GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

141 - 160 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
It has the same range as previous Wings, so...
That is what they say. I wonder if it's true and how you have to ride to accomplish that. Maybe it's true! I doubt many of us have complained about too much fuel capacity. But I'm happy with the improvements. I'm not yet sure if I'm happy enough to buy one yet. I think the price it's selling for, will decide that for me.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,272 Posts
That is what they say. I wonder if it's true and how you have to ride to accomplish that. Maybe it's true! I doubt many of us have complained about too much fuel capacity. But I'm happy with the improvements. I'm not yet sure if I'm happy enough to buy one yet. I think the price it's selling for, will decide that for me.
Well, don't know anyone who's stated otherwise. Mileage is a solid 20% more than the previous versions, and with 20% less fuel - that means about the same range. I ride with a guy who has a 2003 - and he typically needs to stop for fuel before I do. And he sets the pace usually...

You're going to get the same range - just with less fuel. Modern electronics, updated gearing (having more gears helps) and fuel management systems, and better aerodynamics really help when it comes to mileage.

Reactions: rmw700

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Well, don't know anyone who's stated otherwise. Mileage is a solid 20% more than the previous versions, and with 20% less fuel - that means about the same range. I ride with a guy who has a 2003 - and he typically needs to stop for fuel before I do. And he sets the pace usually...

You're going to get the same range - just with less fuel. Modern electronics, updated gearing (having more gears helps) and fuel management systems, and better aerodynamics really help when it comes to mileage.
But how wonderful to get the better better mileage with more gas capacity. Why should the same range be the standard? Why not even more range?

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
But how wonderful to get the better better mileage with more gas capacity. Why should the same range be the standard? Why not even more range?
Honda designers wanted to save weight, kudos to them for doing it.
Gas capacity is a non issue for me.
I get 50 MPG most tanks. :)

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Honda designers wanted to save weight, kudos to them for doing it.
Gas capacity is a non issue for me.
I get 50 MPG most tanks. :)
With a larger tank, anyone who wanted to carry less weight had the choice to not fill the tank.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
True, but highly unlikely to happen.
Best of both worlds though. One guy gets his lighter motorcycle, the other guy gets his extended range. Personally I hate stopping for gas. If there were a practical way to do it, I'd have a 40-gallon tank.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Weight and size. If you can get 250 to 280 from a tank, not bad!
With a larger tank, anyone who wanted to carry less weight had the choice to not fill the tank.
But you do have the larger tank, and space that will take - and the larger bodywork to go around it.

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Weight and size. If you can get 250 to 280 from a tank, not bad!

But you do have the larger tank, and space that will take - and the larger bodywork to go around it.
And after 100 RTEs, the larger body to go around it.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
And after 100 RTEs, the larger body to go around it.
It took me nearly 4 decades to achieve the shape I'm in. I'm not about to toss that aside with a few hours of careless exercise and diet!

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
It took me nearly 4 decades to achieve the shape I'm in. I'm not about to toss that aside with a few hours of careless exercise and diet!
Dieting and exercising will extend your life three years, which you'll spend dieting and exercising.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Dieting and exercising will extend your life three years, which you'll spend dieting and exercising.
So the penalty for gaining 3 more years is 3 years of Hell?

😈😈😈

Reactions: gkarasik

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Just sayin...
Kind of like putting 10 M&M's in front of a kid........then saying......
"If you only eat 5 you won't get fat".......not a kid alive that won't eat all 10 of them.

I don't think many Goldwing owners will only put 5.5 gallons of fuel in a 6.5 gallon tank.........we're all just big kids ya know. 😄

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Just sayin...
Kind of like putting 10 M&M's in front of a kid........then saying......
"If you only eat 5 you won't get fat".......not a kid alive that won't eat all 10 of them.

I don't think many Goldwing owners will only put 5.5 gallons of fuel in a 6.5 gallon tank.........we're all just big kids ya know. 😄
True. I was merely trying to point out--obliquely, I admit--that part of Honda's weight-loss plan for the Goldwing involved a little trompe l'oeil--simply reducing the amount of gas it will carry. Via that method, Honda could have trimmed even more weight by supplying only one saddlebag, one mirror, and one turn signal, then saying the Goldwing was now an additional 15lbs lighter. (A standard LiOn battery would lose 10lbs more.) Reducing weight by reducing gas capacity--gas weighs 6.3lbs/gallon--isn't as immediately obvious as leaving off a saddlebag, but it requires no slick engineering or exotic, expensive, lightweight components; just lop something off.That's like lopping off someone's arm and saying, "He's lost weight." Now I'm not about to write a letter to Honda demanding they add gas capacity--it's not that big a deal to me--but IMO to achieve a target weight reduction they took a couple of easy ways out that deprived the Goldwing of useful functionality and, more significantly to Honda, Goldwing sales, if the fact that they've now enlarged the trunk is any indication. It wouldn't surprise me to find that in a year or two they offer a larger fuel tank and larger saddlebags.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
True. I was merely trying to point out--obliquely, I admit--that part of Honda's weight-loss plan for the Goldwing involved a little trompe l'oeil--simply reducing the amount of gas it will carry. Via that method, Honda could have trimmed even more weight by supplying only one saddlebag, one mirror, and one turn signal, then saying the Goldwing was now an additional 15lbs lighter. (A standard LiOn battery would lose 10lbs more.) Reducing weight by reducing gas capacity--gas weighs 6.3lbs/gallon--isn't as immediately obvious as leaving off a saddlebag but it requires no slick engineering or exotic, expensive, lightweight components; just lop something off.That's like lopping off someone's arm and saying, "He's lost weight." Now I'm not about to write a letter to Honda demanding they add gas capacity--it's not that big a deal to me--but IMO to achieve a target weight reduction they took a couple of easy ways out that deprived the Goldwing of useful functionality and, more significantly to Honda, Goldwing sales, if the fact that they've now enlarged the trunk is any indication. It wouldn't surprise me to find that in a year or two they offer a larger fuel tank and larger saddlebags.
Just kidding and giving you a bad time....... ;)

