GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
A shame that didn't increase the fuel capacity.
I get tons more miles out of the 2018 compared to the older bikes.
I hate the new top box, its way out of proportion compared to the earlier bikes.
I think they painted it black to hide its ugliness.
The suede seat would be problematic too, especially when wet.
My 2018 is a keeper for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
I hate the new top box, its way out of proportion compared to the earlier bikes.
I appreciate that Gen 6 gets better gas mileage, but an additional gallon of that better gas mileage would be welcome.

·
Registered
2021 DCT Tour
25 Posts
I think they painted it black to hide its ugliness.
The suede seat would be problematic too, especially when wet.
My 2018 is a keeper for sure.
I checked out the suede “look” seat today. It’s not suede at all, it’s vinyl that looks like suede. Seems very durable.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I checked out the suede “look” seat today. It’s not suede at all, it’s vinyl that looks like suede. Seems very durable.
Sure looks like something other than vinyl to me??
You can see the “fuzzies” in the below shot?

·
Registered
2021 DCT Tour
25 Posts
It does but it’s not. Once you touch it you realize it looks like fuzzies but does not feel like them. I could never imagine Honda would put real suede on a bike that’s used for touring that will be getting wet all the time.

From Motorcycle.com:
The passenger seat’s backrest now has a more relaxed angle, thicker foam and a taller profile to keep your passenger even happier. The seat gets a new faux suede cover with an enhanced appearance, along with colored seat piping for added color contrast.

·
Registered
2021 Goldwing Tour
16 Posts
From what I have read, the seat material is Alcantara used in cars and boats to give seats the feel of suede but extremely durable. You can look it up.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
It does but it’s not. Once you touch it you realize it looks like fuzzies but does not feel like them. I could never imagine Honda would put real suede on a bike that’s used for touring that will be getting wet all the time.

From Motorcycle.com:
The passenger seat’s backrest now has a more relaxed angle, thicker foam and a taller profile to keep your passenger even happier. The seat gets a new faux suede cover with an enhanced appearance, along with colored seat piping for added color contrast.
Cool, thanks......
Sure looks like it from pictures, good fake job. ;)

Unless they change the inner padding/foam, it's still going to be mighty uncomfortable for the long haul for many riders.
There's a lot more to comfortable touring seat than looks....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cool, thanks......
Sure looks like it from pictures, good fake job. ;)

Unless they change the inner padding/foam, it's still going to be mighty uncomfortable for the long haul for many riders.
There's a lot more to comfortable touring seat than looks....
The author of the reveal video
had following feedback on this subject : “the seat felt a little softer to press down on it“, when comparing a 2021 model against a 2019 model.
I do hope that the padding is indeed modified as such towards improved comfort ! Looking forward to test reviews on this.

·
Registered
2021 DCT Tour
25 Posts
From what I have read, the seat material is Alcantara used in cars and boats to give seats the feel of suede but extremely durable. You can look it up.
I have alcantara in my car. Definitely not that. I guess we will know for sure soon.

·
Registered
2021 DCT Tour
25 Posts
I have alcantara in my car. Definitely not that. I guess we will know for sure soon.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Alcantara is a fragile synthetic material. Frequently used on the steering wheel of higher end sports cars. Alcantara unfortunately collects perspiration and oil fron the driver's hands, which compresses the fabric, turning it from a soft, fluffy faux suede to a nasty, hard feel. I highly doubt the 2021 Wing uses Alcantara for the saddle. It's not durable.

Tim

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,272 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is interesting now. Did Honda listen? Yep! They listened to the deafening silence of sales and discounted prices! I guess all that matters, is they did something. My guess is they are hoping the larger trunk will be enough, and they are hoping they won't have to enlarge the saddlebags (soon anyway). Assuming they are much more gas efficient as they claim, they won't have to increase the gas tank. This may be enough to get Honda over the hump? What I have to see now, is the actual price they'll be expecting to get! If Honda gets stupid with the price, then I'll still be out. If the price is close, with all these improvements, I could start considering it, or wait to see if they do increase saddlebag capacity. Overall I'm glad Honda got the message. I wonder if that trunk will "easily" attach to the 2018/2019 ?

121 - 140 of 163 Posts