GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so We just got our 2018 DCT base with 1300 miles on it. I noticed it had 17.x.x.x.x software on it and the newest version was 19.x.x.x so I downloaded it and installed it. Before the upgrade, the shifting was a bit rough and Clunky is the best way to describe it, not the same as the 2020 demo I rode. All I can say is post 19.x.x.x.x software it now shifts like butter. Anyone else notice this? I saw the other software post but thought this was a bit different. I am glad it worked as Fred said if you do not have the old software do not install the new. I did not know that.

·
Registered
382 Posts
As far as I know the Honda software upgrade is only for the navigation system. There is no software upgrade to make the DCT 2018 models like the DCT 2020 which is mostly small hardware (and maybe firmware) changes. But the placebo effect is real, so I'm not suprised your 2018 now feels better ;)

·
Love The DCT
11,450 Posts
Ok so We just got our 2018 DCT base with 1300 miles on it. I noticed it had 17.x.x.x.x software on it and the newest version was 19.x.x.x so I downloaded it and installed it. Before the upgrade, the shifting was a bit rough and Clunky is the best way to describe it, not the same as the 2020 demo I rode. All I can say is post 19.x.x.x.x software it now shifts like butter. Anyone else notice this? I saw the other software post but thought this was a bit different. I am glad it worked as Fred said if you do not have the old software do not install the new. I did not know that.
The navigation updates have no effect on how the DCT shifts. Hardware and other changes to the 2020 DCT are not backward compatible to the 18 and 19 DCT models.

·
Vendor
21,574 Posts
The person I told not to load the new software if he didn't have the previous version was from South Africa with a totally different configuration of software. His bike doesn't even have a Nav system on it, and he wanted to load the US version of the update. I warned him not to do this if he didn't have the previous version for his bike, because it might not work, and he may need to roll back to the previous version. Folks in the US should not have to worry about this. However, it never hurts to save the previous version on your PC in case you ever need it.

I don't believe there are any changes to the shifting from the new software, since it doesn't write to the TCM or ECM.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Poor guy probably wishes he would have never posted this. Placebo effect!!! That was funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sounds like the DCT initialization got done somewhere in the mix.

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
You're not alone, Ray. It might be placebo-ism, but I just got back from a long ride after upgrading to the 2020 firmware, and my 2018 DCT is shifting much more smoothly.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
I noticed my android phone pair to my Sena much quicker after the software update.:sneaky:💅🚽

·
Registered
345 Posts
You're not alone, Ray. It might be placebo-ism, but I just got back from a long ride after upgrading to the 2020 firmware, and my 2018 DCT is shifting much more smoothly.
Nothing wrong with placebo-ism. Anything that makes the bike feel better is welcome. For me, new tires always makes any car or bike run, drive, and ride much, much better. That is why I always look forward to new tires. :)

·
Premium Member
2,081 Posts
Nothing wrong with placebo-ism. Anything that makes the bike feel better is welcome. For me, new tires always makes any car or bike run, drive, and ride much, much better. That is why I always look forward to new tires. :)
Yes, indeed, new shoes always feel good. Re whether it's real or placebo-ism. There's a third alternative: It might be that in the middle of all this real hardship things like not-perfectly-smooth shifting are beginning to seem less consequential.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Fred was talking about me, the south African. Yup we do not yet have the latest software. Our dealer tells me that our software is coming in a month or so with the Android auto update. Hope this is true.

I also spoke to someone else from Honda with regard to the 2020 dct boxes. he says honda has put in new bushings to dampen clicking sounds, but he has his doubts if the new bushings will last as long as the metal ones we have on our 2018/9 models.

anyone heard of the above?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have had this bike only a couple of weeks and it is for my wife. I was told that it could she said it does. I have not been allowed to get on it but 2 times. so I am not sure :)

·
Love The DCT
11,450 Posts
Fred was talking about me, the south African. Yup we do not yet have the latest software. Our dealer tells me that our software is coming in a month or so with the Android auto update. Hope this is true.

I also spoke to someone else from Honda with regard to the 2020 dct boxes. he says honda has put in new bushings to dampen clicking sounds, but he has his doubts if the new bushings will last as long as the metal ones we have on our 2018/9 models.

anyone heard of the above?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Haven't heard a thing about reduced longevity.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
The software update didn't do nothing for me, but the oil change to 20-50 Mobil 1 made my bike shift like a 2020 model. I never rode a 2020 model, but from what I hear on this forum, my 2019 is now shifting like a 2020. No really, seriously, really, I ain't lying, seriously, no, really...

·
Registered
232 Posts
... Damping material was added to the master arm which is supposed to reduce impact sound during gear changes.
I watched a review of the 2020 on Cruisemans Garage. He has a 2018 and took the exact same 2020 for a test. At one point he goes over a small bump at a reasonable speed and you can hear the front end bottom. He then plays it in slowmotion and a distinct thump. I asked if he rode the same area on his 2018 and he did: no thump. Maybe something was loose in the trunk or side cases but ...

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
I watched a review of the 2020 on Cruisemans Garage. He has a 2018 and took the exact same 2020 for a test. At one point he goes over a small bump at a reasonable speed and you can hear the front end bottom. He then plays it in slowmotion and a distinct thump. I asked if he rode the same area on his 2018 and he did: no thump. Maybe something was loose in the trunk or side cases but ...
The 2020 has the same shocks as the 2018..both models have soft springs and are under damped for that plush ride we all like.

I seen Cruiseman review of the 2020 and thought it was just a hard bump..his 2018 would had done the samething..but he didnt film his 2018 riding over the same bump at the same speed to really compare

1 - 20 of 26 Posts