GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
August 7th and 8th (Friday and Saturday)

Camping at the Big River Resort in Wabasha Minnesota. https://www.bigriverresort.com/
Pizza 4:00PM Saturday at the Stone Barn near Nelson Wisconsin.
The resort has some rooms - they tend to go fast, so book early. I think most of us that had rooms for the 2019 gathering made them for 2020 when checking out.

Ron

·
Crazy Northerner
8,622 Posts
Looking forward to it. Because of my surgeries I missed last year.

·
IronMan
17,469 Posts
AUGUST ! ? THAT PIZZA BE HARD AS A ROCK BY THEN ! :wink2::smile2:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I plan to visit Big River Resort within the next week or so to see how things are going with the COVID-19 and such. I expect that things should be working pretty well by August 7th. Stone Barn should be ok - I'll check on that too. This thread needed a bump. :)

Ron

·
Crazy Northerner
8,622 Posts
I sure am hoping so Ron. Thanks for checking for us.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a nice chat with Elaine at Big River Resort today (May 28th). Things are going pretty well there despite the COVID-19 restrictions. They should be in even better shape by August.

RESERVATIONS: Some have confirmed their room reservations – if you haven’t, please do so. There are not a lot of rooms, so if you would like a room, please don’t wait. If you plan to camp, please let Big River know so they can plan accordingly.
(651-565-9932)

A bit of history for folks new to this gathering…
About 10 years ago (2010), someone on this forum got wind of a place where you could get wood fired pizza near Nelson Wisconsin – they thought it might be called the “Stone Barn”. It seemed worth checking out. One thing led to another and an RTE was planned for July 10th of that year. 2020 will be the 11th annual.

If you’ve never been to this one, you don’t know what you’re missing. In addition to fun times at the Big River campground and wood fired pizza at the Stone Barn, there are some great (twisty) roads in the area - on both sides of the river.

Other attractions include: In Wabasha - Slippery’s Bar and Grill (of Grumpy Old Men fame) and the National Eagle Center. In Nelson - J&J Barbeque (great ribs) and the Nelson Creamery - (hand dipped ice cream) in Nelson WI.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Need to check the calendar, we will be there if we aren't already booked. We would love to see everyone again, and Ron be sure to give the Mrs. a hug for me!!

·
Crazy Northerner
8,622 Posts
Wow Ron, it's been 11 years. I still remember that first year. Who knew it would have turned into this. Definitely a fun time with such great people.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
We're booked for sure! Spike just called and confirmed our reservations from last year.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Ramping up for the Stone Barn.

Spike and I have Friday off, so we'll try to bust outta here early to get some riding in.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Reactions: cycledude and murf

·
Love The DCT
11,810 Posts
Didn't make it Friday because of the rain in my neck of the woods. Took off yesterday, dodged some rainshowers on the way to JJ's. Ribs were awesome! Got there around 1100, place was empty. I was the only one in the dining room so I had the whole area to myself.

After JJ's, headed over to the resort. Chatted with those who weren't out riding. Cut the visit short as heavy weather was moving in on my route of travel. Made it home and storms hit 30 minutes later.

Hope ya'll had a good time and didn't get rained out for the Stone Barn Pizza.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
Yes I did see the very nice pictures from Spike and Walrus On Facebook.
How many riders made it to Stone Barn for Pizza ?
Corona and the crazy weather forecasts are about my only excuses for not making it this year, hopefully this Corona thing will be mostly resolved by next year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts