be careful with crates, boxes, etc......Honda must have put that in the manual for a reason.....maybe, lol
I had a heated seat on my '08 Wing and I've been known to strap 50 lb bags of dog food to it, not to mention you're carrying a passenger who most likely weighs more than that (notice how I tip-toed around guesstimating the passenger's weight?) I never had a problem - heat still worked when I traded it in last fall... Just sayin...

21 - 40 of 40 Posts