GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vendor
21,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got out and did a nice 150 mile ride today in the sunshine and got a better chance to test out the new firmware update. I noticed that now you don't have to wait for your headset to connect to the bike before plugging in your Iphone. You can also shut the bike off, and turn it back on later with the phone still plugged in, and car play works. So you no longer have to go through the girations of unplugging and replugging the phone back to in to get Car Play started. I'm glad to see Honda fixed this bug.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Funny, I had not noticed that I'm still waiting till the headset connects and then plug in the iPhone in. I'll have to observe this information you just provided when I go for my next ride.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
I got out and did a nice 150 mile ride today in the sunshine and got a better chance to test out the new firmware update. I noticed that now you don't have to wait for your headset to connect to the bike before plugging in your Iphone. You can also shut the bike off, and turn it back on later with the phone still plugged in, and car play works. So you no longer have to go through the girations of unplugging and replugging the phone back to in to get Car Play started. I'm glad to see Honda fixed this bug.
A little late on this fix. I just got a Samsung S20 for free on a 2 yrs contract with Sprint. Going back to the funky iPhone SE don't seem like a step up now. Then again, the connectivity of Sprint has been sketchy at times. I am not sure that a different phone would help that.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I did not experience that. If my headset wasn't paired, carplay didn't start. I'll try again. I've gotten in the habit of waiting but I thought I tried it after I did the firmware update... I'll test it again. Thanks

·
Vendor
21,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not experience that. If my headset wasn't paired, carplay didn't start. I'll try again. I've gotten in the habit of waiting but I thought I tried it after I did the firmware update... I'll test it again. Thanks
Carplay still won't start if your headset isn't paired. The difference is, that you don't have to wait until your headset is paired to plug in your phone. Now you can plug in the phone first, and then start the bike, and a few seconds after your headset auto-pairs, Car Play will come on.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I found out the same with mine. Car play will not start until headset is paired but I did not have to unplug and Re plug phone once the headset was paired. Car play started on its own.
Although I did have to re pair my headset after the update was complete. Had to dig out the Sena manual for that. After it was originally done I thought I was through until the update. Guess I should keep that manual handy for the next time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
Carplay still won't start if your headset isn't paired. The difference is, that you don't have to wait until your headset is paired to plug in your phone. Now you can plug in the phone first, and then start the bike, and a few seconds after your headset auto-pairs, Car Play will come on.
Ahhh.. I wasn't patient enough. Thanks!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks again Fred. I've verified it works as you state. I guess I can pull the USB switch out of my shelter box now! Reconnects nicely after the headset comes up without having to disconnect/reconnect the phone. That was a major nit for me. Glad to see Honda is listening and making changes that are positive to the user.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What is the latest update and how can I see which update I have. I'm still having problems with car play connecting.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
What is the latest update and how can I see which update I have. I'm still having problems with car play connecting.

Go to Audio settings on your bike. Scroll down to System information. Software version will be at the top of the list.
Most of us who bought new from the dealer received an email from Mother Honda with a link to this new update. There was also a hint that there would be another one coming in the next few months.
The directions for install are pretty clear and it takes about 30 minutes to complete.
You will have to re pair your headset after this update for car play to work properly.
Edit: I have also noticed that if car play fails to start after it had been previously running and you went ahead and listened to your music through IPod mode by default then you may need to go back into your settings menu and re select car play to get it to run automatically.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Funny thing I had the update installed soon after it came out. And it was operating just fine but, I also installed a Zumo XT of recent. Must have caused a conflict of some sort between Bluetooth connections. When I attempted to listen to music sourced from my USB stick in the left saddlebag I observed another "Headphone" display on the screen as well as the "Headphone1" displayed as well. When I tried listening through the headphones and use apple car play it froze up and made a sound like a stuck microphone. Only could resolve the issues by DC of the iPhone from the bike. I retried and used Pandora and it worked fine but then I heard the soundtracks from USB in the background-Wierd! I had not been drinking! Well, I then decided to play with the pillion audio control without a headset (using the speakers) and it allowed me to control the volume and fast forward on the USB all the while I could also hear Pandora. (Scratch head). Anyway, I pulled the USB from the connector and then I heard the sound like a stuck mic and again Apple car play froze up again.

I decided to reset the Apple car play settings in hopes of resolving the issue. Then when I went to the settings for Apple car play it would show "iPhone & iPod, naturally, I'm using the "iPhone" as the source. Well, it would resort back to the iPod repeatedly. Again, I reset the ACP and it appeared to sticky the "iPhone." Figuring the Sena SRL was maybe involved I reset factory setting/default. (No fun having to reinstall and set it up again!). And it was a gorgeous day to ride here in Florida-bummer! Here I am working with these hiccups. Finally, got everything up and running without issues. The only thing I did not try out is the Zumo XT and see if it was going to play well without conflicts with the Sena & ACP. That will be tomorrow's trial run. I had to go for a ride!

I also lost all my presets on SiriusXM that I programmed after the initial install of the latest Honda update (Sucks) I will do that tomorrow as well. Technology is a Love & Hate kind of thing! I just thought I would throw this into the mix in case someone experienced a similar issue(s).:confused:

·
Registered
70 Posts
south African bikes do not get navigation installed. (cause we live in the Bush with lions roaming around freely...).
Anyway will it do any harm if I attempt the update for the benefit of my CarPlay connectivity?
Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts