GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have knowledge of pros or cons on these two units on the ‘18?

Really interested in sound quality and compatibility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
794 Posts
Does anyone have knowledge of pros or cons on these two units on the ‘18?

Really interested in sound quality and compatibility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Can't speak for the 20s. However, I can for the J&M BT04. The quality is excellent & I haven't had any trouble with it after the updates to the the new Wing. I never run out of battery & I would rather listen to my music with it over any other possible way to listen to it. The sound is just better. :serious: :smile2: :wink2:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have two Sena 20s EVO
They work great as intercom and also bike to bike is good for limited distance. Here in the mountains of N.C. it is mainly line of sight. I was in West Texas last month doing a IBA 1000 with a buddy and the distance was much greater in flat land. Music is ok but I mainly use mine for communication. So far after about 18 months they have been reliable. I don't have experience with other brands.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Can't speak for the 20s. However, I can for the J&M BT04. The quality is excellent & I haven't had any trouble with it after the updates to the the new Wing. I never run out of battery & I would rather listen to my music with it over any other possible way to listen to it. The sound is just better. :serious: :smile2: :wink2:
I agree with Al. I have 3 of the J&M BT-04 units. They work perfect, always sinc in seconds, sound amazing, and their customer service is #1 in the industry! :grin2:

·
Registered
942 Posts
Used older j&m Bluetooth years ago and I’m sure they have progressed significantly since. Always loved their wired products and customer service. Switched to Sena Bluetooth years ago and have their 10 u and 20s evo. Both work great with 18 wing. One item of note is they have universal pairing so you can pair with most any brand bt your Co riders have.
My thoughts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
My Sena 20s Evo units work flawlessly. The typical helmet speakers in any of these systems is only as good as the placement of the speakers is to the ears so far as any system I have tried. My head is kinda big and roundish, so any fit of those speakers is typically too tight or off center. I did not even install them with the 20s Evo in my helmet; I opted for high quality insert phones. Super! Maybe the other brand you are considering is compatible with is
prs compatible with mini-plug output too? If so, "sounds" like you are good to go either way.

prs

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have the J&M BT03+ and the sound quality is great, and their service is amazing. If you call they are always willing to help you, and generally it's a user issue that they walk you thru. I thought my headset had an issue charging, and happened to be at a rally and walked up to their trailer at the show. They tested my headset and it turned out to be the cord. Gave me a new cord with no charge.

My wife and I have been as much as a 1/4 mile apart and we can still talk to each other. Phone quality is fantastic. I've been on the phone with some people, and I tell them I'm on the bike and they can't believe it. We've had the batteries last as long as two days. We've traveled with some friends that have Sena's, and they have to do a quick charge during the lunch break to make it for a long day.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I agree with Al. I have 3 of the J&M BT-04 units. They work perfect, always sinc in seconds, sound amazing, and their customer service is #1 in the industry! :grin2:
ill disagree on that. ive reached out a couple times and no messages returned.

·
Registered
162 Posts
ill disagree on that. ive reached out a couple times and no messages returned.
That's also been my most recent experience (no e-mail response from owner, John Lazzeroni after two e-mails to him) since having our dealer install the OEM (Honda) CB radio and now having multiple issues with BT04's!

Moving on to different company that hopefully will have more respect for its customers!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Anyone with CB on their bike using the Sena SRL?

I am satisfied with the the 20S for intercom with my wife, and for telephone use.
Because we are considering Shoei Neotec II helmets, we are interested in the Sena SRL, which Sena says "functions like" their "top selling 20S" model: https://www.sena.com/product/srl .

Since adding the factory CB to bike, we've had multiple issues with our J&M BT04's and have decided to switch camps, probably to Sena. It doesn't hurt that Honda seems to recommend the 20S for the '18 Gold Wing's, either.

Does anyone with a CB on their 2018 Gold Wing have experience with the Sena SRL?

I'm including two photos (of product boxes) I recently took at a vendor's booth in Americade showing the spec's for the SRL & 20S EVO. One obvious difference in the specs is the slightly less range of the SRL, but since our intercom communication needs are solely between rider and passenger, I do not consider this a disadvantage and wonder if it (less range) is attributable to a reception compromise when the Bluetooth unit is integrated into the helmet.

Thanks for your input!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Because we are considering Shoei Neotec II helmets, we are interested in the Sena SRL, which Sena says "functions like" their "top selling 20S" model: https://www.sena.com/product/srl .

Since adding the factory CB to bike, we've had multiple issues with our J&M BT04's and have decided to switch camps, probably to Sena. It doesn't hurt that Honda seems to recommend the 20S for the '18 Gold Wing's, either.

Does anyone with a CB on their 2018 Gold Wing have experience with the Sena SRL?

I'm including two photos (of product boxes) I recently took at a vendor's booth in Americade showing the spec's for the SRL & 20S EVO. One obvious difference in the specs is the slightly less range of the SRL, but since our intercom communication needs are solely between rider and passenger, I do not consider this a disadvantage and wonder if it (less range) is attributable to a reception compromise when the Bluetooth unit is integrated into the helmet.

Thanks for your input!
are you selling those J&Ms?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I have read posts here and on other supply sites about customer service issues. Many deal with a customer sending email's and not having great responses.
This is not good, but there seems to be too much reliance on email's getting through. It appears that some get tossed into spam. Some get overlooked because the business has so many other communications throughout the day. Some are just never opened.
The bottom line appears to be that we may rely just too much on email's. I know with my work and dealing with suppliers and ordering specialty maintenance items, some emails just get lost or overlooked because to the "subject" posted, or their system see's it as spam for some reason.

