GL1800Riders Forums banner

81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Just saw this. I ordered a set from them yesterday and got an email saying they will ship tomorrow. Are they playing games with each of these orders?
Looks like.
I called Bike Bandit this morning to check on availability, they said they had them in stock.
So I ordered one.
Got an email from them about an hour ago, there is a nationwide backorder.
My backorder is only good for 25 days.
Hope they dont charge my card like Partzilla did.
What has happened to customer service?

·
Registered
1 Posts
All,
These new grab rails are indeed available now. I just purchased the set at "Cheap Cycle Parts"

cheapcycleparts.com

Part No. and pricing as follows:

Left Grab Rail 84110-MKC-AE0ZA $138.65
Right Grab Rail 84150-MKC-AE0ZA $101.72

Your total with tax and shipping will vary. My final tap for the set was $274.20

They look to be an improvement over stock and about half the cost of the aftermarket alternative.

Cheers,
Matt

Matt,

These are the 2020 grab rails and will fit my 2018 Goldwing Tour. I like the looks. Question: what did you do about the helmet lock which is built into the left OEM grab rail? Thanks.
- Mike

·
Registered
547 Posts
My backordered passenger grab bars arrived at my house yesterday. After I ordered, I got a phone call and an email from dealer requesting my VIN. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Count me as another "ex" Partzilla customer. Most reputable companies charge your card after the product ships. This organization tells you the product ships in two days, take your money immediately, then three days later tell you the product is actually backordered for three months. Customer asks for a refund and they say it will take 5 days. What a crock. They either have terrible systems, dishonest, or a little of both. Rant over.

·
Vendor
2,289 Posts
Hello Everyone,

It's no secret that the grab rails on the new Wing are considered useless by most owners. That's why we went to the trouble of developing such a nice kit.

The price has always been a sticking point with owners, but we've never sold a set that weren't loved by the co-riders.

As with anything Goldwing, when a cheap alternative comes out, the crowd cheers... but I have bad news for you. The "improved" rails will only be of benefit for SKINNY women. VERY SKINNY women. Honda failed to address the fundamental problem with the handles, which is, if your wife can't sit on the bike in her riding gear with her arms INSIDE of the shell of the trunk clamshell, then she will NOT be able to reach the handles. Period. Sorry.

What the new design will do is offer skinny women something they can wrap their hand around. That is a partial improvement. I'm sure they work great for 5'2" 105 pound Japanese women.

What they will not do, for ANYONE, is allow them to keep themselves off of the driver when the bike is being ridden aggressively or while stopping hard. The handles are still located forward of the passenger's body and that makes it impossible for them to function as a way to keep their weight from shifting forward into the rider. They will only work for skinny women to keep them from shifting from side to side.

Our first prototypes handle were placed exactly where the handles Honda put on the 2020 bike,are which is what our Solo kit looks like... nobody buys that kit, because it's not functional... thus the reason it's called Solo... it's aimed at solo riders who want to tie down gear, and rarely if ever have a passenger. We aren't even going to make those kits ever again, because there's no value for the owner.

All you have to do is sit on the 2020 bike and try and reach them and you'll know they are as useless as the 2018 models were. The handles need to be located where we put them much further outboard and backward so that the TYPICAL Wing passenger, dressed in gear, who cannot fit her arms inside the clamshell design of the trunk will be able hang her arms down the outside of the trunk and reach a handle that will allow her to hold onto the bike safely and keep her body weight off of the rider while stopping or riding in a "Sporty" fashion, which is a clear intent of the new bike.

We're so confident that your wife will prefer our handle kit that we're going to offer a 100% refund including shipping BOTH ways if she doesn't like them.

Regards,

Max McAllister

·
Registered
421 Posts
In 2018 when we test rode the new bikes (Tour and Non-Tour), my girlfriend commented that Honda must never have put a passenger on the back and asked for feedback before releasing the new model. On the Non-Tour she immediately realized the Passenger Grab Rails were useless. On the Tour model it was immediately apparent to her there was a lot less rear seat available to the passenger due to the rear trunk being placed so far forward. I should note that she is not a big woman.

So it's curious to me that Honda would modify the Goldwing Tour Grab Rails for 2020 and still it looks like they would be difficult at best for the average sized american passenger to access due to the shape of the rear trunk. Yet they don't put the new Grab Rails on the Non-Tour model where they would be easy to access and a significant passenger safety feature (more functional).

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
My wife rode on the back of my GL15 for decades. Those handles were easily accessible. I don't recall her EVER using the passenger handles to hold on during a panic stop or anything else. I find it hard to believe a passenger COULD hold on during a panic stop using ANY handles. Seems the deceleration forces would just be too great. Not to mention, the time it would take to reach for them and grab on...I just don't see it. But, to each their own.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
Hello Everyone,

It's no secret that the grab rails on the new Wing are considered useless by most owners. That's why we went to the trouble of developing such a nice kit.

The price has always been a sticking point with owners, but we've never sold a set that weren't loved by the co-riders.

As with anything Goldwing, when a cheap alternative comes out, the crowd cheers... but I have bad news for you. The "improved" rails will only be of benefit for SKINNY women. VERY SKINNY women. Honda failed to address the fundamental problem with the handles, which is, if your wife can't sit on the bike in her riding gear with her arms INSIDE of the shell of the trunk clamshell, then she will NOT be able to reach the handles. Period. Sorry.

What the new design will do is offer skinny women something they can wrap their hand around. That is a partial improvement. I'm sure they work great for 5'2" 105 pound Japanese women.

