GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Better to hang a GPS on your handlebar, Stock Navi GPS is cumbersome to use, to say the least.
Could not agree more. Honda apparently spent all its money on engineering instead of navigation. My Garmin Zumo XT updates constantly. Road (and house) construction in Florida is booming beyond insanity, yet the Garmin maps are essentially updated "as built." GPS navigation has never been easier.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
My biggest complaint is searching for addresses.
I tried several times, for hours, to search for my sons house.
No matter what order of input, it would never work.
No joy.
He's been living there 4 years. lol
It's definitely not perfect. I know of no GPS that is. Sometimes it won't even find small towns...it didn't find "Clark, WY" by name. I should have tried by zip code, but didn't think of it. Good thing I knew where I was going. Funny thing is HTP has no problem, but the bike's nav database is limited.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
It's definitely not perfect. I know of no GPS that is. Sometimes it won't even find small towns...it didn't find "Clark, WY" by name. I should have tried by zip code, but didn't think of it. Good thing I knew where I was going. Funny thing is HTP has no problem, but the bike's nav database is limited.
The Clark in McDowell County, or Harrison County? I have run oil & gas (mineral) titles in both.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Has anyone tried the Replacement of the Honda Maps with updated maps from their Garmin Device? I remember hearing about this done on the previous models wings.. :unsure:
Garmin did not make the software for the 2018+, it is a Harmon-Kardin unit.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Let us know where to "send a note". If enough of us start complaining, maybe mother Honda might give priority to a yearly update to customers who have purchased their product.
I sent the original question through the AHM website and the reply came from AHM Power Sports CR <[email protected]>

Here is the Automated response I got …

This is an automated response.

Dear Jim Marshall,

Thank you for contacting American Honda Motor Co., Inc. We know how important your time is and will do our best to respond to you as quickly as possible. We appreciate your patience.

You may also reach us by phone at 1-866-784-1870. Our business hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm PST. We are closed on holidays.

We strongly encourage customers to visit Honda Recalls - Honda Powersports to check their VIN for any potential recalls. If your vehicle is affected, please visit an authorized HondaPowersports dealer as soon as possible. All safety recall repairs are made FREE of charge.

Sincerely,
Powersports Customer Support
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
1-866-784-1870
@RideRedSupport

For quick answers to commonly asked questions, visit: FAQ - Honda Powersports

For your reference, Case #12950407 has been created.

Topic: Product
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Marshall
Email Address: [email protected]
Zip Code: 53037
Phone: 14145596664
VIN:
Vehicle Mileage:
Description: 2018 Goldwing Tourer DCT. When will a software/map update be available? The last update was issued in August of 2020.

https://powersports.honda.com/privacy-policy

and then I got this response fron customer service …

Dear Jim Marshall,
Thank you for submitting your web form to American Honda Powersports Customer Relations. At this time, a future update not been fully disclosed. You can sign up for email alerts on our HondaPowersports page in order to receive updates.

Sincerely,
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Powersports Customer Relations
Case # 12950407

Attention: If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the message and notify the sender. Thank you for your cooperation.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Harmon Kardin also has the contract to supply Harley with GPS units. Friends in my riding group ride GPS equipped Harleys and their maps are updated with 2022 dated maps so there must be a disconnect between Honda and whoever is supplying the maps...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Bottom line is Honda LIED. Imagine that:sneaky:
In a way I'm elated they lied. Think of it this way. Honda might possibly give you substandard crappy updates that are worthless at best, or you could own a Ford product and have to pay $150 for their garbage updates. No point in sweating it when you have Waze and Google on your phone or simply buy a stand alone GPS and be done with it.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
In a way I'm elated they lied. Think of it this way. Honda might possibly give you substandard crappy updates that are worthless at best, or you could own a Ford product and have to pay $150 for their garbage updates. No point in sweating it when you have Waze and Google on your phone or simply buy a stand alone GPS and be done with it.
I agree, but wish they would have forgot about the GPS altogether........why have it if it's not supported?
It's wasted real estate & development cost that could be used for many other useful features.......
Digital speed readout
Voltmeter
etc.

Reactions: Crabballs

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I agree, but wish they would have forgot about the GPS altogether........why have it if it's not supported?
It's wasted real estate & development cost that could be used for many other useful features.......
Digital speed readout
Voltmeter
etc.
Could not agree more. Also add to that list:

Better (and brighter) back-end illumination
Lock for "glove box"
Engineered channel to route wiring for add-on accessories
etc

·
Registered
2022 DCT Non-Touring
171 Posts
Digital speed readout
Voltmeter
etc.
My '17 HD Road Glide Special had exactly one map update in the five years I owned it. I did update it, at a cost of $125. See, that bike didn't have Carplay or Android Auto. At least we have options on these bikes.

I rarely need Carplay for anything. The Honda GPS is good for 99% of what I need in a GPS. It's far from worthless.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,823 Posts
Honda could upgrade the firmware like with the last update...I'm glad there is a built in navi...besides AA and AC integration with the phone was the main intent with the Navi with this bike.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Suzuki had a great idea years ago. I'm talking about the CARS they sold here in the states. On the dash there was a 'cover' that snaped off and there was a space for a GPS, 5" I think it was - maybe 6", AND a power supply. If you wanted a GPS you bought the one of your choice, did the very simple looking install and you were set. That made the cost about only 10% of what the factory units were.
Would be an ideal way for bike mfg'ers to reduce cost & give the customer more, and better, choices.

JMHO

21 - 40 of 67 Posts