GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

101 - 120 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
You got short-changed:

I have a post where I added a 3rd brake light below the carrier, and used a soldering iron to burn a small, tight hole through that rubber boot, for routing the wire:

Wow. Nice !!! For me ( a # 2 ) .................... a soldering iron. No BS. Don't even know what one LOOKS like, much less how to use it, etc. Route the wire ?? To where ?? ( NOT looking for an answer ) Again..... for me.............."burn a hole .... ? " Ummm.................. I don't think so.

Great job !!!!!!

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,272 Posts
Wow. Nice !!! For me ( a # 2 ) .................... a soldering iron. No BS. Don't even know what one LOOKS like, much less how to use it, etc. Route the wire ?? To where ?? ( NOT looking for an answer ) Again..... for me.............."burn a hole .... ? " Ummm.................. I don't think so.

Great job !!!!!!
It's a pretty sweet little rack (Honda factory clone - very well constructed, thick aluminum plate) with the rubber bushings (no drilling of plastic) for $140 - way cheaper than factory!

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
OK motogeeks....................# 2 here................check out this bad boy I just got for my 2018 DCT. See the way it fits into the seat.

Awesome.....I love mine, works so slick and holds a ton of stuff.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,272 Posts
Reactions: Ozone1

·
Registered
620 Posts
Wow, it's pretty sweet they actually increased the trunk size! It looks both wider and taller.

Still, not too many changes for 2021 all things considered. Certainly nothing to make me want to trade in my 2018. If they had some new colors I'd be more tempted. 😁

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,030 Posts
Wow, it's pretty sweet they actually increased the trunk size! It looks both wider and taller.

Still, not too many changes for 2021 all things considered. Certainly nothing to make me want to trade in my 2018. If they had some new colors I'd be more tempted. 😁
Not enough change and upgrades for me to trade either..but if this 2021 had another 30hp, I don't think I could stop myself from trading up.😁

·
Registered
11 Posts
Glad to see these upgrades but would REALLY like to see (1) a blue color and (2) an option to add a center brake light on the trunk like the spoilers on 01-18 models. I think that's a huge safety improvement.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Glad to see these upgrades but would REALLY like to see (1) a blue color and (2) an option to add a center brake light on the trunk like the spoilers on 01-18 models. I think that's a huge safety improvement.
I read somewhere that there would be a new option of an “integrated brake light” for the new 2021 model, I am also very much looking forward to this

·
Registered
149 Posts
I never was obsessed with having to put 2 helmets in the top case. Other than when I ride my BMW GTL where a hemet fits in the side case, I have always put my helmet on the seat when I stop on the road, or, just take them with me. I normally put enough stuff in my top case that a helmet would never fit no matter what they do. Would like more space but not for helmets.

Chuck

·
Registered
19,408 Posts
I disagree. The 2021 has more single year changes than any previous current model

·
Registered
71 Posts
I read somewhere that there would be a new option of an “integrated brake light” for the new 2021 model, I am also very much looking forward to this View attachment 377736
Accessories for the 2021 model can now be checked under the “Build” section of the powersports site.
Unfortunately, the “integrated brake light“ is similar as before : integrated with the rack, no indications of a stand-alone third brake light :

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not a Goldwing owner yet, just an interested observer..... Re the cutouts for the trunk rack on the new 2021 Wings, I think it is a great idea having the cutouts pre-drilled in the top case cover. If you ever worked in a dealership you would appreciate it even more. There is nothing worse than going through all the effort to install a luggage rack only to find out your template moved or some other mishap and now the rack is off kilter. If it's off a little bit you generally have some adjustability, but if it's off a lot it means order a new top case cover. With pre-drilled holes all that is eliminated. Besides, I never actually put anything on the top case rack. I install them simply to keep people from leaning on the top of the box and scratching the paint.

I really don't get the incessant complaining about storage space from this group. It's a motorcycle, not a car or a truck. Pack right and go light, it's that simple. If you do your homework on packing for a trip you should easily be able to make the 2021 Goldwing work for you on a trip. Obviously few of you ever took a long trip on a naked bike. Admit it, many of you are spoiled by having the old Goldwing that you could pack the kitchen sink if you wanted to. Quite honestly that is what turned me off from owning a Goldwing in the past. It was nothing short of a tank rolling down the road hence why the name "Wingabago" was earned. I like what Honda has done with the Goldwing, but I am not real happy they are already starting to make it bigger. Sounds to me like they are chasing that same old dog again....

I owned a 2015 BMW K1600 GTL and it was metallic black. It was a bike I got a good deal on, but I didn't think I would like the color. None-the-less I bought it and it turned out to be my most favorite color ever. It was stunning in sunlight. If Honda has the right amount of metal flake in their black paint I can surmise it will look gorgeous. I am not a big fan of a blacked out drivetrain, but that's the way it comes and that's what you get. I really think some of you Goldwing people are giving Honda the short end of the stick. While it would be nice to have more color options, truth is with Covid and all, you are lucky to see any color changes. My only disappointment with the Goldwing is that it doesn't have adaptive cruise control this year. That is a shame.

Rick H.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Not a Goldwing owner yet, just an interested observer..... Re the cutouts for the trunk rack on the new 2021 Wings, I think it is a great idea having the cutouts pre-drilled in the top case cover. If you ever worked in a dealership you would appreciate it even more. There is nothing worse than going through all the effort to install a luggage rack only to find out your template moved or some other mishap and now the rack is off kilter. If it's off a little bit you generally have some adjustability, but if it's off a lot it means order a new top case cover. With pre-drilled holes all that is eliminated. Besides, I never actually put anything on the top case rack. I install them simply to keep people from leaning on the top of the box and scratching the paint.

I really don't get the incessant complaining about storage space from this group. It's a motorcycle, not a car or a truck. Pack right and go light, it's that simple. If you do your homework on packing for a trip you should easily be able to make the 2021 Goldwing work for you on a trip. Obviously few of you ever took a long trip on a naked bike. Admit it, many of you are spoiled by having the old Goldwing that you could pack the kitchen sink if you wanted to. Quite honestly that is what turned me off from owning a Goldwing in the past. It was nothing short of a tank rolling down the road hence why the name "Wingabago" was earned. I like what Honda has done with the Goldwing, but I am not real happy they are already starting to make it bigger. Sounds to me like they are chasing that same old dog again....

I owned a 2015 BMW K1600 GTL and it was metallic black. It was a bike I got a good deal on, but I didn't think I would like the color. None-the-less I bought it and it turned out to be my most favorite color ever. It was stunning in sunlight. If Honda has the right amount of metal flake in their black paint I can surmise it will look gorgeous. I am not a big fan of a blacked out drivetrain, but that's the way it comes and that's what you get. I really think some of you Goldwing people are giving Honda the short end of the stick. While it would be nice to have more color options, truth is with Covid and all, you are lucky to see any color changes. My only disappointment with the Goldwing is that it doesn't have adaptive cruise control this year. That is a shame.

Rick H.
I never go anywhere without my kitchen sink.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Great to hear the seat is wider and softer. Not sure about the suede material however.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I don't like the new trunk look.......looks out of place IMHO, just too large for the streamlined flow of the slimmed down Goldwing.
Never had a need for a larger trunk than what came with my 2019.......also never in owning 5 Goldwings have I had the need to put any helmets in the trunk anyways.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don’t know if anyone looked into the cost of putt the 2021 trunk on 18-20 tour models. I stopped pricing when it got over $2000. And that wasn’t everything needed. The Corbin trunklid is the way I’m going to go. Just under $900 delivered. I have the saddlebag doors and they are great. I’m surprised Honda didn’t increase the saddlebag doors.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
I don’t know if anyone looked into the cost of putt the 2021 trunk on 18-20 tour models. I stopped pricing when it got over $2000. And that wasn’t everything needed. The Corbin trunklid is the way I’m going to go. Just under $900 delivered. I have the saddlebag doors and they are great. I’m surprised Honda didn’t increase the saddlebag doors.
How much are the Corbin saddlebag doors?

101 - 120 of 163 Posts