What they will not do, for ANYONE, is allow them to keep themselves off of the driver when the bike is being ridden aggressively or while stopping hard. The handles are still located forward of the passenger's body and that makes it impossible for them to function as a way to keep their weight from shifting forward into the rider. They will only work for skinny women to keep them from shifting from side to side.

Our first prototypes handle were placed exactly where the handles Honda put on the 2020 bike,are which is what our Solo kit looks like... nobody buys that kit, because it's not functional... thus the reason it's called Solo... it's aimed at solo riders who want to tie down gear, and rarely if ever have a passenger. We aren't even going to make those kits ever again, because there's no value for the owner.

All you have to do is sit on the 2020 bike and try and reach them and you'll know they are as useless as the 2018 models were. The handles need to be located where we put them much further outboard and backward so that the TYPICAL Wing passenger, dressed in gear, who cannot fit her arms inside the clamshell design of the trunk will be able hang her arms down the outside of the trunk and reach a handle that will allow her to hold onto the bike safely and keep her body weight off of the rider while stopping or riding in a "Sporty" fashion, which is a clear intent of the new bike.

We're so confident that your wife will prefer our handle kit that we're going to offer a 100% refund including shipping BOTH ways if she doesn't like them.

Regards,

Max McAllister
Max, have you posted a YouTUbe showing the revised Honda P-handles yet? I really like the set I got from you and my passenger is prone to ride all day with hands on her iPhone insead of handles. But, I use them to EFFORTLESSLY center stand the 2018.

prs

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Ive always told my wife to press firmly against my mid back if she is sliding forward in a sudden stop. It seems to me grabbing down at her waist is going to send her helmet directly into the back of my head.....

·
Vendor
2,289 Posts
Max, have you posted a YouTUbe showing the revised Honda P-handles yet? I really like the set I got from you and my passenger is prone to ride all day with hands on her iPhone insead of handles. But, I use them to EFFORTLESSLY center stand the 2018.

prs
I'm not going to buy them. They are located pretty much right where our Solo Kit handles are... which as I said, are pretty much useless, and we won't be making them going forward, as there is almost no demand for them. We'll continue to make the short riser because it looks and works fantastic on the Standard models, and also Ironbutt guys have bought them to mount a gas tank.

·
Vendor
2,289 Posts
In 2018 when we test rode the new bikes (Tour and Non-Tour), my girlfriend commented that Honda must never have put a passenger on the back and asked for feedback before releasing the new model. On the Non-Tour she immediately realized the Passenger Grab Rails were useless. On the Tour model it was immediately apparent to her there was a lot less rear seat available to the passenger due to the rear trunk being placed so far forward. I should note that she is not a big woman.

So it's curious to me that Honda would modify the Goldwing Tour Grab Rails for 2020 and still it looks like they would be difficult at best for the average sized american passenger to access due to the shape of the rear trunk. Yet they don't put the new Grab Rails on the Non-Tour model where they would be easy to access and a significant passenger safety feature (more functional).
The updated Honda handles would be a significant improvement for the Standard bike...Not sure why they are not there either.

·
Vendor
2,289 Posts
My wife rode on the back of my GL15 for decades. Those handles were easily accessible. I don't recall her EVER using the passenger handles to hold on during a panic stop or anything else. I find it hard to believe a passenger COULD hold on during a panic stop using ANY handles. Seems the deceleration forces would just be too great. Not to mention, the time it would take to reach for them and grab on...I just don't see it. But, to each their own.
It is entirely possible to use handles to keep yourself off the driver. I taught a class on it at my shop several years in a row during Wingstock. It's only a panic stop for riders and passengers who haven't trained and thus, panic. How to avoid panicking during an "Emergency Stop" is a skill that can be acquired.

None of the women who came to my class had any idea how hard a Goldwing could stop, and within three stops all had learned the basics of keeping their weight off the driver as much as possible.

Handles are a key element to doing that.

·
Vendor
2,289 Posts
Ive always told my wife to press firmly against my mid back if she is sliding forward in a sudden stop. It seems to me grabbing down at her waist is going to send her helmet directly into the back of my head.....
They need to be able to form a triangle, preferably with their hands somewhere behind their waist. There's no possible way to prevent the passenger from coming forward onto the driver unless they are prepared for an abrupt stop, but once the brakes are applied they can be taught to very very quickly pull their weight off of the driver.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Yea, the problem is that requires an attentive passenger regardless of what they grab. By the time they perceive that they need to react its too late, they are in your back. That is if you brake aggressively for a true emergency. Like an Oh Sxxx moment, a car turning left turn in front of you, and you had not already slowed down and began some form of breaking or lane change indicating something has changed. Again that would require a passenger who was attune to whats going on and not surfing the web.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I got a feeling Max is going to take a financial beating on these. I'm sure he invested quite a bit of time and money bringing these to market, judging by what he wants for a set. Now that Honda has corrected the grab rail problem with the 2020 Wing, and which for a little over $200 can be retrofitted to the 2018-19 model years, I'm going to guess the market for Max's $600+ grab rails has evaporated to next to nothing.
Absolutely !!!!!

·
Vendor
2,289 Posts
Absolutely !!!!!
So to correct a post fraught with inaccuracy....

Honda did not "correct" the problem with their grab rails. They still are of no use unless your wife is a tiny skinny woman.

They cannot be retrofitted for a little over $200.

In fact, nobody can retrofit them because they don't have any to sell.

Sales of our rails are just fine, and until Honda just doubles down and copies my rail's location exactly, we'll be selling our kit forever.... because they are the only ones that work.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I only need grab rails to tie sheet down. No one ever sits on the back of my bike as I don't wear deodorant :oops: so all the argument for/against/related to passenger comfort is irrelevant to me. I need tie-downs.

81 - 100 of 125 Posts