GL1800Riders Forums banner
101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Honda produces motorcycles they try to make likable. Harley produces motorcycle you either like or don't. They're both great versions of what they are.
Like they said in 1965 ( ? ) "you meet the nicest ( likable ) people on a Hionda." True story............... 34 years old looking for my first ever bike.................didn't know ANYTHING although my father had many bikes.....................all I 'knew' was the name 'Harley.' Went to the only Harley dealer around ( Reggie Pink in White Plains NY ) ................... they were neanderthals..............I was asking the most rudimentary questions you can imagine.....................their entire attitude was basically "do you want to buy a bike or what ?" ......................WITH attitude.

Next brand that came to mind was Honda. They were humans at the Honda dealer. Bought my first Honda the next day. Shadow 600. I've had ONE Harley in my life and ...........8 Hondas ( ? )

Neanderthals at this particular Harley dealer. Humans at the Honda Dealer. True.................... Reggie Pink is out of business. Honda of Mamaroneck ( NY ) is still there.

# 2

·
Registered
902 Posts
Exactly. I saw the red on my '21 and I was like, right then, gotta have it!!! This was the pic I got from my dealer that sealed the deal. I've wanted a candy apple red bike since my "guess I can tolerate that" blue on my '05 FJR days.

View attachment 392235
Beautiful scooter,, no wonder you bit the hook... congratulations! Why doesn't Honda get this? I've got plenty of scratch to buy a new GL1800, but here's what keeps my money, MY money, and not Honda's. My '08 Airbag is superb and I don't want to take any steps backward when spending $30k for a new bike. We had something like SIX interesting color choices when we considered buying an '08. The airbag was not a priority when we bought it; it just was part of the level 4 options. Now I'm sold on it and would not take a step backwards in safety b/c Honda won't fit them onto manual tranny bikes. Putting it the other way, I won't give up manual transmissions and what is reputed to be the best one out there, b/c I want to retain the safety feature YOU Honda sold us on. Crazy.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,825 Posts
If you would only had ear plugs in it is totally different.
I did have ear plugs..since I get ear plugs of all kinds at work, I always have ear plugs on my bike..that Bell modular helmet looked beautiful...but was simply the loudest helmet I ever rode with on the interstate and was louder than a open face helmet...really turned me off with the modular helmet. I only wear a quiet full face after that experience.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,825 Posts
Fake news!

SHOEI NEOTEC 2 MODULAR

is not loud
Fake news really...read the helmet reviews..the 700 dollar Shoei Neotec and a few other high end modulars do a good job with noise..but most modular helmets are not as quiet as the quietest full face...not to mention they are not as light and don't meet Snell.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,875 Posts
I did have ear plugs..since I get ear plugs of all kinds at work, I always have ear plugs on my bike..that Bell modular helmet looked beautiful...but was simply the loudest helmet I ever rode with on the interstate and was louder than a open face helmet...really turned me off with the modular helmet. I only wear a quiet full face after that experience.
When I last shopped for helmets (modulars), I borrowed about 20 different models from local dealers and Cycle Gear. Instrumented my ears, and went for a standard ride (hey, I'm an acoustics engineer, it's what I do with everything).

The AGVs and Bells were the LOUDEST. Strong whistling at the joint. Schuberth C3 Pro was the quietest, with HJC RPHA-MAX in second place. I bought the C3 Pro and have been happy ever since.

The Schuberth also measured quieter than the Arai and Shoei full-face units I tested (just a dB or two quieter, which is not really audible, more of a "test results say moar better" level). Schuberth just got the aerodynamics right for me (2XL, built like a defensive end), on my bike (CTX700 at the time). With my IEMs in on my Gold Wing, with the windshield fully up (non-Tour stock screen), I have a measured 62 dBA noise level at 75 MPH. Not too shabby!

It was not the modular that did you bad - it was a bad modular that did you bad.

·
Registered
2021 GL1800B
15 Posts
I liked the Shuberth. Very comfortable but did not play well with my glasses. I went with the HJC RPHA 90s. I'm very happy with it. There are a lot of things to take into consideration with a helmet.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm the eternal optimist. I was hoping the 2022 Wing would have ACC, and minimally some very minor tweaks ("improvements") to the electronic suspension, DCT programmitng, increasing the width of the panniers a hair, and for gawd's sake, changing the GPS's screen colours and contrast, in addition to some new, knock-my-socks-colours.

But as my pessimist friends like to remind me, optimists are always wrong.

It looks like in Canada, the lovely blue is available only in the airbag variant.

But examining Honda Canada's 2022 Wing photo gallery closely, it appears the saddle cover is back to the 'normal' vinyl, and not the faux suede used on the 2021s.

I'm impulsive and was thinking of trading my perfectly good '19 DCT Tour in for a '22 IF there had been an eye popping colour and either ACC or enlarged panniers, but nope. No deal.

Tim
I read that for Canada, only dismal black is available as the colour "choice" ! I am not interested in spending more than for a new Honda Accord to get a 1990's navigation system either.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I read that for Canada, only dismal black is available as the colour "choice" ! I am not interested in spending more than for a new Honda Accord to get a 1990's navigation system either.
Honda Canada shows white, black (not their official Honda name colours), Jeans Mat Blue and blue as available colours for 2022, depending on the specific Gold Wing variant.

Tim

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Ok i have a question for discussion. Most people from Texas bought their new 2018 in Arkansas or Tennessee, both are high volume dealers. It appears they got from 2 to 3 thousand dollars cheaper than other dealerships. I am from San Antonio, Texas and would prefer a dealership closer and in Texas that would give the same discount on a new 2022 model. Any thoughts. I love the 2 tone blue manuel tour model. Just wondering what it would cost.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ok i have a question for discussion. Most people from Texas bought their new 2018 in Arkansas or Tennessee, both are high volume dealers. It appears they got from 2 to 3 thousand dollars cheaper than other dealerships. I am from San Antonio, Texas and would prefer a dealership closer and in Texas that would give the same discount on a new 2022 model. Any thoughts. I love the 2 tone blue manuel tour model. Just wondering what it would cost.
Good Luck with Texas Stealers as I trucked mine in back in March from Nevada (2019 New DCT non-tour 20K)

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Since it appears that even those previously deep discount dealers have been selling at MSRP for about a year now, good luck finding a $2k-$3k discount anywhere.
It’s all about supply and demand.
Until Honda starts manufacturing and shipping more product than dealers have buyers for, why would dealers need to give any discounts?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
You'll more than likely be paying MSRP for the foreseeable future.....at any dealership across the USA.
I think the days of warehouses full of Goldwings with deep discounts offered are over forever.........I bet they limit production to keep things more in check than previously.
Can't be much profit left on Goldwings with $4 - 5K discounts, like with the 2018 model excess.

JMHO...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Since it appears that even those previously deep discount dealers have been selling at MSRP for about a year now, good luck finding a $2k-$3k discount anywhere.
It’s all about supply and demand.
Until Honda starts manufacturing and shipping more product than dealers have buyers for, why would dealers need to give any discounts?
I got $2600 off this Labor day. I doubt any dealers would be discounting the '22's now, but guaranteed they'll be deals just a few months later for the reasons you stated.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour
15 Posts
I picked up this beauty and traded in my 12 a few weeks ago. I shopped about 7 dealers and negotiated the difference, I didn't care how they tweaked their numbers. Some lowballed my trade but had a 2k discount off list, others fair trade and 1k off msrp. Final dealer, which was also the closest, couldn't come off list, but gave me 1k more on trade than anyone else so basically the differences were close across the 3 top dealers. I would recommend Honda of Michigan City (Michigan City, IN) as the experience was great and the pricing, especially in this inflated market, was fair.

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

101 - 120 of 135 Posts