GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early last year I went darkside with the KUMHO ECSTA Runflat on the rear. After 21,200 miles, it is showing about a 1/8" wind strip of metal on the left side. It has been run at 32 psi all this time. Now I have to make the decision to replace in kind or find something else. I prefer to stay with a runflat on the rear. If any of you have some suggestions, I'm listening. Will be ordering within the next day or so. Tomorrow was to be a 400 mile trip to include Sonora Pass. This SUCKS to stay at home.:eek:4::frown:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Stay with what your happy with...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Stay with what your happy with...
Or try something new, whatever makes you happy.

A lot of people like the pirelli run flats too, if I had stayed with run flat tires I would have tried one. But as far as run flats go I was also happy with the Kuhmo I had.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Early last year I went darkside with the KUMHO ECSTA Runflat on the rear. After 21,200 miles, it is showing about a 1/8" wind strip of metal on the left side. It has been run at 32 psi all this time. Now I have to make the decision to replace in kind or find something else. I prefer to stay with a runflat on the rear. If any of you have some suggestions, I'm listening. Will be ordering within the next day or so. Tomorrow was to be a 400 mile trip to include Sonora Pass. This SUCKS to stay at home.:eek:4::frown:
The Kumho RF is my favorite tire but thanks to jwolffie I have tried one of the new LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) tires and it has some nice characteristics. The one I am trying (Bridgestone Ecopia EP100) is not a run-flat. However, Bridgestone does have a run-flat version of an LRR tire that has caught my interest. It is a Turanza ER300-02 and I might just try it next time (so many tires, so little time).

For convenience here is a link to some run-flats on tirerack.com http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=195/&ratio=55&diameter=16
I am sure if you shop around you can find better prices than tirerack.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
No sympathy.

Tire should have been changed long ago.

That is a lot of miles on a tire, not matter what kind it is.

These things are why I do not believe the my tire blew up stories. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Ramblin Fever, You better find any tire locally that you can. Please.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm just happy to read about any mileage over 12,000 because until last Saturday that's as high as I could count on my m/t. Unbelievable quiet and smoothness.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Wow. Sounds like that tire is over due for replacement.

I've run the Pirelli [email protected] and am now running the Kuhmo Ecsta SPT XRP. I definately prefer the Kuhmo over the Pirelli. The Kuhmo transitions from side to side much more easily and reacts less to road camber/debris than the Pirelli. I only got 12.5k out of the Pirelli but I replaced it about 1/32 before I hit the wear bars.

I'm hoping for similar mileage (12-15k) out of the Kuhmo.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
There are so many good tires out there, just chose one and ride it!:thumbup:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No sympathy.

Tire should have been changed long ago.

That is a lot of miles on a tire, not matter what kind it is.

These things are why I do not believe the my tire blew up stories. :tongue:
A few on this forum have seen 30K on their Kumho. I'm relatively happy with 22K since I would have worn out 2 sets of OEM tires. I was running at 32psi and maybe should have increased to 34psi. If someone wo knows for sure please step in and let me know.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ramblin Fever, You better find any tire locally that you can. Please.
Oredered another tire from Tire Rack and shipped to the shop I do business with. Will be installed first thing Monday morning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts