GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to venture into a 205/55 with runflat

Any advice?

Best grip? Winter models better grip? MOST ROUNDED SHAPE?
tricks to install/squeeze into the wheel well? Mounting from behind or under? Best place to buy?

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
PM sent... Also tie the inter left fender back (15min) that way you can
install any 205 if you're on the road and do have a problem..... :yes1:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Hey Nando,I know the other sizes you've tried in both the MT (70 series) and CT (195/175's)
It seems you change your mind faster than Trialsman changes brands.. LOL

What ya think the 205 will do that the others haven't??
I'm curious that's all..:shrug:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nobody is THAT fast!!

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rocky,
One of the things that interests me about the 205/55 is the diameter. The 195 seems actually a bit lower (I am guessing here), or at least as low at the OE Metz....Have you ever ridden a 70? It is the sweetest engine feel a Wingabego can produce--its like the bike makes sense.

You know that one thing I appreciate about the 70 OE is the diameter: synchronizes the rpm/gear. In agreement with you, it is the one thing I did not like about the 175--too short.

I am just experimenting for the fun...or, I may be looking for a life :doorag::joke:

I have been scared poopless about shoving a 205 in the wheel-well...However, TJ has given me a little confidence that I too can do it.

Just being compared with Trialsman is an honor!!! :bow:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Rocky,
One of the things that interests me about the 205/55 is the diameter. The 195 seems actually a bit lower (I am guessing here), or at least as low at the OE Metz....Have you ever ridden a 70? It is the sweetest engine feel a Wingabego can produce--its like the bike makes sense.

You know that one thing I appreciate about the 70 OE is the diameter: synchronizes the rpm/gear. In agreement with you, it is the one thing I did not like about the 175--too short.

I am just experimenting for the fun...or, I may be looking for a life :doorag::joke:

I have been scared poopless about shoving a 205 in the wheel-well...However, TJ has given me a little confidence that I too can do it.

Just being compared with Trialsman is an honor!!! :bow:
A few have been running the 205 and haven't had any complaints..
Here is a good tire calculator if you don't already have it? http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

The Trialsman thing was tongue in cheek,That boy in hunting for a 195/65 now,so much for the holy grail 175..:wrong:

I am quite happy with the 195/55 I am now on my 7 th tire and quite frankly I'm so used to this size now,that I see no need to experiment anymore with what works.
Ya I'd like to try out a Dunny wintersport (saw one on Wingwing's bike) and the Kumho looks good,But alas I've been had in the past with what works for one,don't work well or long for the Rock..LOL

No I haven't tried a 70 either,I've never been concerned with a few less rpm's,(Most don't care for how the 70 handles,just a few do?)

I also don't care about a correct speedo.In fact I have a Dakota Digital box that a friend gave me to try out (he hears a noise at certain rpm's?) But I haven't installed it yet-Hell I'm always speeding anyways,and the law has Radar guns to let me know when I am..:eek:4:

S

·
0 Posts
The 195x55 Kumho I was running threw the speedo off 10% which I did not like plus being a tall guy I didn't like how low it sat.

205x60 put's the speedo spot on 100% but I had to add 1/2" to the center stand so the tire comes off the floor, this is nice for cleaning and that once every three years changing.

I also noticed while I run 26psi on the 205x60 I run 38psi on the 175x60 which I have on my STealth11. So pressure does require some trial and error.
I never go by feel as the mind plays tricks. I set the pressure by wetting a spot on the driveway and coast through it then view the pattern. Ideally it should be about 98% of the tread width.

Other than that I think brands seem to be just brands as I see none that really stick out as bad or better. I go for cheapest in most cases.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Rocky,
I was not the one who called the 175 the "Holy Grail". I did and do like it alot.:yes1:

I'm not looking for a 195-65, I just said that size in a RF would be nice.:rolleyes:

I admit that I like experimenting and looking for ways to make things better, especially if it's for my big red girlfriend.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GOAL:
This safari for me is all about diameter. Unfortunately, specs on those tire calculator, and even specs on brand web sites may be off.

The tire calculator I got from Stick has the 205/55 at 25.2 and the one that Rocky just sent me has it at 24.8.

I know the discrepancies on tire specs from experience. I tested three different tires, mounted on rims and inflated...each was off from the specs I obtained at brand websites.

PLEAD:
So if anyone would like to volunteer diameter measurements on mounted 205/55...it would greatly appreciated...please include brand/model.

THEORY
It seems to me those smaller diameter tires (including OE cemental, except the Cobra) cause a strain on the engine because the rpm is higher than it needs to be for the torque provided by the gear. This dynamics are particularly salient during top-flight slabs...anything over 65mph.

Its like if you were to drive your stickshift truck and stay on a gear too long; overwhining the gear too much before you shift. No one who knows how to drive would do that to their combustion engine...Honda has provided these circumstance for us through the Holy revelation of the immaculate engineers--put a 60 on the rear: the wrong gear ratio, make the bike too high: for the 70 that promotes the right gear ratio.

WHINE:
A note of irony: the worry about using nonOEM tires in order to maintain warranty compliance. I think the design of the bike/tire recommended by manufacturer posits greater maintanance risks, more wear and tear, than 'SOME' of the tires being used by the rebel forces.

What do I know, I was just called an "ignorant jackass" by the Reverend Stu of St. Goldwing of Holy Honda...I am just a useless heretic consumer...how dare I question the mother of all bikes...? :doorag:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Nando wrote; cause a strain on the engine because the rpm is higher than it needs to be for the torque provided by the gear.

You are talking about two to three hundred RPM between a 60 and 70 series tire. What Strain would that be?

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be honest with you, I do not have an absolutely accurate rpm difference on different tires. I am also not sure on the odometer offset by the smaller tires.

You gotta do a 70 to get it.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Been there, done that. Maybe in all the different tires you have used, you should take notes as far as RPM vs. Speed. A GPS unit mounted or taped to the bike to collect info.

I have just taken off an E3 70 series, and put an new Pirelli back on. There is about a three hundred RPM difference. Believe me, you are not going to burn up an engine running running 3000 vs. 2700 RPM.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CLAMPER,

Thanks for the numbers on that...I always wondered the exact off-set. I tried several times to check with the speedometer/tach but either forget or can't really tell.

Don't you feel it though? It is quite a different feel to run on a 70 than a 195 or an OEMer...the shifting timing, the cruising feel, the torque off the line...the sound of the engine seems more 'at ease' with the load. Maybe I ran too many 'strokers' in my younger days...days before these high rev engines...when you actually had to listen to the engine in order to shift properly...maybe I drive my bike like a trucker...I do downshift like one...its not easy to do with a Wingabego, but if you can down shift to a lower gear without changing the rpm of the upper gear you are coming from, then you are either a truck driver or a Jid-I master--like myself!--the force is with you...you feel the force...

Maybe I am just a 'sensitive' kind of guy...:tongue:
No wonder I am always asking my girl to pay attention to me
She always come home and just watches TV, dont say nothing
She never talks. I want to know how she feels. :rolleyes: "What are you thinking"? I ask her:
How come you are always on the computer? Who are talking with? Are you on e-harmony?
'Make a sandwich and bring me a beer hon' is all she ever says to me...:p

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Nando, yeah you feel it a little and sometimes you try to shift up one more time, but I have done that with the 70 on too.
I did about 22 years of shifting something big from straight 6 speeds to 5X4, 4X3 with 2speed dif, to 18 speed. Sometimes fun and other times a pain in the rear.

So I bought an RV to relax, and I was still shifting. :lol:

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
CLAMPER,

I hear you loud and clear bro.

What has happened to me with the 70 is that I am hauling down the freeway and realize I am still on 4th...then I go into that overdrive 5th feeling.

I am hoping the 205 will make it more comfy on the gear ration issue.
My spine does not like OEM cementals...BTW who came up with this term "cemental"?

We should start a vocabulary archive for unique darksiding lingo...;)

I 'll take credit for "Wingabego"
We need owner for others:
WOCT: that means Wing on Car Tires, only Stick and I use this terminology
Holy Grail
Cemental
Double darkies
Naysayers
Laen, who made this up? I still don't know what it means!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts