GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2022 non-tour
84 Posts
There was a new one parked in front of the dealership 3 years ago but when I asked about it was told it was actually used with 170 miles. He said I could have it for $2,700 so I said ok load it in my truck then paid them $2,785 and took it home thinking it could be nice to take along when my friend and I go truck camping. Here it is with her posing on it, no she didn't ride like that! :)

But long story short I quickly determined that my XT250 did everything the Monkey could do only better (other than look cute) so after riding it only 150 miles myself I traded it back to them a few months later. It didn't ride that well on bad roads and on smooth roads I didn't like the idea going wide open, 30-40 mph, up hills with cars and trucks right on my tail.

· Registered
2022 non-tour
84 Posts
Fire Up I agree with you 100%
Yes I got 55 or so on mine wide open on level but 45 or so seemed to be the high speed sweet spot on level or down hills w/o wringing its guts out. I often found myself both down shifting and wringing its guts out on grades, and even still dropped to 30 mph, LOL sometimes with Bubba behind in his F250 wanting me to hurry up. On the fuel injected XT250 add 20 mph to the speeds referenced above, so 75, 65, and 50 respectively, which just makes for a more enjoyable and safer riding experience for me given where I ride. In hind sight I shouldn't have bought it but fortunately they gave me $2,700 back for it so I was only out the $85 doc and the heavier rear springs I put on.
But those little bikes (Monkey and Grom) can be a good option depending on what you want to do with them. As mentioned they fit a full size person surprisingly well and they're fun. In my mind they're perfect somewhere flat or rolling with a lot of 25-45 mph, nicely paved streets. Also ideal to toss in the back of your truck.

The two at the dealer here are 23's and yesterday I was comparing their updated motors with the 22 Trail parked right beside the. I really like the fact they added an oil filter and 5th gear. The longer stroke is supposed to give a smidge more torque too. But those plaid seats!:oops:

· Registered
2022 non-tour
84 Posts
Yeah pretty cool thanks, I'd seen the video of Zach and the other rider riding Trails to Prudhoe Bay but not the other video.
Have you given thought to a Trail rather than a Monkey? I imagine the next batch will be 2023's with the updated motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts