GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
That filter looks good. Mine looks worse after just a couple of thousand. You must not leave home much.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Just changed mine lately also and after 35,000 miles it looked just about like yours, granted most of my riding is done on asphalt, in fact all of it is. While I am glad I changed it and that is behind me, still I don't think it would have hurt to put more miles on it without changing.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Open up the pleats and look in them. Thats where the fine dirt like particles like to hang out. I change mine about every 15k or so and its filthy. So much of that, more than anything I guess depends on what type or where you ride.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
The thing is,when the dirt gets to the point it is to in that filter the air flow is already restricted,the pcm will adjsut the air fuel ratio to compensate for this to a certain extent,but if it gets too bad it can no longer lean itsself out enough to compensate and then the bike starts running rich and this can cause 02 sensor damage,just my 02 cents worth.So u changed the filter just in time imho_OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
461 Posts
Inspected mine to the point of disecting it, and as I say I think it was time or close to time but not filty by no means.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Fred H. said:
Next time you remove your seat, take note of all the dust and grime under it. That is the same stuff that goes in your air filter.
Or if you have a K & N filter, what goes in your engine.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

DaleC

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
This is what mine looked like a couple of weeks ago when I changed it at 22K Known miles on it. I don't know when it was changed, or if, before I bought it last year in Dec. I think it was ready.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Good point Fred. Thats why I keep the underneath of my seat spotless. Keeps my air filter cleaner :cus:

Whats worse is thats we breath in every day also. After I do a full day of riding, like 500 to 1000 miles, the next day my head feels like its about to blow up.

·
Registered
17,037 Posts
Fred H. said:
Next time you remove your seat, take note of all the dust and grime under it. That is the same stuff that goes in your air filter.
Think that over again Fred. The air intakes are up front, ahead of where the tires kick-up dust and grit. The generous amount of dust and grime we find under the seat appears to me to be road grime kicked up by the rear wheel. You even went to the trouble to place a home made barrier between the rear wheel "well" and the underside of the seat area; right? So at that time you must have thought the grime was comming from there.

If you wann know what has been going into your air intake, then look at your wind shield. That too is a lot of stuff.

prs

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Calm down Pigeon! I think you know what he is talking about. I hate how my underseat looks like. Drives me crazy. I clean that sucker like brand new about every other month. If I ever have an electrical problem I dont want to work in all that mess. You should see my car engines.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Toyo said:
Good point Fred. Thats why I keep the underneath of my seat spotless. Keeps my air filter cleaner :cus:

Whats worse is thats we breath in every day also. After I do a full day of riding, like 500 to 1000 miles, the next day my head feels like its about to blow up.
You ain't kiddin either. I think you clean under your seat everytime you git offun yur bike........ :lol: :lol:

Ross

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Toyo, what zaino product do you recommend for under the seat? :lol: Tim

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
shuckaduck said:
Toyo, what zaino product do you recommend for under the seat? :lol: Tim
Tim, I think he called them BUTT BUFFERS :wink: :wink:

Ross