We're on the same page here, they did a lot for weight reduction on the 2018+ (Engine, frame, ISG, etc.) but the idea of saving weight by reducing the size of the tank is, well, just plain stupid.
With the increased fuel mileage on this bike, wouldn't it have been even more amazing to have the old fuel capacity coupled with the increased MPG's and have a REAL touring bike that can live up to it's name?

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Just kidding and giving you a bad time....... ;)

We're on the same page here, they did a lot for weight reduction on the 2018+ (Engine, frame, ISG, etc.) but the idea of saving weight by reducing the size of the tank is, well, just plain stupid.
With the increased fuel mileage on this bike, wouldn't it have been even more amazing to have the old fuel capacity coupled with the increased MPG's and have a REAL touring bike that can live up to it's name?
You said it much better than I did.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a 2018 DCT Standard with similar covers on the rear shelter for mounting a rear luggage rack. When you remove the covers this exposes the underlying metal support structure designed to take the load of the rack. You actually drill holes in the covers, snap the covers back in place and install rack mounting bolts through the holes.

I had seen isolated reports of 18 thru 20 rear case top covers cracking around drilled luggage rack mounting holes (the plastic top cover takes all the load). Seeing the removable covers on the 2021 top case leads me to believe that Honda has provided a durable (probably metal) underlying support structure to bolt a rack to if you choose.
Probably other than Honda racks. The Honda racks mounting legs pass through the outer painted lid and mount to the inner trunk liner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
True. I was merely trying to point out--obliquely, I admit--that part of Honda's weight-loss plan for the Goldwing involved a little trompe l'oeil--simply reducing the amount of gas it will carry. Via that method, Honda could have trimmed even more weight by supplying only one saddlebag, one mirror, and one turn signal, then saying the Goldwing was now an additional 15lbs lighter. (A standard LiOn battery would lose 10lbs more.) Reducing weight by reducing gas capacity--gas weighs 6.3lbs/gallon--isn't as immediately obvious as leaving off a saddlebag, but it requires no slick engineering or exotic, expensive, lightweight components; just lop something off.That's like lopping off someone's arm and saying, "He's lost weight." Now I'm not about to write a letter to Honda demanding they add gas capacity--it's not that big a deal to me--but IMO to achieve a target weight reduction they took a couple of easy ways out that deprived the Goldwing of useful functionality and, more significantly to Honda, Goldwing sales, if the fact that they've now enlarged the trunk is any indication. It wouldn't surprise me to find that in a year or two they offer a larger fuel tank and larger saddlebags.
Cutting a saddle bag off would have reduced capacity.

Cutting a gallon of gas - while increasing fuel economy by 20% - didn't change any capacity at all (same or longer range).

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Cutting a saddle bag off would have reduced capacity.

Cutting a gallon of gas - while increasing fuel economy by 20% - didn't change any capacity at all (same or longer range).
Reducing capacity wasn't a problem for them. They had already reduced capacity. Lopping off a saddlebag would merely reduce capacity more but would shave another chunk of weight which was clearly their priority, even at the expense of compromising the motorcycle's touring chops. True, the resulting motorcycle would look lop-sided; OTOH, it would make lane-splitting easier. Subject for poll: Would it be better to lop off the left saddlebag or the right? I think the left, because the asymmetry would be less visible with the motorcycle leaning on the sidestand. For the humor-challenged, we're kidding about all this.

On the serious side: Tens of thousands of forum members have posted hundreds of thousands of messages, among which I've not seen a post complaining about the pre-2018 Goldwing's excessive storage or range and subsequently spending money to mount smaller bags and a smaller gas tank. In search of a potential audience at the expense of an existing audience, Honda opted to sportify the Goldwing by reducing its weight (and, unfortunately, its touring chops). That this hasn't worked to Honda's satisfaction, that they've failed to achieve their sales targets, is evidenced by their adding storage capacity back to the 2021. I predict that within a year or two they'll increase fuel capacity. I'm less sure they'll increase sidebag size, but I'm confident they're considering it.

141 - 160 of 163 Posts