A phone call seems to be the best solution in most all these cases. For me....I chose to talk to a real person if I have an issue with a service or product.
This about always resolves any issues.... unless I'm put on hold or get the ridiculous automated phone system message from some companies "I' sorry your having trouble, good by"!!!:surprise:

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Different company

That's also been my most recent experience (no e-mail response from owner, John Lazzeroni after two e-mails to him) since having our dealer install the OEM (Honda) CB radio and now having multiple issues with BT04's!

Moving on to different company that hopefully will have more respect for its customers!
If you are moving from J&M to Sena to get better service, you will be sadly disappointed. Sena service is easy to get pat answers from but it is not very responsive to serious issues. I am in communication with a guy that has many headsets that have been purchased for his riding group and they are not working. This has been going on for months and Sena has no answer for him. If you go over to the Sena support forums, you will find many examples of people who have opened cases with Sena and they do not get resolved. I use Sena personally, but not because they have good support. I called Sena about a connection to my Garmin GPS and was told they support connections to the Garmin LMT396, but they did not support connecting to the LMT396-S. There is no LMT396, and the LMT396-S is on their published compatibility list. The support person was not even familiar with their own published compatibility guide.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a pair of the Sena 20s Evos so far I like them I have contacted Sena using there online chat support trying to get the music sharing to work and with their help I did get it working once but haven't been able to get it working since. I tried contacting the chat support again but was unable to resolve the issue so I listen to my music from the zumo sd card and my bride listens to hers from her phone. Everything Else seems to work as advertised until it doesn't LOL. As far as Sena support goes I think its hit and miss depending on who you get support from in those chat sessions.

DennisF

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have read posts here and on other supply sites about customer service issues. Many deal with a customer sending email's and not having great responses.
This is not good, but there seems to be too much reliance on email's getting through. It appears that some get tossed into spam. Some get overlooked because the business has so many other communications throughout the day. Some are just never opened.
The bottom line appears to be that we may rely just too much on email's. I know with my work and dealing with suppliers and ordering specialty maintenance items, some emails just get lost or overlooked because to the "subject" posted, or their system see's it as spam for some reason.

A phone call seems to be the best solution in most all these cases. For me....I chose to talk to a real person if I have an issue with a service or product.
This about always resolves any issues.... unless I'm put on hold or get the ridiculous automated phone system message from some companies "I' sorry your having trouble, good by"!!!:surprise:

Corventure Dave
In general, your point that a phone call can be a better communication method than e-mail is well taken, though in this case given the complexity of the issues involved I saw the importance of documenting everything in writing by using the e-mail method. John and I had a good, reliable e-mail communications in the past leading up to the current issues, but once we had real troubling issues - beginning once the Honda factory CB was installed on bike, and reported these issues to John in not one, but two e-mails, he was now silent. Last week (at a very busy motorcycle rally event in the Northeast where J&M had a display) I followed up with John in-person, providing him with my e-mail address, asking that he review my concerns and get back to me. I'm still waiting.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you are moving from J&M to Sena to get better service, you will be sadly disappointed. Sena service is easy to get pat answers from but it is not very responsive to serious issues. I am in communication with a guy that has many headsets that have been purchased for his riding group and they are not working. This has been going on for months and Sena has no answer for him. If you go over to the Sena support forums, you will find many examples of people who have opened cases with Sena and they do not get resolved. I use Sena personally, but not because they have good support. I called Sena about a connection to my Garmin GPS and was told they support connections to the Garmin LMT396, but they did not support connecting to the LMT396-S. There is no LMT396, and the LMT396-S is on their published compatibility list. The support person was not even familiar with their own published compatibility guide.
I have no illusions that Sena or any other company with a similar product in today's marketplace is a better or worse company to deal with than J&M. We just want a product that works properly with all audio streams on the 2018 Gold Wing and after contacting Honda PowerSports (in CA), filing a case # reporting our issues, and then per Honda's recommendation following up with our selling dealer who consulted his local Honda Service Manager, all say the Sena 20S EVO is tested and works properly with the bike.

We need (in order of priority): 1) reliable intercom between rider & passenger, 2) reliable CB operation, 3) reliable NAV annunciation, 4) reliable ability to receive / make calls on riders Android phone, 5) Music (mostly XM radio), but our lowest priority.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Issues

I have no illusions that Sena or any other company with a similar product in today's marketplace is a better or worse company to deal with than J&M. We just want a product that works properly with all audio streams on the 2018 Gold Wing and after contacting Honda PowerSports (in CA), filing a case # reporting our issues, and then per Honda's recommendation following up with our selling dealer who consulted his local Honda Service Manager, all say the Sena 20S EVO is tested and works properly with the bike.

We need (in order of priority): 1) reliable intercom between rider & passenger, 2) reliable CB operation, 3) reliable NAV annunciation, 4) reliable ability to receive / make calls on riders Android phone, 5) Music (mostly XM radio), but our lowest priority.

Thanks for your input!
There have been issues reported here with the Sena headsets and CB operation. I have not heard that has been fixed. These problems are almost all situation dependent so just because it works for one person does not mean it will work for all. My suggestion is to get the headsets from a company that will give you at least a few days to try the headsets and still return them. Please note: I am a Sena user and have not used J&M because I thought for the situation I was looking at their prices seemed high. OTOH, I understand in electronics, the price is largely determined by the production quantity. There is no way J&M can compete with Sena on quantity.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts