GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have decided to go with the wireless route to see what I have been missing. I just received my 20S EVO's and should be receiving my Firewire in a day or so. I ride solo mostly but sometimes with my son or my wife. I will use the 20S's to handle that communication. I have been using the J&M unit to handle streaming tunes from my phone to the CD input on my radio. The J&M is also integrated into the intercom system to handle making and receiving calls. I like the idea of this setup because I rarely play tunes in my headset but instead prefer the dash speakers. Also I can control switching between tunes by using the tune/disk switch. When a call comes in, it will say the phone number of the caller over the speakers and if I want to answer, I hit the tune/disk switch down, the music is paused, and I'm connected although I will usually then switch the audio to headset so the conversation is private. Now with the Freewire, my plan was to only have the one and it will mostly be there so I can continue to use my CB on group rides. But it looks like it would also be necessary if I want to continue using my J&M setup to answer calls.

My concerns are though that I have read many threads about intercom echo. I am concerned that this may make using my J&M setup for calls an issue. I know that I could just pair up my phone with the 20S and handle calls that way. I do like the way the J&M will pause the music for the duration of the call and when finished, starts back up again. I also like that I dont have to take my hands off the handlebars to answer or end a call. But I guess with the Sena paired with the phone, I could just turn the volume of the music down during calls. On my phone, I know I can set the pairing for the J&M for music only and then I'm guessing that I can setup the pairing for the 20S for just phone calls. Would this be the best way to go? Or leave it with the J&M handling music along with calls? And how will the sound quality/echo be with calls as it will end up using the intercom?

And that brings up the Freewire. I have read many threads that talk about problems with delay and echo. Has anyone been having this been an issue with using the CB? I also read that some have been having problems with the Sena headset microphones overpowering and over modulating on the GL1800 CB causing others to have problems understanding the transmissions. Has anyone had this issue? If so, have firmware updates helped with this?

And back to the original question, with this setup, what would be the most ideal pairing method between all of these?

·
Registered
48 Posts
its hard to explaine, but i'll try,,,,,,one thing don't pair up the 20s with the phone first, let the 20s pair up to the freewire, then just turn Bluetooth on,,,,it should pair auto.....this the stereo system on the goldwing, each system has its on v-level, set the music first then set the cb system......once your paired up to the freewire you don't have to do it any more, it remembers your 20s. haven't had any problem with my system yet i'm running 20s evo,,,,, only thing i didn't like was if you wanted the passinger to have music from the system, yo have to buy another freewire ,,,,,wrote sena about that....good luck......

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That info will help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts