GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 2200 miles on the '12 GW. It's been mostly getting familiar with a new style of riding and an extra 400 pounds of machinery. So here are a few comments, not much different than others have posted.

1. The engine is amazingly smooth. I can't think of a better design for a cruising bike. The six cylinder boxer has enough torque to satisfy anyone and pulls like a mule. The flat six makes the 900+ pounds seem much less because the center of mass is very low. Even at low speeds it's amazingly well balanced.
2. The transmission with five gears is fine. I hear about 6 gears but with all that torque there are no dead spots that I could find. You might want 6 speeds with a "peaky" hi-reving engine but the GW flat six has more torque and than many car engines. It just pulls. A gear indicator would be a good addition and don't understand why the GW doesn't have one. Just nice now and then to look down. I'm getting accustomed to hearing the transmission clank now and then, it could use a re-desgin, maybe in the 2013. Like shifting with a ball peen hammer every now and then, but I'm hoping miles will smooth it out. :lol:
3. The windscreen needs to be electric. The wind protection is very good and in hot weather here in Arizona it's too good. It would be nice to be able to adjust it up and down depending on the weather.
4. The Nav contols were designed by an attorney or the village idiot. You can't turn it on while moving and then you have the dumb ass sign in notice when you do. You have to use the bar control to zoom in or out. Maybe it should all have been on the bar and left off the antiquated CB controls. Guess there are GW'ers out there who love and use a CB, so that won't work.
5. The suspension is great. I've ridden solo and two up and it doesn't fuss, just hauls down the road with plenty olf power to spare. An HD rider friend told me his bike was being shaken by a bad road we were on and he said he looked at the GW and it was glass smooth. He was impressed.
6. It's a good bike for what it's designed to do. It's not the ultimate motorcycle in the world but that's not taking anything away from it. At 900+ pounds and 130ft/lbs of torque it's not the "chubby girl you took to the dance" it's a rhinoceros. If it had body armor you could go to war on it.
7. I would like to see what Honda could do with the same engine and wrap a more modern bike around it. I understand the minor tweaks they did to the 2012 for a stop-gap, with taking it back home and the economy although it hurt us it makes sense for them. It will be interesting to see what they do for the next gen.
I'm enjoying a new style of riding, more relaxed and a lot more creature comforts. We're planning a trip in a few months when it cools off.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Glad you like the new wing. Sounds like that some of the improvements really work. When you say 400 more pounds,did you own a different bike? Your part of Az has some nice riding.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Too much torque..

Ya just had to bring up the "5 speed is enough" stuff again didnt ya!!? LOL! I also want to point out that shift indicator lights are not necessary if you never make mistakes like a few people who post here..:bow: :popcorn:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've owned a few bikes over the years, from a 2 stroke 250cc X-6 Hustler to an FJR-1300 (my last bike). My BMW 1150 R needed the 6 speeds and the FJR could have benefited from an extra gear only because of corners, not horsepower. The GW has so much low end torque and is a very different style of riding (yes, I've seen the Tail of the Dragon videos and I've also seen a 707 do a barrel roll). The GW is what it is, a very comfortable cruising bike with long legs, not a sport bike. I agree with not needing a gear indicator, as I said, however it's nice sometimes to look down and see the gear, just saying.

I got the "Red Rhino" so my wife can ride with me in comfort. She loves the seat and the head sets so she can have a conversation with me (don't know why) and also listen to her music. We've been together for 36 years so it's nice to have her along. When I put the brakes on she doesn't hit my back nor does the bike "dive" it just slows down. The GW does what I expected it to do and it does it better than most other bikes out there so I really appreciate the great design. It's even a pleasure riding solo.

I believe the low compression huge 6 cylinder engine should go 200K miles easily and if I could have a second bike it would be the FJR. Both great bikes and both do what they were designed for very well.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Good review. Glad you like the bike.

Works for me. I think if we had as many motorcycle riders as we do car drivers, we would probalby have more options in the way of our preferred wants and desires. Since we do have the huge deficit ratio of car to motorcycle drivers, we are sort of stuck with what we get. Also, I think it would certainly help the costs if we had a lot more motorcyclists. Supply and demand reasoning...

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Glad you like it. I agree with your comments......the only two things I miss from my former R1200RT are the gear indicator and the electrically adjustable windshield. Otherwise, the Wing is perfect for me.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Interesting... you know with this description, you could substitute any GL1800 year and be correct. The GL1800 is just about the ultimate touring machine. Period.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I agree with your assessment my friend that it's a great cruising bike but, for the long haul, it's an even better touring bike.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Im a new owner of a 2009 GL1800 and I agree with everything you say. I have kept the VTX 1800c.

When my wife & I were riding it for the first time, after about 10 minutes of local roads, she said I should go find some bumps. I told her we were on the same roads that I here gunts from the back when we are on the X.

Love the bike so far, still getting used to the top heavy feeling at slow speeds.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad you like it. I agree with your comments......the only two things I miss from my former R1200RT are the gear indicator and the electrically adjustable windshield. Otherwise, the Wing is perfect for me.
Many times I rode into the local dealer here I could ride other bikes. They were all pretty nice and I enjoyed riding other brands. Several times when I left there was a temperature shift down (we're at 5000') and I would just tweak the electric windshield up on the FJR and a big grin would come over my face. Why would I want to swap the FJR for any of them. But then I rode the GW and thought about how easy it could handle my wife and me. As you said and I agree, I miss the electric windshield and shift indicator.

The GW is a geat touring machine for sure.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
RR, :congrats: glad your enjoying your new wing!:thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts