GL1800Riders Forums banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
It doesn't matter.
Well, actually it does matter. You wanted to update the bike GPS with the maps etc from your portable garmin GPS. Can't update a Harmon-Kardin with Garmin.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Far more effective would be writing campaign to "Letters to the Editor" or the various motorcycemagazines mentioning the lax attention Honda of Japan has toward this issue. "HONDA, THE POWER OF DREAMS", we dream of a decent nav system, we challenge you!

prs
Magazines are still a thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Drgsin

·
Registered
17,721 Posts

Smart arsed andwer: Sure, I have numerous magazines for each of my pisols. Real answer: Far and few, but niche publicatons are still popualr. FIrst reaction: Same thought crossed my mind when I suggested that.

prs

·
Registered
572 Posts
I am on a trip right now the wife has a Garmin on her bike I am using the Honda nav on mine. So far they have been in sync turn for turn for over 2,000 miles. The Honda nav works fine for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Harmon Kardin also has the contract to supply Harley with GPS units. Friends in my riding group ride GPS equipped Harleys and their maps are updated with 2022 dated maps so there must be a disconnect between Honda and whoever is supplying the maps...
I was not impressed with the HD GPS on my Roadglide. Honda GPS s much much better.......IMO. I'll live with the 2020 update.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Has anyone tried the Replacement of the Honda Maps with updated maps from their Garmin Device? I remember hearing about this done on the previous models wings.. :unsure:
That’s what I ended up doing with my 2013. There’s a hack that works on at least 2013-2017 model years. I update mine regularly but the whole Honda nav system is still crap.

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 Navi/Audio/Comfort
7 Posts
So will we ever see an update to the GPS map data?

When I bought a 2021 Tour, I was told that map updates would be "free" for 10 years.

Still running on 2020 maps..... The COVID excuse is getting old.

Any rumors on an update?
I only use my 2022 wing's GPS to see where I am. I use my phone for mapping so updates on the Honda system, which is probably supplied by their vendor, doesn't really matter to me. When I bought my extended warranty I was told that the GPS and radio systems weren't covered...probably because their suppliers won't agree to that

·
Registered
27 Posts

When I bought a 2021 Tour, I was told that map updates would be "free" for 10 years.

Any rumors on an update?
My 2013 Wing updates have to be purchased but the latest they have is a 2019 and I refuse to pay for a outdated one time update as Garmin has updates every few months. I had a 2020 and a 2021 tour and I greatly disliked the new gps. Garmin’s the best so why not stick with them? I’ve also got a 2009 beemer which has a factory Garmin and you pay $89 for lifetime updates you can run anytime you feel like and stay current. And Honda can’t figure this out?????

·
Registered
27 Posts
Meh. I don't recall being told about free map updates for 10 years. Maybe because it's been 4 years. Regardless, it wouldn't have been a selling point to me. I love my 2018 Tour DCT. And I use the heck out of the nav system.
Put a Garmin Drive Smart 65 on the handlebars for around $250. Lifetime updates. It’s a 1000 times better than the factory 2018 and up junk.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Put a Garmin Drive Smart 65 on the handlebars for around $250. Lifetime updates. It’s a 1000 times better than the factory 2018 and up junk.
I have no need for an additional GPS. As I stated, I use the heck out of the factory nav and do fine.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,281 Posts
Who's lifetime? I don't know about your unit, but often when a manufacturer offers a "lifetime warranty," it means the lifetime of that particular model of that particular product, and by the lifetime of that particular model of that particular product they mean the length of time that particular product is in production, which is usually a couple of years. There's a reason they provide haystacks of fine print; it's easier to lose the needle.

Reactions: Roadie

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,281 Posts
I thought I read somewhere, though I can't find it now--so maybe that was an acid flashback--that Harmon Kardon had stopped producing maps for the GPSs and that Honda was trying to figure out what to do and hoping the whole problem would get lost.

Edit: I just found this. I don't vouch for its authenticity. It may be correct or not, but it's not the first time I've seen this same report:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I though I read somewhere, though I can't find it now--so maybe that was an acid flashback--that Harmon Kardon had stopped producing maps for the GPSs and that Honda was trying to figure out what to do and hoping the whole problem would get lost.
That is a rumor, that seems to have started here. Samsung still owns the part of HK that does the GPS stuff, as they did when Honda used them to make our GPS.

Not excusing the lack of updates, but the cause isn't that...it seems to be unknown at this point.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,823 Posts
I thought I read somewhere, though I can't find it now--so maybe that was an acid flashback--that Harmon Kardon had stopped producing maps for the GPSs and that Honda was trying to figure out what to do and hoping the whole problem would get lost.

Edit: I just found this. I don't vouch for its authenticity. It may be correct or not, but it's not the first time I've seen this same report:
The link you posted is from 2010

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,281 Posts
The link you posted is from 2010
Yes, thanks. I did know that. It's the only link I could find on a quick search. As I said, I don't know that this is in fact happening. I know only that there hasn't been an update. I should point out that Honda is able to update the firmware without updating the GPS. The GPS portion of the update can stay the same.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Any rumors on an update?
Have you owned a Honda vehicle of any kind in the past? Map updates is not a priority for them. Same for Audi.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts