GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today, the Dunlop WinterSport hit 20,000 miles, since installed last July, less than five months ago. It has been a very good, first experience with a ct; no complaints, but I have nothing else to compare it with. This tire looks to have about another 5000 miles left, but I am already stoked to try another brand of ct.

I read the archives here quite often, and have decided to try a Pirellli Snow Control next. I plan to buy the tire on line, buy a spare rear wheel, then try once again, to mount it here at home with my HF tire machine. First, I will visit Harbor Freight and look for larger tire spoons. Will also buy a, "Helping Hand" on line, and fab some wooden spacer blocks, per the Sticky above. Once I have the new tire mounted, it will be difficult to restrain myself from installing it before the WinterSport is completely worn out.

Thanks to all who have posted here, and helped me decide on the next tire. I am sure I am gonna love the Perilli Snow Control!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Joe...
I'd be interested to see you Dissect your Wintersport... to see if there is any De-lamination as occurred on my first one, at 20k miles.

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/15-...-mortum-175-60-16-dunlop-wintersport-rof.html

Note that I was using it on a 1500, which has a narrower rim width than a 1800... hence the Installation and Loading probably stresses it differently.
I've consumed several Wintersports since then (on the 1500), without further problems (Yes I dissected them all)

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AlexB, I read the link you provided, and it looks like you discovered a potentially serious situation with that tire. In your dissecting others since, have you discovered that problem again? I am probably not up to the trouble of dissecting mine, but will inspect it carefully tomorrow morning, on the center stand. I have not had any reason to suspect anything wrong with this tire, so far. It is still smooth, and does everything I expect a good tire to do.

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Too bad we aren't closer Joe.

I have a Snow Control with about 9k miles on it on my good rim('12 OEM and powder coated) sitting in the basement. It has maybe 3k or more left on it. I had to run psi at 34 for it to make curves for me and it wore the center a little more.

I like the Centurato Pirelli P1 better for various reasons and it is on my spare that i have on the Wing. The P1 mileage is @ 13500. and 3 or 4k left? not sure. Supposedly not a high mileage tire but anything over 15k and i will be really happy. A lot of slab miles on vacation this year though.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
AlexB, I read the link you provided, and it looks like you discovered a potentially serious situation with that tire. In your dissecting others since, have you discovered that problem again? I am probably not up to the trouble of dissecting mine, but will inspect it carefully tomorrow morning, on the center stand. I have not had any reason to suspect anything wrong with this tire, so far. It is still smooth, and does everything I expect a good tire to do.

Thanks for the heads up.

Joe...
No problems since, on the 4-Wintersports consumed.
I simply am more cautious about wearing out the Edges, as they are Thin; and inspect the tread for Bulges (Delaminations) on a regular basis.

Just switched to an 1800, and immediately put a Wintersport Snow Control on it as well... as I love the tire so much. I'll chop it up, as soon as it's consumed.

^ Left: Failed Tire....................................................... Right: New/Identical Tire

·
Registered
350 Posts
"Today, the Dunlop WinterSport hit 20,000 miles, since installed last July, less than five months ago." JoeHall

To be honest, I'm more impressed with your doing 20K miles in 5 months than I am the tire!:bow::bow::bow:

:flg: 'Murica!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
"Today, the Dunlop WinterSport hit 20,000 miles, since installed last July, less than five months ago." JoeHall

To be honest, I'm more impressed with your doing 20K miles in 5 months than I am the tire!:bow::bow::bow:

December 9th will be exactly six months since I bought and rode the GW home, on June 9th. It was a retirement present to self. My goal is to ride the bike 25,000 miles in six months, and today it is at 24,440. (I installed the Dunlop 3900 miles after I bought the bike.) Unless we get a blizzard that refuses to go away, I should make the 25,000. That would be a lifetime record, of over 50 years' riding. If it is done, I'd attribute it to the wonderful GL1800 and retirement. Though I did once ride 15,000 miles in three months, on a BMW boxer, back in the mid 1980s. :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
December 9th will be exactly six months since I bought and rode the GW home, on June 9th. It was a retirement present to self. My goal is to ride the bike 25,000 miles in six months, and today it is at 24,440. (I installed the Dunlop 3900 miles after I bought the bike.) Unless we get a blizzard that refuses to go away, I should make the 25,000. That would be a lifetime record, of over 50 years' riding. If it is done, I'd attribute it to the wonderful GL1800 and retirement. Though I did once ride 15,000 miles in three months, on a BMW boxer, back in the mid 1980s. :)

Between commuting to work and a weekend ride every now and then, I'm averaging close to 2000 miles/month.
I thought I was the man........ Shoooot..... Joe da Man!!!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why not have it mounted at a tire shop for $10??:smile2:
That would gladly be plan 'A', but those shops are hard to find around here. I have thought of ordering a tire through a local tire shop for a, "trailer", hopefully without prepaying. When it comes in, take them the trailer wheel in for mounting. If they won't mount it, then I don't pay for the tire. I have been told places like Sam's Club and WalMart will do it without any questions.

The plan of mounting it myself is to give me some independence, and not have to scheme in order to get someone else to mount it for me.

Reactions: BigBob1

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Try an independent motorcycle shop, they will usually do it.:smile2:
I had mine mounted at Discount tire.
I was going to use the trailer story, but they didn't even ask.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Dunlop now has 21.5 miles on it, and wearing slowly. As miles tick by, I continue to inspect it and think, "its got about another 5000 still."

I ordered a Pirelli Snow Control, and a spare wheel. Both are in shipment, and due here soon. My younger brother will install the tire. He has been working at an auto repair facility for many years. Though he no longer changes tires, he said, if need be, he will install my ct himself. Employees there are very familiar with run flat tires, so he probably will not need to do it himself. I dunno why I did not think of him before. The cost is $20, and well worth it to me. I plan to also order a Bridgestone Drive Guard, to install on the wheel the Dunlop is currently on. That way, I will have two different setups to, "play with", and should not have to buy another tire for awhile.

I am eager to wear this Dunlop out, and try something new. Nothing wrong with the Dunlop, I am just eager to try something new.

Reactions: 231wingman

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts